ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by sk-gtfo »

We'll be lucky to get 10-12m for Tavares.
Just get on with it and reinforce for Timber injury ffs

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am
🚨 Arsenal have entered talks with Nottingham Forest as they try to offload Nuno Tavares. West Ham & Galatasaray both showed interest in Tavares last month. Arsenal are thought to want around £22m if they sell him outright. [@MrDomSmith, Standard] #afc

A snowballs chance in hell any of them will pay £22m for tavares :roll:

Again our logic sometimes is all over the shop - we all see xhaka as dogshite but he is an established international and captain of his country, and has a decent club cv too, and yet we sold him cheap when you consider that we are looking for 50m for balogun and 22m for tavares. I wonder what type of reality world is Tierney only worth 30m when tavares is valued at 22m ? IMO we are demanding too much for balogun and tavares and should be willing to take 15m for tavares and 40m if we can get it for balogun so that we can move them on in time to get better players in, but instead we are gonna fcuk about looking for silly money

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:45 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:53 am
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:18 am
My early season optimism has taken a battering over the past few days, the injury to Timber is devastating, the blatant corruption on show at old trafford sickened me and the chavs signing every player in world football is wearing me down.

Need a pick me up today.
I honestly dont understand why there was so much optimism amongst supporters pre season anyway.
I agree with you that Timber injury is a massive blow, but apart from Rice being an upgrade on Xhaka what improvements are there?
Havertz is a complete waste of space - £65 million for a Chelsea flop. :roll: We have basically just contributed to them being able to afford Caceido - who we should have bought for cheaper in January,
Absoultely. Why oh why are modern-day Arsenal allergic to top-drawer defensive midfielders? EVERY successful Arsenal team in my lifetime has had them, from Peter Storey to Kevin Richardson to Emmanuel Petit to Gilberto. We have done two things since 2005: (a) signed a succession of Chelsea rejects, none of whom have turned out to be good and most of whom have been awful; (b) continued to sign lightweight creative midfielders when we need someone to screen the defence. Partey is an improvement on what we had, but he is injury-prone and Arteta now seems to see him as some sort of wing-back option. We needed Caicedo much more than we needed Rice.

Yep, I’ve been saying this all along. Caicedo was the one we needed. Makes no sense that we offered a fortune for him in Jan and then didn’t show any interest when this window opened.

Given Chelsea’s glut of players, I just hope he doesn’t get much game time, because he’s gonna be some player. Hope I’m wrong. :(

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:30 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:09 am
🚨 Arsenal have entered talks with Nottingham Forest as they try to offload Nuno Tavares. West Ham & Galatasaray both showed interest in Tavares last month. Arsenal are thought to want around £22m if they sell him outright. [@MrDomSmith, Standard] #afc

A snowballs chance in hell any of them will pay £22m for tavares :roll:

Again our logic sometimes is all over the shop - we all see xhaka as dogshite but he is an established international and captain of his country, and has a decent club cv too, and yet we sold him cheap when you consider that we are looking for 50m for balogun and 22m for tavares. I wonder what type of reality world is Tierney only worth 30m when tavares is valued at 22m ? IMO we are demanding too much for balogun and tavares and should be willing to take 15m for tavares and 40m if we can get it for balogun so that we can move them on in time to get better players in, but instead we are gonna fcuk about looking for silly money
Yeah, our transfer dealings have been all over the gaff for years. We seem reluctant to sell players that we clearly have no intention of playing and then demand unrealistic amounts for them, which no one will pay. From memory, we were offered something like 20 million for AMN a couple of years ago, didn’t take it, then didn’t play him and now he’s released on a free.

Conversely, how many good quality players have we allowed to go far too cheap?!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 Arsenal are considering a move for Benjamin Pavard to make up for the injury of Jurrien Timber! 🔴⚪️

Inter have the Bayern defender on top of their transfer list, while Man Utd are waiting to see what happens with Maguire.

(Source: @FabrizioRomano )

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

https://www.football365.com/news/forest ... sfer-kitty

:barscarf: get in the car nuno...ive got you a job!!!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xgtdec wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:41 pm
https://www.football365.com/news/forest ... sfer-kitty

:barscarf: get in the car nuno...ive got you a job!!!

Wasn't Tavares taken off against Forest after about 20 mins in the FA Cup game, which we lost, the season before last? Maybe I'm wrong, but if not, you'd think Cooper would steer well clear.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

i actually think tavares has potential. the raw ingredients are all there and if trained right could be some player, not a defender but a left sided Bale type.

i agree and disagree re the fees. on paper face of it xhaka was sold cheap. but in reality he was utter shite in the pl. and a massive liability given his character and there was no demand for him so the fee was decent.

balogun is 21 ish just off the back of 20+ goals in a top 5 league. if he was another clubs he would be 50m minimum based on season just gone. he may not be worth that in reality but currently off the back of last season he is. Other clubs get 20m for people who havent played a first team game (for anyone) so off the back of last season balogun should be worth $$$$

augie

Post by augie »

the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:33 pm
i actually think tavares has potential. the raw ingredients are all there and if trained right could be some player, not a defender but a left sided Bale type.

i agree and disagree re the fees. on paper face of it xhaka was sold cheap. but in reality he was utter shite in the pl. and a massive liability given his character and there was no demand for him so the fee was decent.

balogun is 21 ish just off the back of 20+ goals in a top 5 league. if he was another clubs he would be 50m minimum based on season just gone. he may not be worth that in reality but currently off the back of last season he is. Other clubs get 20m for people who havent played a first team game (for anyone) so off the back of last season balogun should be worth $$$$

Is the french league a top 5 league ?? Personally I would have premier league, la liga, bundesliga, serie a and dutch league ahead of french league

Also you have to look at the situation at AFC when calculating balogun's value - we are a team without a top striker and he cant get a sniff of game time with us, so what does that say about arteta's opinion of him ? If nketieh goes up for sale in the morning would we look for 50m for him ? Balogun is behind him in pecking order so how can we put a bigger price on balogun than nketieh ?

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Because Balogun isn't that great but had a 'standout' season in a decent league. The French league is way ahead of the Dutch league by the way.
Arsenal know if Balogun went on loan next season to a championship club he'd probably get 10-12 goals. It's all about cashing in. I think he's worth 25-30m tops in reality.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:58 am
Because Balogun isn't that great but had a 'standout' season in a decent league. The French league is way ahead of the Dutch league by the way.
Arsenal know if Balogun went on loan next season to a championship club he'd probably get 10-12 goals. It's all about cashing in. I think he's worth 25-30m tops in reality.

That would be my thinking too - I understand trying to maximise his value, but the club need to look at the clubs "vying" for his signiture, cos none of them are going to shell out 50m for any player (much less a raw kid), cos most havent got a pot to piss in. What we are in grave danger of doing (AGAIN) is pricing the player out of a move and then being stuck with a player arteta clearly does not rate or want - I dont know if the kid is good enough or not (havent seen enough of him), but if the club have decided to move him on, then take the 30m-35m and move on using the money we get for him. That being said, all we are being linked with right now is defenders (cos of timber's injury), and whilst I'm not saying that we are rock solid at the back, I still think that we have other priorities instead of another defender. We should start playing defenders and midfielders in their proper positions and that will make us more solid without bringing in another defender

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The Timber injury is an absolute disaster, I’m gutted. When I woke this morning it was the first thing that popped into my head and it stung. He would have given is quality depth right across the back line, an option to play in every position back there.

Now we’re fucking back to square one whereby we’re just one injury away from trouble as happened with Saliba last season. Brutal.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I agree Augie, evidently we've already turned down a £34m offer from Monaco for him, we may well regret that.

I see Sly sports are trying to build Kane-Mania on their website, offering the Bayern shirts for sale...... Hopefully loads of Spuds will order them in, they come in a lovely Red and White!! :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:38 am
The Timber injury is an absolute disaster, I’m gutted. When I woke this morning it was the first thing that popped into my head and it stung. He would have given is quality depth right across the back line, an option to play in every position back there.

Now we’re fucking back to square one whereby we’re just one injury away from trouble as happened with Saliba last season. Brutal.
We have to get someone in who can at least cover to some extent, in order to do that we have to clear some deadwood to comply with FFP bs which Chavski just cheat their way around selling to the Saudi league.

So fvcking annoying but Edu needs to prove himself here.

augie

Post by augie »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:27 am
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:38 am

We have to get someone in who can at least cover to some extent, in order to do that we have to clear some deadwood to comply with FFP bs which Chavski just cheat their way around selling to the Saudi league.

So fvcking annoying but Edu needs to prove himself here.

In our squad right now we have 2 right backs (white and tommy), two left backs (tierney and zinchenko) and at least 4 centre backs (saliba, gabriel. kiwor and ben white), so again I am asking why do we need to buy defenders when we have such a glaring need at striker ??