Arsenal at Old Shatford. sunday 28th Feb. 2.05pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Wilson

Re: Arsenal at Old Shatford. sunday 28th Feb. 2.05pm

Post by Wilson »

BFG4 wrote:
xisstential wrote:
casgooner wrote:Martial is not playing in United's match tonight as he has pulled a hamstring in the warm up. I don't know how bad is is or if he will play on Sunday.
Doesn't really matter does it?? He hasn't exactly been pulling up trees over there. I've just got that sickening feeling, the way we have been playing the last 2 months, that no matter who they put out there........ :( :(
When you haven't won a league game at a ground in nearly 10 years, and you posses zero bottle, then it's hard to be confident of us winning. We couldn't beat Chelsea when they were giving away points for fun, so I expect this to be similar. The fact is that in league games against them with Moyes and van Gaal as manager, we have P5, W1(Home this season), L2, and D2.
We won at OT last season in the FA Cup against a strong Man United team. I dont see the difference between a league and FA Cup when both teams wanted to win and fielded strong teams. Its simply, if we can win at Old Trafford in the FA Cup, then we can win their in the league.

I call this the 'spider syndrome'. I.e, the spider is more scared of you, than you are of it. Thus, Man United are more scared about facing us, than we are of facing them. Their fans are just as pessimistic, as some fans on here.

The bookies have us as favorites, and for the right reason - we are a better team, and depsite our patch form, United;s is much worse.

Its simply a must win game that I expect us to win. After the naive performance against Barcelona, Wengers needs to prove his worth by making sure the team wins. I can tolerate the naivity in Europe. but I will not tolerate losing to Man United when they are in this dire state

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Its simply a must win game that I expect us to win. After the naive performance against Barcelona, Wengers needs to prove his worth by making sure the team wins. I can tolerate the naivity in Europe. but I will not tolerate losing to Man United when they are in this dire state

Your faith in Wenger to lead, to inspire, to change things, is misguided at best, naieve at worst. By his own admission he couldn't motivate his team to beat Hull at home. Wenger gives off the air of a man, in both the FA cup & the league, that has got much bigger things to concentrate on. If we win this the players need to go out and do it, Wenger's presence is incidental.

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Wilson wrote: We won at OT last season in the FA Cup against a strong Man United team. I dont see the difference between a league and FA Cup when both teams wanted to win and fielded strong teams. Its simply, if we can win at Old Trafford in the FA Cup, then we can win their in the league.

I call this the 'spider syndrome'. I.e, the spider is more scared of you, than you are of it. Thus, Man United are more scared about facing us, than we are of facing them. Their fans are just as pessimistic, as some fans on here.

The bookies have us as favorites, and for the right reason - we are a better team, and depsite our patch form, United;s is much worse.

Agreed about the Barca match.

The thing for me is, we do seem to "bottle it" when it comes to pressure matches. We do have more pressure in this match because it is the PL. Yes we won in the FA cup - but no disrespect to it...it's not the PL, which has been the monkey on our back for over a decade.

Three factors now for Sunday
1) How do we respond after Barca? - Heads up or Heads down
2) Will Man U have their tails up after 5-1 last night - and the added, if they beat Arsenal, may mean we lose the PL bid
3) Does the monkey of 10yrs no PL make us bottle it

And please do not play Flamini - playing with 10 after he gets sent off will just make it a harder task!!!

COYG!!!

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Smalling, De Gea, and Martial are all a major doubts for Sunday. Thats to go with Rooney, Young and Schweinsteiger who are certain to miss the game.

All three of De Gea, Smalling and Martial missed their midweek Europa league game. And no I dont think LVG rested them, as they were behind in the tie and if United went out to FC Midtjylland at Old Trafford, LVG would have been crucified.

This is one of our tough away games along with trips to Everton, West Ham, Tottenham, and City. Tottenham and City will be the toughest games, so we need to make sure we win this game to give us more margin for error when we go to City and Tottenham.

If we take 10 points from those 5 matches away to United, Everton, West Ham, City, Tottenham, United, we will win the league.

3 points on Sunday is a giant stride towards winning the league.

Spooky

Post by Spooky »

Out of all of the missing Man U above - De Gea is the biggest positive and maybe Smalling.

Indeed, if we get 4 points from Sunday - and the trip to WHL next week ... it could be wrapped up by the City match.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Our season teeters on the brink , a win here and we are on for the double beleive it or not !
I dont care who plays I dont care how they get it done but a win here and we are on for it !
Its mad we dont deserve it but we cannot look a gifty horse in the mouth . . . . again !

Herd

Post by Herd »

Our season teeters on the brink , a win here and we are on for the double beleive it or not !
I dont care who plays I dont care how they get it done but a win here and we are on for it !
Its mad we dont deserve it but we cannot look a gifty horse in the mouth . . . . again !

Derek Acorah

Post by Derek Acorah »

'Old Shatford'? Really? How old is the OP, 12?

Anyway, I remember when we were the two power teams in the league - like most of you do probably. Now we're both a bit of a joke - although you lot are a better side than us these days but that's like saying my lump of poo smells nicer than yours.

I don't care if you get 3 points. As long as Man City don't win the league that will do me. Our league campaign is over, we'll be lucky to get Europa next season.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Derek Acorah wrote:'Old Shatford'? Really? How old is the OP, 12?

Anyway, I remember when we were the two power teams in the league - like most of you do probably. Now we're both a bit of a joke - although you lot are a better side than us these days but that's like saying my lump of poo smells nicer than yours.

I don't care if you get 3 points. As long as Man City don't win the league that will do me. Our league campaign is over, we'll be lucky to get Europa next season.

we are the title favourites in case you have forgotten... :wink:
good win for you over midgetland last night though :lol:

armchair

Post by armchair »

I agree. Some of the thread titles we have on the front page of this forum are embarrassing. :oops:

However individual posts within those threads are fair game as far as Im concerned. So on that note........
I hope we tear you *word censored* a new one.
8)
:wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

United have drawn the victims in the spursday night cup :lol:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Old Shatford's got to be better than "the theatre of dreams" though :lol:

man u v liverpool in the spursday cup. :barscarf:

Nasri8

Post by Nasri8 »

Sunday is massive towards the league with Spuds, Everton & City away coming up.

Win this and it's a big step towards it :barscarf:

The Knowing One

Post by The Knowing One »

I feel we could be in trouble if we concede first, we desparately need to score early, but when do we ever do that :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:

we are the title favourites in case you have forgotten... :wink:
good win for you over midgetland last night though :lol:
Lefty and his Ewok husband OneBard are devastated. :lol: :wink: