FA cup fifth round draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
youngw

Re: FA cup fifth round draw

Post by youngw »

I would be amazed if the Premier League allowed for one of their fixtures to be moved outside of the standard FA Cup clashes (QF & SF).

The most sensible solution appears to play on QF day and we/Hull play the QF on the QF replay date. Of course if that game requires a replay too then the FA are in a bit of a pickle...

A Monday night game after Spurs away is surely too close to the QF date for the clubs to sell tickets etc. While Watford going to Arsenal isnt likely to be an issue travel wise for their fans, a trip to Hull with 4 full days notice would be outrageous.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

youngw wrote:I would be amazed if the Premier League allowed for one of their fixtures to be moved outside of the standard FA Cup clashes (QF & SF).

The most sensible solution appears to play on QF day and we/Hull play the QF on the QF replay date. Of course if that game requires a replay too then the FA are in a bit of a pickle...

A Monday night game after Spurs away is surely too close to the QF date for the clubs to sell tickets etc. While Watford going to Arsenal isnt likely to be an issue travel wise for their fans, a trip to Hull with 4 full days notice would be outrageous.
I imagine that's what they will end up doing - just pushing the problem back. If it does go to a replay they'll have the same problem as the only feasible date they could play that would be on CL QF days.

Why can't that fat prick Steve Bruce just do the honourable thing and concede the tie?

Sean

Post by Sean »

And that is why we should ban replays in the FA Cup :barscarf:

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Brentford CEO suggesting the replay will be in place of their match with Hull City: https://twitter.com/markdevlin7/status/ ... 3363176448

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Ziegler1988 wrote:Brentford CEO suggesting the replay will be in place of their match with Hull City: https://twitter.com/markdevlin7/status/ ... 3363176448
I'm telling you guys, Tuesday, 8th March at 5pm.

:lol: :barscarf:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

northbank123 wrote:
youngw wrote:I would be amazed if the Premier League allowed for one of their fixtures to be moved outside of the standard FA Cup clashes (QF & SF).

I imagine that's what they will end up doing - just pushing the problem back. If it does go to a replay they'll have the same problem as the only feasible date they could play that would be on CL QF days.

Why can't that fat prick Steve Bruce just do the honourable thing and concede the tie?

In fairness, he tried! :shock: when a lower league team makes 10 changes for an away game at Arsenal, you expect to get battered :oops: :lol:

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

g88ner wrote:
northbank123 wrote:

In fairness, he tried! :shock: when a lower league team makes 10 changes for an away game at Arsenal, you expect to get battered :oops:
:lol:
Ain't that the painful truth!!!!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

arseofacrow wrote:
Wilson wrote:Home tie against Watford should we get past Hull. An almost certain path into the semi-finals.

The replay at Hull needs to be taken seriously.

Anyone starting to slightly dream of a League and FA Cup double?

Thats how Wenger used to do it.
You're a funny one! :wink: Hull needs to be taken seriously but Watford is an almost certain path into the semis. How do you square those two statements? :?

Keep them coming though. :lol:
We are talking about an Arsenal team who squeezed past Wigan on pens, squeeked past Reading, and shat our pants at Wembley v Hull and who recently couldn't score v Saints, Chelsea, or indeed Hull.

Watford have beaten quite a few this season, have pace and power up front. they could fuck us over like they did in 1988*

* cant remember exactly and cant be arsed to look it up

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

it was 87 and the ref conned us out of a pen, then they scored the third.

a few of their fans didn't enjoy the short walk to the coaches after! not that i glamorize that shit of course, different times.

lets beat hull before worrying about them ffs :shock:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

arseofacrow wrote:
Ziegler1988 wrote:Brentford CEO suggesting the replay will be in place of their match with Hull City: https://twitter.com/markdevlin7/status/ ... 3363176448
I'm telling you guys, Tuesday, 8th March at 5pm.

:lol: :barscarf:
Barcelona kicked off at 5.30pm last week and so I don't see why we can't do the same.
Wouldn't mind that too much.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:it was 87 and the ref conned us out of a pen, then they scored the third.

a few of their fans didn't enjoy the short walk to the coaches after! not that i glamorize that shit of course, different times.

Remember it well. Steve Williams being pulled away from Graham Taylor at the end, and old Turnip himself being hurt because he called him a cheat. Great footage of it on YouTube.....Watford wearing shorts straight from the pride march :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

unconfirmed but it appears as though the match will take place on 8th March.
TV coverage times to be sorted but apparently it will be on BBC.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:it was 87 and the ref conned us out of a pen, then they scored the third.

Remember it well. Steve Williams being pulled away from Graham Taylor at the end, and old Turnip himself being hurt because he called him a cheat. Great footage of it on YouTube.....Watford wearing shorts straight from the pride march :D
wonder where Elton sourced them :shock: :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Yeah I was there, it was the link who was flagging for the pen, but the ref played on and they scored.
The Arsenal players got him eventually to speak to the lino but he ignore him and their goal stood to make it 1-3.

:banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

wonder where Elton sourced them :shock: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Probably his own wardrobe/dungeon. :shock:

Or augie's wardrobe/mud hut in the bogs. :lol: :wink: