Other sports

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
REB

Re: Other sports

Post by REB »

tough game and had the aussies a kicker then they would have won.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

REB wrote:tough game and had the aussies a kicker then they would have won.
Absolutely. Referee ran the game to his own tastes and didn't allow any competition at the breakdown as well as making some seemingly arbitrary decisions at the scrum. Only one turnover all game is unheard of for rugby in these here parts but Joubert and the French ref in the 3rd test will both ref it properly. The likes of Phillips and O'Driscoll will prosper more from that and Warburton could be a matchwinner. Phillips had a mare today but he'll keep his place and I'd probably agree (just about).

Will be interesting if Bowe and Roberts are fit. Bowe/Cuthbert isn't as big a shout because the loser will be on bench but one of Davies/Roberts will miss out on the squad (without considering Tuilagi) - personally I'd go Davies. Also think that Lydiate would be a better shout than Crofts around the breakdown but doubt they'll want to lose a lineout jumper.

REB

Post by REB »

yeah the ref was a bit strange with giving away penalties that would have been nothing in the 6 nations, overall was a good game and had some great tries.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Thought it was a great game to watch for 60 minutes until the Lions emulated our tactics at 1-0 up: ditch any sort of tactical game plan and play a nervous, defensive game with no endeavour.

Roll on next week. And if any of you Oirish or English fancy making a contribution to the points total other than gifting the Aussies penalties that would be great :mrgreen:

REB

Post by REB »

today im off to cork v clare in the hurling,

a proper mans game :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Feel sick about the cricket today. Have to say that the ICC was secondary to the Ashes this summer (and winter) and that winning in that fashion would not have proved that they were the best limited overs team in the world, in the tournament or even that they deserved to win it. But would have been so nice to turn over India given that they are a miles better side. Biggest shame was getting into a great position to win it by restricting them and then rebuilding with Bopara and Morgan but always sensed England would blow it. Again Buttler defied these wild estimations of his ability with a stupid and ugly heave across the line and Bresnan lacks any sort of brain with ball or bat in hand, but they just fell short as a team.

How was the hurling Reb? Can't say my knowledge of it extends beyond a Guinness advert :lol: but I've always imagined it as being hugely entertaining and I imagine the games can generate a cracking atmosphere. Basically seems like hockey played at head height!

REB

Post by REB »

a bit more then hockey :lol:

had a great day and we won :barscarf:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

REB wrote:a bit more then hockey :lol:

had a great day and we won :barscarf:
Great win for Cork..little Davy hadn't much to say !!! ....I hate Rugby with a passion...Know its not the thing to say now as Rugby is "cool" in Ireland at the moment. Love pointing out that Ireland are represented on he Lions kit with a green hoop on the socks.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Nadal out of wimbledon in the first round

augie

Post by augie »

NFL all the way baby :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Not sure if it is down to my disenfranchised feelings towards all things Arsenal or my general resentment of the way the game has changed over the last decade or so, but in the past couple of years I have found myself enjoying watching nfl games more than I do watching footie these days :o :oops: Maybe that also has something to do with the fact that in the nfl there are really only 5 or 6 franchises that I actually despise thus making it easier for me to watch a game "as a neutral" which is in contrast to footie where more often than not I hate a club, a manager or a player that is involved :oops:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

LDB wrote:Nadal out of wimbledon in the first round
What a bummer :wink:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:NFL all the way baby :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Not sure if it is down to my disenfranchised feelings towards all things Arsenal or my general resentment of the way the game has changed over the last decade or so, but in the past couple of years I have found myself enjoying watching nfl games more than I do watching footie these days :o :oops: Maybe that also has something to do with the fact that in the nfl there are really only 5 or 6 franchises that I actually despise thus making it easier for me to watch a game "as a neutral" which is in contrast to footie where more often than not I hate a club, a manager or a player that is involved :oops:
I'm a little surprised you like NFL, Augie. Based on your posts on this forum, I would have thought the NFL represents pretty much everything you hate about modern sport.... franchised teams; financially driven; media obsessed; adverts DURING games :o , big, soulless stadiums; expensive tickets; crazy wages; fan friendly officials that use a comedy style giant marker to measure yards; shit chants from the crowd... and a shit load of cringey "defense" and "offense" americanisms :x

I like it, but I thought you were old skool, Augie?! :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I imagine I'm speaking for the majority when I say I can't derive any enjoyment from watching NFL.

Although I do agree that I hate so many football teams now I find it impossible to watch as a 'neutral' - I'm watching less football than ever.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

northbank123 wrote:I imagine I'm speaking for the majority when I say I can't derive any enjoyment from watching NFL.

Although I do agree that I hate so many football teams now I find it impossible to watch as a 'neutral' - I'm watching less football than ever.
Same here - although for me it isn't so much hatred of other teams as being that disconsolate with mine, I don't want to watch other, better teams play like mine should, out of pure jealousy. :cry: :cry:

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
augie wrote:NFL all the way baby :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I'm a little surprised you like NFL, Augie. Based on your posts on this forum, I would have thought the NFL represents pretty much everything you hate about modern sport.... franchised teams; financially driven; media obsessed; adverts DURING games :o , big, soulless stadiums; expensive tickets; crazy wages; fan friendly officials that use a comedy style giant marker to measure yards; shit chants from the crowd... and a shit load of cringey "defense" and "offense" americanisms :x

I like it, but I thought you were old skool, Augie?! :lol:

I'm an NFL fan for over 20 years now g88ner and all those criticisms you refer to were present when I started watching the sport so really I haven't known the game without those traits. In contrast I have been a footie fan for 40 years now and as such I have a reference point to which I can keep comparing the modern day footie with......in other words I have known the game before it was all about money and have known it since money became number 1 :( There are many aspects of the nfl that I don't like but, as much as I really enjoy the game, I still don't feel that sense of belonging like I do with footie so those flaws don't bother me as much. Another problem is that the over-saturation of footie on tv has lessened my appetite for the game whilst the sparsity of nfl coverage always leaves me craving for more.
Finally can I just say that for all the money that runs through the nfl (and it dwarfs football), they still have and support the idea of parity - arsole wenker might spout bullshit about FFP but could you honestly see him agreeing to a system that see's all revenue being split equally meaning the likes of Norwich would get as much money as we would ? In the nfl they use a proper financial equalisation system which leaves all franchises operating on a level playing field and by and large it prevents a system where one or two teams can dominate for years (which seems to happen in every football league across europe :roll: ) - that equality shines out like a beacon and makes me proud to be an nfl fan 8)