The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
dome

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by dome »

Hi mates, do you know who's Marian , player that's coming from Southern Italy to play in Arsenal U/21 team ?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

so a couple of days before the start of the season and we have bought....1 goalkeeper.

and yet there are some deluded supporters who think we can actually win the league. Unbelievable :rubchin:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Each season is different- last one Chavs started with a roar, Cesc and Costa on fire. Citeh with a wimper and Manure with a laugh.

We started the first few months with numerous injuries :oops:

This season Chavs have Costa doubtful for a time, Cesc not yet firing again though he will. Citeh are still in a bit of disarray I would argue, and wouldnt say that Stirling is any sort of upgrade

Manure may do better but who knows, they are still in a bit of disarray I would say. Interesting comments from Pep G about Sweinsteigers fitness for example, and I am still not sure that Van Buttface has fuly sussed the needs of the PL.

Meanwhile our fitness and injuries for the later part of the season improved significantly. Thus as well as Cech we have a greater likelihood of our players being fitter this season, can t be sure but the new guy last Summer maybe the reason why we were less injury prone in the later part of the season.

Thats why I am more optimistic this season. We were 12 short last year 7 the year before. I would argue we are a better team than those 2 years now, more experience, sure the deficiencies we are all mad about continue, but as Pesters says, the old duffer isnt going for a while ( :banghead: )

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

QuartzGooner wrote:
the playing mantis wrote:
we are no better than the end of last season, the 1st xi is not stronger.
Beg to differ.
In terms of personnel, players who are fit and morale.

For our first league game last season against Crystal Palace we had Szczesny in Goal, Chambers as a Centre Back, Arteta as Defensive Midfielder and Sanogo as Striker.

Even allowing for the omission of both Mertesacker and Ozil who were rested after the World Cup, Giroud who was on the bench, and Walcott who was injured, how will we be worse than that when we line up against West Ham on Sunday?

Cech in goal, Mertesacker in for Chambers, Coquelin in for Arteta, and Giroud in for Sanogo (and Sanchez to return after a few games deserved rest) is better than any line up that you could have picked at the start of last season.
I said end of last season!

Don't really rate coq much. In the big games he was completely overrun, spurs, monaco, etc all bar man city who were all over the place at that time

MrT

Post by MrT »

DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
MrT wrote:
rodders999 wrote:I spent all summer waiting for us to sign a striker but if we spunk away a shit load of cash on Benzema I think I'll have a fucking nervous breakdown. Please for the love of Christ stay sell away from him.
I'm not seeing the logic here, Rodders. He is far superior to what we have, and with limited options available he is the obvious solution to the striker problem. As an added bonus, he will keep the 2 donkeys we have masquerading as strikers on the bench.
In general, I find it interesting so many posters on here think Benzema is the obvious solution to our striker problem, as if he will sign and just bang in 20+ PL goals in his first season and carry on likewise thereafter. If only it were that easy! Not every player can adapt to the PL. Who'd have thought DiMaria would fail so miserably in the PL? What makes so many people think Benzema is the answer? Based on what?

This perception on here that Benzema is "far superior" to and is a "huge" upgrade on Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck is puzzling. I'm loathe to base any argument on stats ( :wink: ) but TBH looking at Benzema's goals to games ratio over the last 5 seasons, he appears to be of similar calibre to Giroud! :shock:

Is he a better technical player? Maybe. Will he link up play as well as Giroud does? Maybe, but maybe not from what I've seen of him. But then should a striker be linking up play at all? Maybe not. But if he's not, then he needs to be hitting 20-30 goals a season in the PL. Will Benzema do that? I'm not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a punt on him if the price were right, but he's hardly a huge upgrade on Giroud. :|
Christ...you clearly must not watch enough Madrid games. When you have ball hog Ronaldo as the main man scoring 50-60 odd goals a season it's naturally going to be difficult for their number 9 to be even half as prolific. Everything goes through CR, with Benzema mopping up the left overs. At Arsenal he would be the main man up front and Ozil will finally have somebody that understands basic striker movement to pass to.

There is a reason the fans and owner love him. Not sure how you can compare him to Giroud...Benzema is technically better, quicker, stronger, and doesn't have the donkey trait Giroud is cursed with.

Do we need to compare the trophies that they've won? Yeh, that's where the comparison ends.
Doesn't change a single word of what I wrote. I've watched Benzema and he's not top quality despite your buy in to the media hype. He's good - there's no doubting that - but so is Giroud on his day. So why spend huge if it's not a serious upgrade on what you have? And if you think it's a cert he will arrive and is guaranteed to bang in 20+ PL goals (which is what we need and don't have with Giroud or Welbeck or Walcott) purely based on what he's done in less aggressive less physical, slower leagues, then you are deluded.

What is comparing trophies meant to establish? By your reckoning Phil Neville is better than Bergkamp or Adams or Pires huh? Because only one of them won the Champion's League. Slackjaw also won more PL's than any of them too. But hey - that's where the comparison ends, huh? :lol: :oops: :roll:
What makes you think I've bought into the hype? I WATCH football. In an ideal world, Aguero and Suarez would be playing for us but it's not going to happen. What other options do you fantasise about that are actually realistic? I would be happy with Lewandowski but highly doubt Bayern would sell.

You have to be a pedantic bellend to nitpick this. Phil Neville is not a striker is he? We are comparing trophies they've helped their clubs win from the striker position. Benzema helped Lyon and Madrid win multiple League titles and the CL. This usually shows a certain pedigree and a winners mentality. Giroud has helped us win a couple of FA Cups...

Genuinely amazed the level of stupidity you have to possess to even think these 2 are on the same level.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Incredibly worried that we're going to miss out on Lewandowski to Man Utd.

It's obvious they need a striker and with the sale of Di Maria imminent I can see them making a move for him. I don't see Benzema leaving RM. Ibra's been touted as going back to AC Milan and I don't see Cavani leaving PSG if Ibra goes.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

When does this Transfer Window Close?

The reason I ask is so that any one of the Mods can get ready with the 'Trigger' and blow this pointless motherfuckin never gonna sign anyone of note thread into oblivion.

Just FUCKKOFF Wenger you clueless twat.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:When does this Transfer Window Close?

The reason I ask is so that any one of the Mods can get ready with the 'Trigger' and blow this pointless motherfuckin never gonna sign anyone of note thread into oblivion.

Just FUCKKOFF Wenger you clueless twat.

:high5:

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:Incredibly worried that we're going to miss out on Lewandowski to Man Utd.

It's obvious they need a striker and with the sale of Di Maria imminent I can see them making a move for him. I don't see Benzema leaving RM. Ibra's been touted as going back to AC Milan and I don't see Cavani leaving PSG if Ibra goes.
Sanogo is available I believe

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:Incredibly worried that we're going to miss out on Lewandowski to Man Utd.

You could argue that City might also be on the lookout. Aguero injured, Jovetic gone, Dzeko gone. Leaves Bony and, depending on how they use him, Sterling.

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

Mr T, I honestly wouldn't bother trying to explain to anybody who has the slightest basic understanding if football, why Karim Benzema is a better striker than Olivier Giroud! The fact that insane tangents are then used to justify patently idiotic arguments (eg Neville has more caps than Wrighty, ergo he's better...errrr no. Benzema has won more, and performed to a higher level, and is consistently picked ahead of Giroud at international level.
Major Trophies mean nothing apparently, so that must mean that anyone thinking Benzems is superior to Giroud must only be looking at trophies - and hence must also believe that David May is a better player than Tony Adams (since he won more major medals lol).

This is almost certainly along the line of "logic" that Inter a Milan supporters criticism of Podolski had no merit because they're "racists".
Must be why Podolski is setting the world slight at, errrrm... Oh yeah Galatasaray!
:oops: :roll:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I would have loved to have seen Bony at Arsenal instead of rotting on the city bench. Bony instead of Welbeck would have been a massive upgrade but alas we are where we are. If it's a case of Benzema or nobody then obviously I'd rather we did the deal but Lewandowski would be the dream ticket for me. As I have been institutionalised by Arsenal I don't watch a massive amount of football outside our games so I don't have a long list of potential targets but I wouldn't be adverse to the club taking a punt on a guy who's been amongst the goals in one of Europe's top divisions who doesn't play with one of the mega powers.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:Mr T, I honestly wouldn't bother trying to explain to anybody who has the slightest basic understanding if football, why Karim Benzema is a better striker than Olivier Giroud! The fact that insane tangents are then used to justify patently idiotic arguments (eg Neville has more caps than Wrighty, ergo he's better...errrr no. Benzema has won more, and performed to a higher level, and is consistently picked ahead of Giroud at international level.
Major Trophies mean nothing apparently, so that must mean that anyone thinking Benzems is superior to Giroud must only be looking at trophies - and hence must also believe that David May is a better player than Tony Adams (since he won more major medals lol).

This is almost certainly along the line of "logic" that Inter a Milan supporters criticism of Podolski had no merit because they're "racists".
Must be why Podolski is setting the world slight at, errrrm... Oh yeah Galatasaray!
The depths of your stupidity never ceases to amaze me tbh. :lol: Your inability to hold a discussion without misquoting and deliberately ignoring what has been posted never surprises me though. :roll:

Now, sloooooowly, read my posts again. Then read your pathetic little rant. It's nonsensical. :lol: :oops:

Then seriously, go back to your football websites and quote the mongs that post comments on there. That's all you have. You have no knowledge beyond stating either the very obvious or the very incorrect, based on popular stupid opinions from those same comments section.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:Mr T, I honestly wouldn't bother trying to explain to anybody who has the slightest basic understanding if football, why Karim Benzema is a better striker than Olivier Giroud! The fact that insane tangents are then used to justify patently idiotic arguments (eg Neville has more caps than Wrighty, ergo he's better...errrr no. Benzema has won more, and performed to a higher level, and is consistently picked ahead of Giroud at international level.

The depths of your stupidity never ceases to amaze me tbh. :lol: Your inability to hold a discussion without misquoting and deliberately ignoring what has been posted never surprises me though. :roll:

Now, sloooooowly, read my posts again. Then read your pathetic little rant. It's nonsensical. :lol: :oops:

Then seriously, go back to your football websites and quote the mongs that post comments on there. That's all you have. You have no knowledge beyond stating either the very obvious or the very incorrect, based on popular stupid opinions from those same comments section.
Problem is now it's the school holidays he will posting all fuckin day :roll: :wink: :lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

@Chippy

Roll on summer 2023! :D

@Gunnersaurus

Understood re Coquelin, thanks for clarifying.

@PlayingMantis

OK, misread your post, but still say we are better than the end of last season simply by the addition of Cech.

dome wrote:Hi mates, do you know who's Marian , player that's coming from Southern Italy to play in Arsenal U/21 team ?

If he signs might have to nickname him "Maid Marian?"

Think he is a Romanian, is having a trial with the under 21's, not sure he has signed a contract yet though.