Who should play in goal for the last 3 games ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who should play in goal for the last 3 games?

Flappy
6%
The Spanish Clown
6%
The Italian Unknown
33%
Bring back Wojtek
21%
Other (Pat Rice)
33%

Total votes: 48

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

euphoricone

Post by euphoricone »

I think the goalkeeping role suits Diaby.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:Image
I dont understand how you can love this bloke so much.... He looks good for a lower league team and/or our reserves but its a different step up to play in the premier/champions league. We need a tried and tested keeper who can play at the highest level. After the 2 clowns we currently have we cant make another slip up this time

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

flash gunner wrote:
I dont understand how you can love this bloke so much.... He looks good for a lower league team and/or our reserves but its a different step up to play in the premier/champions league. We need a tried and tested keeper who can play at the highest level. After the 2 clowns we currently have we cant make another slip up this time
Agree with Flash. The kid looks like a genuine top quality prospect but that’s all he is right now. Ideally I wouldn’t even him back as #2 next season, I’d rather he went back out on loan to either a Championship or decent level European club (Bundesliga, Ligue 1) or if there was a Prem team where he’d be first-choice then maybe there. Either way he needs to be playing first-team football & learning his trade, making his mistakes, etc at someone else’s expense. If & when he’s ready bring him back & let him fight for his place.

Fabianski’s 25 & relatively speaking barely played any first-team football. As shit as he is he might not have been quite so bad if he’d gone out on loan & got proper experience under his belt - which he would have been able to do for a couple of years if we’d got someone like Friedel & kept Almunia as the #2 he was. And even if he’d still turned out this shit at least it’d have been his loan club who’d have lost points in order for us to find out. Keeper is one position where generally you cant just throw them in at the deep end.

digger

Post by digger »

If Wegner has committed to Flappyhandski, I'm genuinely worried about finishing top three - I'm even concerned about a top four finish with him in the side. He is crap. Our defence play like they have a shit keeper behind them and will be nervous. City's, Blackburn's and Fulham's attackers know how bad Flappy is so they'll be banging in shots from everywhere, swirling crosses straight over his head, waiting for him to fuck up.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
Agree with Flash. The kid looks like a genuine top quality prospect but that’s all he is right now. Ideally I wouldn’t even him back as #2 next season, I’d rather he went back out on loan to either a Championship or decent level European club (Bundesliga, Ligue 1) or if there was a Prem team where he’d be first-choice then maybe there. Either way he needs to be playing first-team football & learning his trade, making his mistakes, etc at someone else’s expense. If & when he’s ready bring him back & let him fight for his place.

Fabianski’s 25 & relatively speaking barely played any first-team football. As shit as he is he might not have been quite so bad if he’d gone out on loan & got proper experience under his belt - which he would have been able to do for a couple of years if we’d got someone like Friedel & kept Almunia as the #2 he was. And even if he’d still turned out this shit at least it’d have been his loan club who’d have lost points in order for us to find out. Keeper is one position where generally you cant just throw them in at the deep end.
i think that in the end of day, what matter for a keeper is how well he can save shots, go out to pick up crosses and organize his defence, and that does not change that much from league 1 to the premiership. shots are not that much more powerful, crosses aren't so much better. he makes miraculous saves and looks very solid, and i don't see how much that would change if he played for us.

of course he's too young, of course he's not ready yet, but he is FAR better than fabianski. i'd bet my house that he wouldn't have dropped that ball on the second goal.

and if szczesny is too young and not ready, neither is mannone.

again, of the 4 possibilities, szczesny is by far the best.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

digger wrote:If Wegner has committed to Flappyhandski, I'm genuinely worried about finishing top three - I'm even concerned about a top four finish with him in the side. He is crap. Our defence play like they have a shit keeper behind them and will be nervous. City's, Blackburn's and Fulham's attackers know how bad Flappy is so they'll be banging in shots from everywhere, swirling crosses straight over his head, waiting for him to fuck up.
blackburn employ this "stoke style" throw-in, with samba go into the box.

:shock: :worried: :box:

ambarron

Post by ambarron »

realsitically we arent gonna recall schnezny

as much as I would like the other option ie pat rice, bob wilson, a fan from the crowd also that isnt gonna happen

I never want to see flappy EVER again and would keep the spanish waiter only as back up!!

so by means of deduction I would go for Mannonne although i dont rate him particularly highly but at least he hasnt made a mistake in the last 7 days

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

ambarron wrote:realsitically we arent gonna recall schnezny

as much as I would like the other option ie pat rice, bob wilson, a fan from the crowd also that isnt gonna happen

I never want to see flappy EVER again and would keep the spanish waiter only as back up!!

so by means of deduction I would go for Mannonne although i dont rate him particularly highly but at least he hasnt made a mistake in the last 7 days
:lol:

i think we need more info on mannone - has he dropped a plate at home, how is his living room organised..... :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

i think that in the end of day, what matter for a keeper is how well he can save shots, go out to pick up crosses and organize his defence, and that does not change that much from league 1 to the premiership. shots are not that much more powerful, crosses aren't so much better. he makes miraculous saves and looks very solid, and i don't see how much that would change if he played for us.

of course he's too young, of course he's not ready yet, but he is FAR better than fabianski. i'd bet my house that he wouldn't have dropped that ball on the second goal.

and if szczesny is too young and not ready, neither is mannone.

again, of the 4 possibilities, szczesny is by far the best.
I dont agree i think Flappy could be a good shot stopper but for a keeper to have confidence is THE most important thing Flappy has NO confidence his mistakes arent just lack of talent you can almost see he doesnt believe in himself. If the young kid were to have a set back playing for the first team it could have a Flappy affect on his career.

Also that pic isnt the most inspiring the ball is passing his dispairing hand :wink: :lol:

Gooner_Sam

Post by Gooner_Sam »

:wink:

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Actually think Mannone's alright. Made some errors earlier in the season, but had some great moments too. His saves definitely helped us grab the three points at Fulham last September. Which is more than Al or Fab have contributed.

ambarron

Post by ambarron »

Bring Back Pires wrote:Actually think Mannone's alright. Made some errors earlier in the season, but had some great moments too. His saves definitely helped us grab the three points at Fulham last September. Which is more than Al or Fab have contributed.
personally thought a lot of them were tv saves!!! however agree he is best option for sat

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Bring Back Pires wrote:Actually think Mannone's alright. Made some errors earlier in the season, but had some great moments too. His saves definitely helped us grab the three points at Fulham last September. Which is more than Al or Fab have contributed.
Most of them were shots that just hit him in the face, probably as a result of the gravitational pull of his humongous nose. He's another one that should be sent on loan to get experience so we can see how good he actually is/isn't.

PatRiceKnows

Post by PatRiceKnows »

has to be pat rice
...he knows