THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sean

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Sean »

And yet another humiliation tonight :(

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

He played a risky game tonight and backfired. He slated the kids but didn't have a pop at the first teamers. Gnabry and Akpom both should be at the club as this squad unless everyone is fully fit is still light. If we beat Swansea it'll be a fluke.

Blade

Post by Blade »

"none of the youngsters are ready for the 1st team".

Ok...

1.Why not?
2.Former 1st teamers? Debuchy,BFG,Cech,Giroud,Ox,Flamini all become duds?
3.Are we investing on wrong group of 'youngsters'?.
4.Why don't you let fans know you are throwing the match -save them the trouble.
5.Why has Chambers re-gressed so much over 15 months?.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Blade wrote: Why has Chambers re-gressed so much over 15 months?.
I didn't watch him at Southampton so I don't know if he has regressed, but £16m looks crazy money at the moment and he clearly needs games. How else can he learn his trade? - Ideally, I'd bring in a more experienced 4th choice centre back and loan Chambers out.

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
I didn't watch him at Southampton so I don't know if he has regressed, but he needs games. How else can he learn his trade? - Ideally, I'd bring in a more experienced 4th choice centre back and loan Chambers out.

Agree with the thinking behind that, but the flip side is that in games like last night we are left with senior pro's who cant be arsed, and young players that are not good enough - I suppose that we cant say for sure, but I like to think that had we had gnarby, akpom and zalalem last night we would have posed more of an attacking threat cos we were absolutely woeful going forward last night and lacked any creativity :roll:

Re chambers, I really for sorry for the kid - he looked really impressive when he joined us first, but he does seem to have suffered a real knock to his confidence since the swansea away game last season. I'm not sure if it is the game itself that has knocked him back, or the awareness that it seems that the vast majority of fans are now writing him off. I think that he is being treated badly if I'm honest and maybe it would be in his best interests to go on loan somewhere, cos this time last season many Gooners were writing off jenks and now it seems that they have done a u-turn on the guy :roll:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

g88ner wrote:
I didn't watch him at Southampton so I don't know if he has regressed, but £16m looks crazy money at the moment and he clearly needs games. How else can he learn his trade? - Ideally, I'd bring in a more experienced 4th choice centre back and loan Chambers out.
I think Cambers was thrown into the deep end a bit when he first came. We were lacking cover and he was playing all over the place. He started making bad mistakes and he totally lost confidence. i think a loan spell would do him good where he would be out of the spotlight a bit and he can quietly build his confidence.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Blade wrote:"none of the youngsters are ready for the 1st team".

Ok...

1.Why not?
2.Former 1st teamers? Debuchy,BFG,Cech,Giroud,Ox,Flamini all become duds?
3.Are we investing on wrong group of 'youngsters'?.
4.Why don't you let fans know you are throwing the match -save them the trouble.
5.Why has Chambers re-gressed so much over 15 months?.
So then genius, how do you find out if some of the youngsters are ready for the 1st team, unless you......erm.....play them in the 1st team?

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

slevinlacey wrote:
Theoperator wrote:
slevinlacey wrote:Can't believe how thin he has let the squad become. One attacking player from having no option than Joel Campbell. Clearly can't think enough of akpom or gnabry.
Both are on loan, TBF Gnabry hasnt done much other than to warm the bench, 2 appearences for WBA :oops: . Akpom has scored 2 in 15 games, so not really set things on fire at Hull- can we recall at a moments notice? In any case he plays Wally or Giroud as sole attacker so we are 2 away not one.

The overall squad is "short" but it seems more in the DM or CB positions rather than a striker that we are short. (I know we need a decent striker....)
Yep, I know they're on loan but couldn't have thought much to loan them out. Gnabry in his couple of appearances before his injury looked solid. Winning a pen v palace and the finish v Swansea away. He'd definitely be useful enough in some of our fixtures between now and the window (or when our new transfers return from injury). Still surprised we loaned to a Pulis team. Hopefully can recall but I know we won't.

Somehow need to get through from now until international break with no injuries or suspensions.
We all knew the injuries would come but Wenky didn't. To lose your two pace options in a league cup game which will now have consequences in the league again is another huge mistake. Nice to see afterwards he mentioned maybe should have rested a few more first team squad.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Its incredible to think that even when we rested the majority of our starting 11, we still needed to have our two main strikers in the squad last night(and in Giroud's case starting) due to our lack of striking options. Apart from the obvious fact that neither Giroud or Walcott are good enough to lead the line for a title winning team, the lack of depth is frightening.

Blade

Post by Blade »

Before AW, when we were a real team we had reserves and youngsters who could step up.

Price,Walford,Devine.Nicholas,Hayes,Dickov,Edu...

These days the difference between 1st team and reserves is huge.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

g88ner wrote:
The kid isn't a centre back and never has been.

He was a DM all through his youth career and then switched to RB as he was told it would give him a better chance for first team action at Southampton. He has put in some decent performances at CB in his earlier days but he was clearly not within a million miles of being ready to play there at This level a evidenced by the amount of times he'd get dragged well out of position by experienced strikers and either get skinned leaving acres of space or pick up a needless yellow.

For some reason people in this country have an obsession with young centre backs - perhaps because it is the one position where England had strength in depth previously with the likes of Campbell, Ferdinand, Terry, Carragher and King. Stones is a good prospect but it's laughable how pundits are fighting each other to ordain him with greater superlatives. Likewise look at the ridiculous praise heaped on the likes of smalling and Jones.

The kid looks like a right back and as soon as he ceased to be somebody making match day squads and getting regular game time should have been shipped out on loan. Let's not forget he only had 20-odd games of senior football under his belt prior to joining us.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

casgooner wrote:
g88ner wrote:
I think Cambers was thrown into the deep end a bit when he first came. We were lacking cover and he was playing all over the place. He started making bad mistakes and he totally lost confidence. i think a loan spell would do him good where he would be out of the spotlight a bit and he can quietly build his confidence.
Agreed Wenger absolutely set him up, putting him in the middle, he had some nightmare games and has never recovered
Loan spell or get rid I'm afraid

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

May I suggest he gets loaned out to a team with a good record of getting young players through their progamme with huge success , one thats sold on many yet only slightly affected their performance and that can actually beat The Chavs in a competitive match

:rubchin: :rubchin: Saints maybe :oops:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/why- ... ller-book/

We don't need Reus. "Too many similar players" LOL :lol:

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Ivan Gazidis, October 15th 2015, Arsenal AGM.
"The last few years, we have transformed and rejuvenated the squad. We have young talented players and a deep squad,"
Inspector Clueless, Tuesday night, somewhere in Sheffield.
"The occasion was too much for the young players. They were not ready to play at this level, none of them"
Someone is fibbing here.