Bayern at home

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: Bayern at home

Post by nut flush gooner »

Goonuz71 wrote:
Theoperator wrote:8) 8)

Ungrateful heathen, no wonder they lost

...Question Time ...how come the "stewards" allowed the Banners in ?

The megaphone in ?

And the Germans generally doing what should be done at a football match ?...encouraging their team on ?

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: Just Asking :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:
Can we protest about their beer prices then??

:D :D :D :D :) :) :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Several thoughts :oops: , Firstly re Wally/ Giroud

I like the impact sub that Giroud seems to be played as- Basically Wally runs the defenders batteries down with his runs. His header last night showed again he isnt there and I doubt he ever will be a CF of any huge success in terms of his goals. Neurer was made to look good when he just was patting a ball away hit towards him. The one thing though is at least Wally does shoot, and at times the ball is patted back to oncoming midfielders to knock it in.

BUT having tired the defenders out on comes Giroud whos physical strength is much underrated (Though his stamina is well reported :wink: ) the already tired defence than have a totally different attacker to deal with.

Would Wally have gambled and put his head where Girouds was- no. Would non tired defenders have let Giroud get where he did- possibly not.

Its an interesting tactic, quite the opposite of the traditional tire them out and stick a sprinter on. I like it.

Secondly Ox- we all love his driving play but his positioning and awareness of what to do is really worrying. looks like he will have a run in the side now which we are all pleased about but with that he must devellop his teamwork and awareness.

Re Alexis- his miss if Ozils goal had been judged not to be by the man in yellow who are a real embarrasment TBH then Alexis shot over would have been up there for miss of the decade. :oops: . The guy is immense, but will surely tire out soon....?

Lastly- anyone of an AKB nature reading this thread will see credit handed out all over the place when a manager handles the game well- never let that be forgotten :evil:

augie

Post by augie »

Can I ask again if ye lads think that the other result in the group last night, will suit or not suit us ? I have seen the table but cant figure out if a draw in the other game would have worked better for us or not :? I would think that a Zagreb win last night would have been better for us given that we have already played them away so they would have to come to the grove and get at least a draw.

As I have said on numerous occasions, I'm not really bothered about this competition but because we are in it I will watch it, and the fact that the outcome of the group will probably go to the last game will make it somewhat exciting I guess. I have continually said that we will qualify and I still 100% believe that even if we lose in munich we will still go through after a 2-0 win in Greece in matchday 6

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

It was a bit embarrassing that the Germans protested about the ticket prices when this is something that Asenal supporter groups should have done long ago. What was more embarrassing was that we didnt take this opportunity to also protest with them.

Our supporters looked pathetic clapping them for their protest. They must have just thought what a load of mugs the Arsenal supporters are.

Good win - sadly though due to the arrogance of Wenger we will still be stuggling to get out of the group whilst the Germans will ease through in first place. We would not have won last night had that been a knockout game

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

augie wrote:Can I ask again if ye lads think that the other result in the group last night, will suit or not suit us ? I have seen the table but cant figure out if a draw in the other game would have worked better for us or not :? I would think that a Zagreb win last night would have been better for us given that we have already played them away so they would have to come to the grove and get at least a draw.

As I have said on numerous occasions, I'm not really bothered about this competition but because we are in it I will watch it, and the fact that the outcome of the group will probably go to the last game will make it somewhat exciting I guess. I have continually said that we will qualify and I still 100% believe that even if we lose in munich we will still go through after a 2-0 win in Greece in matchday 6
Probably the worst of the three results. What we didn't want was either of them taking 6 points in the two matches and particularly with Olympiakos having won at ours. If we lose in Germany and they win at home. Then assuming we beat Zagreb at home they must lose to Bayern and then we have to win by two clear goals in Greece (or 4-3/5-4 would do it).

As for the game, I agree that Bellerin was given the run around in the first half, good experience for him though to come up against a world class winger. He never gave up though and his pace and desire for the second was outstanding. When Costa started switching to the other side in the second half Monreal showed great experience in when to go in early and when to stand off him.

Live Ozil didn't look in the game a lot of the time but I read this morning he actually won back the ball more times than any other player (9) which just goes to show how his style can be so deceiving!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Theoperator wrote:Several thoughts :oops: , Firstly re Wally/ Giroud

I like the impact sub that Giroud seems to be played as- Basically Wally runs the defenders batteries down with his runs. His header last night showed again he isnt there and I doubt he ever will be a CF of any huge success in terms of his goals. Neurer was made to look good when he just was patting a ball away hit towards him. The one thing though is at least Wally does shoot, and at times the ball is patted back to oncoming midfielders to knock it in.

BUT having tired the defenders out on comes Giroud whos physical strength is much underrated (Though his stamina is well reported :wink: ) the already tired defence than have a totally different attacker to deal with.

Would Wally have gambled and put his head where Girouds was- no. Would non tired defenders have let Giroud get where he did- possibly not.

Its an interesting tactic, quite the opposite of the traditional tire them out and stick a sprinter on. I like it.

Secondly Ox- we all love his driving play but his positioning and awareness of what to do is really worrying. looks like he will have a run in the side now which we are all pleased about but with that he must devellop his teamwork and awareness.

Re Alexis- his miss if Ozils goal had been judged not to be by the man in yellow who are a real embarrasment TBH then Alexis shot over would have been up there for miss of the decade. :oops: . The guy is immense, but will surely tire out soon....?

Lastly- anyone of an AKB nature reading this thread will see credit handed out all over the place when a manager handles the game well- never let that be forgotten :evil:
Alexis miss? I had a few beers last night but I think I managed to pick up it was the ox that missed the sitter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fbGSGwpyY

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Quite right mate- Its his hairstyle that foxes me, used to be easy- bald- Gibbs or Ox, (Even refs couldnt work them out :lol: ) not bald- the rest bald and beard wally, airdryed- Giroud, possibly Rambo that was an outstanding miss and he meant it- face on ground with embarrassment after

For those baldies feeling offended , I mean close cropped.... 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:Can I ask again if ye lads think that the other result in the group last night, will suit or not suit us ? I have seen the table but cant figure out if a draw in the other game would have worked better for us or not :? I would think that a Zagreb win last night would have been better for us given that we have already played them away so they would have to come to the grove and get at least a draw.

Yeah a draw would have been the best result last night and then for them to draw again in Greece. I reckon that late Olympiakos goal last night could well condemn us to SpursDay night football in the new year. Bayern's home form is unreal and I can't see anything other than defeat for us in Munich in 2 weeks time and Olympiakos should stroll to victory at home to Zagreb the same night. We then beat Zagreb at home, Olympiakos lose in Germany and we're left needing to win by 2 clear goals a la Anfield '89 in Greece on match day 6. Think we'll come a cropper there and the mother of all spunk fests will sadly be shelved until the lap of appreciation in May.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Nice one

:barscarf: 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:

...Question Time ...how come the "stewards" allowed the Banners in ?

The megaphone in ?

And the Germans generally doing what should be done at a football match ?...encouraging their team on ?

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: Just Asking :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

Can we protest about their beer prices then??

:D :D :D :D :) :) :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

You have a valid point, see they were all jumping up and down as well, stewards are s joke at Arsenal you get told to sit down and stp making a noise :banghead:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

rodders999 wrote:

Yeah a draw would have been the best result last night and then for them to draw again in Greece. I reckon that late Olympiakos goal last night could well condemn us to SpursDay night football in the new year. Bayern's home form is unreal and I can't see anything other than defeat for us in Munich in 2 weeks time and Olympiakos should stroll to victory at home to Zagreb the same night. We then beat Zagreb at home, Olympiakos lose in Germany and we're left needing to win by 2 clear goals a la Anfield '89 in Greece on match day 6. Think we'll come a cropper there and the mother of all spunk fests will sadly be shelved until the lap of appreciation in May.

Big questions out of all this is how the fuck did we manage to loose to Zagreb and Olympiakos!!!!

As much as Wenger takes credit for last nights brilliant result and the way the team was set up, he must be totally culpable for the debacle of the first 2 games regarding team selection and preparation

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I agree on the Walcott situation, and I think some Mis-guided people will have it in their heads that because Giroud has scored the last two games then that means he deserves to start. Walcottt's pace is frightening and it changes the game plan of every team we come up against. Walcott is never going to be a prolific striker, but his runs seem to open things up for the likes of Sanchez, Ozil etc.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I agree on the Walcott situation, and I think some Mis-guided people will have it in their heads that because Giroud has scored the last two games then that means he deserves to start. Walcottt's pace is frightening and it changes the game plan of every team we come up against. Walcott is never going to be a prolific striker, but his runs seem to open things up for the likes of Sanchez, Ozil etc.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BFG4 wrote:

Its an interesting tactic, quite the opposite of the traditional tire them out and stick a sprinter on. I like it

Giroud is the better finisher no doubt, Walcott has the pace...
We needed a combination of the 2 someone more agile than Giroud who would utilise Ozil and Cazorlas vision and range of passing

Giroud is good in the air and at hold up play, Walcott seems to have developed this season but to me does not have the conviction or confidence to ever be the striker we so desperately need

It is a dilemma, but one of Wengers making as he refused to buy a much needed top quality striker, but as he says none available apparently :shock:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

I think it's a bit late in the day to try and make Theo a striker. He either was when he came to us and should have been used there, or he should have been put there earlier, a lot earlier, to develop the role. I know he's only 26, but that's knocking on for learning your trade in football.