The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunnersaurus

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:It's catch 22 really. Obviously we all want arsenal to start well but if we were to win all our games before the window shuts then I could quite easily see that as being a reason Wenger would use for not strengthening the squad. However nobody wants to see a cluster fuck of a performance like what happened at OT a couple of years back that saw him go on a mad trolley dash. Damned if we do and damned if we don't :lol:
From what I can remember, the fixture list is a pretty easy start this time round isn't it? Well, we had evidence of what happens when that's the case: just look at 2 seasons ago. Easy start to fixture list, win games quite convincingly (against gash sides), all the ppl who demanded more transfer window signings are "proven wrong".
Going into Xmas Arsenal have a real chance - but then the injuries begin, and the usual capitulation at Stoke and against the big boys. January window opens with an excellent chance to consolidate.

Lord A says: "I have Wilshere coming back (from umpteenth injury), Welbec'k (from yet another injury)" etc.

Points dropped left right and centre. A signing maybe made on deadline day, an average DCM from France to cover Coquelin's season-ending injury. No striker coming as Giroud has looked good (against Palace, Villa and Norwich).

Go from 2-horse race, to clinging on for 3rd/4th.

The title isn't coming.... :banghead:
No other players are coming that's for sure.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

But Quartz, Officepest, how can the team be better if this is the exact same group if players that failed last year? :shock:
Sure Cech has arrived - but I still see Mertesacker as captain, when he has no business starting for a top 4 side. I still see Coquelin, who irrespective of what anyone says, simply isn't good enough against the top teams. There's bags of evidence FFS, from Ramired hustling him all of Sunday, and Kondogbia in the CL, or his awful performance v even Fellaini at OT FFS! :oops:
Potential? Sure. A title winning DM like Matic or Gilberto or Makele? Behave!
Up front just because Lord A has paid Giroud and Wally like Galacticos, it doesn't make them some! Toothless in attack - again just look at Sunday for a small example again. Theo starts and you get bags of pace but absolutely awful movement, and no physical presence. Shocking for £140k a week. So Giroud comes on and improves the physical aspect - but does what Mr Average does and just misses chances. It's what he does. Like I said: over 530 minutes without a PL goal FFS despite being the only viable number 9 at the club! :oops: Bloody appalling.

So Cech is a huge upgrade agreed, and I reckon that will add about 4 points. Considering we finished about 12 behind Chelski, you need better outfield players to compensate and we ain't got a single one. Every year nothing changes, but I keep hearing how "we've imprived" - really? Does that go for Citeh then? Cos they finished ahead of us and have added pace to their side. Won't Chelski improve also? They've some the same as us and kept the same outfield players! Difference is, these players have the experience of having blitzed the PL together!
Last edited by Ikechukwu1 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

the playing mantis wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:It is not a competition to spend more than our rivals Ikechukwu.

Regardless of how much we have spent, our squad is stronger than last season's.

We are better in goal.
We are better in defence, where Gabriel is now an option, and Monreal has upped his game, as his Gibbs, though I am still not sold on him long-term.
And in midfield, where the emergence of Coquelin makes us more solid than it appeared at the start of last season, whatever your misgivings are about him.
And in attacking midfield, where we have the option of Welbeck, and the possibilities, however feint, of a few games for Iwobi and Reine-Adelaide.
And in attack, where again, we have the option of Welbeck over Sanogo; an improvement.
And Walcott is stronger, and is fit.
And we are probably better "in training", with the addition of Forsyth and the improvements to the training ground underway.

I doubt we will crack the top two though, and I refer back to my post two pages earlier where I wrote I think we need a centre back, defensive midfielder and striker to win the title.
sorry quartz, you are clutching at straws imo.

we are no better than the end of last season, not good enough, but put a run in when there's no pressure. wellbeck/sanogo, not much difference at least postman was cheap. wellbeck was an atrocious signing one of the worst of wengers reign given the cost. gabriel wont start, the 1st xi is not stronger. coq is ok, but bar against a completely out of sorts man city overrun in every big game, spurs, monaco, etc.

its disgusting that a club of arsenals means will have an effective 0 net spend (cech, but pod and others gone, plus wages saved, although spunked away on wally and giroud)when we all know there are 100's of millions freely available to spend, and are not even attempting to improve key positions, bar the keeper who it would almost have been impossible not to sign given his determination to stay in london.

if wenger doesn't significantly strengthen striker and or dm then this is possibly his worst crime yet. getting the team nearly there, shifting some dead wood, and not having an excuse of lack of money, yet failing to add anyone to improve what he has, and no one can argue there are no obtainable dm's who would be a significant upgrade on coq, ok though he is against the weaker sides.
Your point on Welbeck is absolutely spot on. People may say it's too early for that but, he rates as one of Wengee's biggest turkeys to date: £17m transfer fee, £100k a week! :shock:
He doesn't have the excuse if being from abroad so needing adjustment period, or not speaking the language etc.
Said it at the time we signed him: LVG wouldn't let Wenger have Smalling FFS but he was happy to offload Welbeck to Wenger? Why I wonder?? :rubchin:
It's unacceptable that in between injuries, he continues to shank the ball, and make tactically idiotic runs. Henry was right to absolutely rip him over that Monaco game, he was the definition of a headless chicken. When fit he will never be first choice striker, and he'll never be first choice winger. So, £100k a week for a non prolific option.

You can add that to the £270k Wally and Giroud trouser each week.
£370k on Walcott, Giroud and Welbeck FFS.

You could pay Lewandowski, Lars Bender and Hummels their weekly wages for the same money. Honestly do the maths.
:banghead: :oops:

Classic Wenger!

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Ike,

I’ve bored myself stupid over the years arguing Wenger’s flaws to anyone who has cared to listen. Some I’ve helped to see the light, others have told me to go fuck myself.

There’s very little point in laying waste to Wenger’s myriad flaws as we’re stuck with the old duffer, and will be until he decides to retire, so I’ve resorted to basics (like Wenger’s tactics).

In simple terms, Cech improves our first eleven. He won’t win us the league because our manager is deficient, but he does make us a better side.

I, for one, am just happy we won’t have to see one of our clown production line ‘keepers induce mirth in oppo fans, and rage in ours, as the 6th goal flies past their gormless face.

Small steps.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

PS: Welbeck is poo.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Gunnersaurus wrote:Let me guess, you thought Coquelin was a world beater and campaigned against him going out on loan to Charlton?

Don't get me wrong, he fell into his lap last year, be it through injuries or the players own determination but I can't remember any (many) of us claiming that he was part of out best 11 when he was getting voted one of the worst players in the German league.

That's not to defend Wenger more to pick holes at pretending he should have known better about Coquelin.
I do not know who your comment is aimed at but if you are suggesting I wanted Coquelin to be in our first team at the start of last season then you would be right...you can check posts on here going back to his debut against Barnet in summer2008 from myself and G88ner where we rate Coquelin, and I certainly thought he deserved a chance ahead of the slowed down Arteta and the rapidly declined Flamini.
I took flack on here from 2009 for writing Coquelin would be a starter one day.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

officepest wrote:Ike,

I’ve bored myself stupid over the years arguing Wenger’s flaws to anyone who has cared to listen. Some I’ve helped to see the light, others have told me to go fuck myself.

There’s very little point in laying waste to Wenger’s myriad flaws as we’re stuck with the old duffer, and will be until he decides to retire, so I’ve resorted to basics (like Wenger’s tactics).

In simple terms, Cech improves our first eleven. He won’t win us the league because our manager is deficient, but he does make us a better side.

I, for one, am just happy we won’t have to see one of our clown production line ‘keepers induce mirth in oppo fans, and rage in ours, as the 6th goal flies past their gormless face.

Small steps.
Fair enough point...

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:But Quartz, Officepest, how can the team be better if this is the exact same group if players that failed last year? :shock:
Sure Cech has arrived - but I still see Mertesacker as captain, when he has no business starting for a top 4 side. I still see Coquelin, who irrespective of what anyone says, simply isn't good enough against the top teams. There's bags of evidence FFS, from Ramired hustling him all of Sunday, and Kondogbia in the CL, or his awful performance v even Fellaini at OT FFS! :oops:
Potential? Sure. A title winning DM like Matic or Gilberto or Makele? Behave!
Up front just because Lord A has paid Giroud and Wally like Galacticos, it doesn't make them some! Toothless in attack - again just look at Sunday for a small example again. Theo starts and you get bags of pace but absolutely awful movement, and no physical presence. Shocking for £140k a week. So Giroud comes on and improves the physical aspect - but does what Mr Average does and just misses chances. It's what he does. Like I said: over 530 minutes without a PL goal FFS despite being the only viable number 9 at the club! :oops: Bloody appalling.
- Cech point noted.

- Otherwise we did not start last season with Coquelin, his presence gives us more than Arteta.
I think he has more than potential, he is good, though as I write on here, I would have preferred to bring in Kondogbia/Carvalho etc to play alongside Coquelin at times, at other times one or the other alongside Cazorla/Ramsey.

- Disagree about Theo, probably always will, I like his movement, and to claim him and Giroud are toothless is a massive exageration.

The bottom line is that this squad can be said to have two first team starters added since last season, Cech and Coquelin.
I know Coquelin was with us then but he was not considered a key part of things.

But it is not just players who have changed.

We have a new fitness coach, improvements to the fitness centre, a new goalkeeping coach and above all a bit of belief.
That counts for something.

Will we win the league?
Highly unlikely, but we have improved.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Jeez you guys just don't get it.

We buy one world class player every year and in 11 years we will have a world class team.

That's how it works innit?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

QuartzGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:
we are no better than the end of last season, the 1st xi is not stronger.
Beg to differ.
In terms of personnel, players who are fit and morale.

For our first league game last season against Crystal Palace we had Szczesny in Goal, Chambers as a Centre Back, Arteta as Defensive Midfielder and Sanogo as Striker.

Even allowing for the omission of both Mertesacker and Ozil who were rested after the World Cup, Giroud who was on the bench, and Walcott who was injured, how will we be worse than that when we line up against West Ham on Sunday?

Cech in goal, Mertesacker in for Chambers, Coquelin in for Arteta, and Giroud in for Sanogo (and Sanchez to return after a few games deserved rest) is better than any line up that you could have picked at the start of last season.
I agree with Quartz we are in a much better place than at the end of last season. We've cleared out players taking up squad place. Santi, Theo and Ox will all step up, as will Jack if fit. Coquelin will be better as his confidence will be raised and can see him getting international recognition. There's no guarantee Wenger will get best out of a world class striker. How many no.9's have come into the club in last 10 years and all faded and died? We need a top 10 world class striker and I can't see any of them leaving their current clubs.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

QuartzGooner wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:Let me guess, you thought Coquelin was a world beater and campaigned against him going out on loan to Charlton?

Don't get me wrong, he fell into his lap last year, be it through injuries or the players own determination but I can't remember any (many) of us claiming that he was part of out best 11 when he was getting voted one of the worst players in the German league.

That's not to defend Wenger more to pick holes at pretending he should have known better about Coquelin.
I do not know who your comment is aimed at but if you are suggesting I wanted Coquelin to be in our first team at the start of last season then you would be right...you can check posts on here going back to his debut against Barnet in summer2008 from myself and G88ner where we rate Coquelin, and I certainly thought he deserved a chance ahead of the slowed down Arteta and the rapidly declined Flamini.
I took flack on here from 2009 for writing Coquelin would be a starter one day.

Not you, I know and remember you loving him, it was to fox in the box.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
rodders999 wrote:I spent all summer waiting for us to sign a striker but if we spunk away a shit load of cash on Benzema I think I'll have a fucking nervous breakdown. Please for the love of Christ stay sell away from him.
I'm not seeing the logic here, Rodders. He is far superior to what we have, and with limited options available he is the obvious solution to the striker problem. As an added bonus, he will keep the 2 donkeys we have masquerading as strikers on the bench.
In general, I find it interesting so many posters on here think Benzema is the obvious solution to our striker problem, as if he will sign and just bang in 20+ PL goals in his first season and carry on likewise thereafter. If only it were that easy! Not every player can adapt to the PL. Who'd have thought DiMaria would fail so miserably in the PL? What makes so many people think Benzema is the answer? Based on what?

This perception on here that Benzema is "far superior" to and is a "huge" upgrade on Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck is puzzling. I'm loathe to base any argument on stats ( :wink: ) but TBH looking at Benzema's goals to games ratio over the last 5 seasons, he appears to be of similar calibre to Giroud! :shock:

Is he a better technical player? Maybe. Will he link up play as well as Giroud does? Maybe, but maybe not from what I've seen of him. But then should a striker be linking up play at all? Maybe not. But if he's not, then he needs to be hitting 20-30 goals a season in the PL. Will Benzema do that? I'm not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a punt on him if the price were right, but he's hardly a huge upgrade on Giroud. :|
Christ...you clearly must not watch enough Madrid games. When you have ball hog Ronaldo as the main man scoring 50-60 odd goals a season it's naturally going to be difficult for their number 9 to be even half as prolific. Everything goes through CR, with Benzema mopping up the left overs. At Arsenal he would be the main man up front and Ozil will finally have somebody that understands basic striker movement to pass to.

There is a reason the fans and owner love him. Not sure how you can compare him to Giroud...Benzema is technically better, quicker, stronger, and doesn't have the donkey trait Giroud is cursed with.

Do we need to compare the trophies that they've won? Yeh, that's where the comparison ends.
Doesn't change a single word of what I wrote. I've watched Benzema and he's not top quality despite your buy in to the media hype. He's good - there's no doubting that - but so is Giroud on his day. So why spend huge if it's not a serious upgrade on what you have? And if you think it's a cert he will arrive and is guaranteed to bang in 20+ PL goals (which is what we need and don't have with Giroud or Welbeck or Walcott) purely based on what he's done in less aggressive less physical, slower leagues, then you are deluded.

What is comparing trophies meant to establish? By your reckoning Phil Neville is better than Bergkamp or Adams or Pires huh? Because only one of them won the Champion's League. Slackjaw also won more PL's than any of them too. But hey - that's where the comparison ends, huh? :lol: :oops: :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:Errrrrm there's an way way of evaluating whether Benzema is better than Giroud: they both play for the same national team. One has is older than the other. Yet, whenever serious competitive games comes along for France, count how many times different managers have picked Giroud over Benzema?
:rubchin: (Clue, Giroud never gets picked ahead of Benzema).
I

If Benzema is good enough to be first choice at Real for over 4 years, I'll quietly giggle as to whether he's good enough to dislodge a bloke who can't start a cup final ahead of Walcott, and has currently gone over 530 minutes without a league goal... :oops:
You should probably just quietly giggle at the comments section on those websites you quote. :lol: :oops:

Slowly then, just for you.

International caps you say? Okay. By that thinking Nigel Clough, Paul Stewart, David Hirst, and Brian Deane were all better strikers than Ian Wright, because they all kept Wrighty out of Ingerland squads or on Ingerland benches at different times, keeping IWWW down to just 17 starts and 16 unused sub caps in an 8 year Ingerland career. Now, you being the knowledgeable life-long Gooner that you are, which one of them would you have chosen as first choice striker at Arsenal in the PL? Clue; it's that guy that set a new goalscoring record for Arsenal. :lol: :roll:

Interlull pedigree has absolutely zero value in evaluating a player.

Now, before your limited but mouthy intellect tries to turn this round, I'm not for a minute saying Benzema isn't better than Giroud or that we shouldn't take a punt on him. I'm saying that he might not turn out to be a massive improvement on Giroud the way some people on here seem to think he will be, based on his record at interlull level and in slower, less physical leagues. And we should not pay an absolute ransom for him.

Would it help you if I put that in the form of a website comment? Okay.

"I looooove Benzema. He the king. I hate Giroud he is a raper. I love gunners - I die hard gunner I die for you Dr Wenger. I love Madrid. I love Barca with my heart. Football is my life passion. And rugby. And tennis. I love you serena. And Golf."

That help any? :rubchin:

:wink:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Cheers DB10
It's always good to start the day with a smile.

WENGER OUT.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Top Londoner wrote:Cheers DB10
It's always good to start the day with a smile.

WENGER OUT.
I quote Brad Pitt's stoner character Floyd from True Romance; "Don't condescend me, man. I'll fuckin' kill ya, man."

Oh, and get some beer and some cleaning products! :D :wink: