THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Gunner Rob »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:48 am
I still think that after the dispatching of CSKA, we will have a game on our hands no matter who we face in the Semis. Arsenal still gave away loads of chances that better teams will/should put away, so I can't see them winning the cup. I will call it that we will start the another slump around that time.

Those fixtures (Semis) fall on the 26th of April. We have Utd away on the 29th. Second leg the following Thursday and Burnley home on the 5th.

I see some very patchy form around that time and we may even struggle against Newcastle away and of course, the customary empty seats at home. However, I have called things pretty badly in the past, but I do think that should be that for Wenger.

Jardim, Favre, Simeone, whomever - I don't care. Someone please change the record at the end of the season!
we are on a six match winning run and have a chance of winning a European trophy - Wenger, the great survivalist is doing it again.
the only question next month will be whether his contract gets extended so that questions over his future can be postponed yet again.

Wenger has said he is not going and Kroenke will not sack him!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Fuck you Wenger. Because of you, for the first time ever, I cannot think of a single damn thing to say about the club I love(d?)

Nope, not a thing. Yeah I logged in to say that :roll:

Sweet FA! Zero, zilch, nil, nowt, nada, nish ....

Fuck

:suicide:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Clash wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:50 pm
Fuck you Wenger. Because of you, for the first time ever, I cannot think of a single damn thing to say about the club I love(d?)

Nope, not a thing. Yeah I logged in to say that :roll:

Sweet FA! Zero, zilch, nil, nowt, nada, nish ....

Fuck

:suicide:
Yeah that is the worst thing now, there is just nothing to say anymore, we've all moaned about the same old shower of shit we've been served up for the last decade until the cows have come home, nothing to see here move along please.

30,000 at the bowl next season and tumbleweed rolling accross the pitch will be the norm.

Welcome to a Stan Kroenke owned sports franchise...... I warned you!.

:evil: :roll: :twisted: :evil:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

We could and should have got Klopp three years ago. Not only does his team play infinitely more attractive football, but they now have a decent defence. Even if they don't win another Champions' League, they have shown the ambition to try. We can call them all the names under the sun, but I envy them.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

The idea of Liverpool winning the CL was a few years ago would have been ridiculous. But here they are, a viable pathway to CL success.

Mind you, I think it depends on drawing Roma and winning at the neutral venue in the final - I dont think they can beat either Madrid or Munich over two legs.

Whats Wenger done since the genius people running the club passed on Klopp for Wenger. We even missed out on Pep who preferred Arsenal to City. So Wenger wants to talk bout loyalty, well there you go fuk wit. Look at the loyalty shown to you when AFC passed on these two to stick with you? You reckon that loyalty has been rewarded?

He seriously needs to understand he isnt doing us a favour be being here. He thinks we should be thankful for him being here. He really is David Brent - delusional, narcissistic and has no self-awareness or ability to self analyse.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:25 pm
We could and should have got Klopp three years ago. Not only does his team play infinitely more attractive football, but they now have a decent defence. Even if they don't win another Champions' League, they have shown the ambition to try. We can call them all the names under the sun, but I envy them.
Not that he wouldn't be a slight improvement on Wenger (who at this point wouldn't?) but I'm not sure where you get the idea they now have a decent defence? Of the top 6 clubs only we have conceded more goals. And that goal they conceded last night was indicative of their defensive standard. Their position in the table is down to out scoring teams because of the form of Salah.

The Mousers under Klopp are similar to us under Wenger - inconsistent with moments of brilliance. For me Klopp would be a step sideways. But to be honest I'm so sick of everything Wenger I'd take almost anyone just to break the tedium of the last decade. :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Also forgot to add that Klopp is very similar to Wenger in that his ego dictates almost everything he does. We need a new manager that will be pragmatic and do what needs to be done to rebuild.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilson wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:43 am
The idea of Liverpool winning the CL was a few years ago would have been ridiculous. But here they are, a viable pathway to CL success.

Mind you, I think it depends on drawing Roma and winning at the neutral venue in the final - I dont think they can beat either Madrid or Munich over two legs.

Whats Wenger done since the genius people running the club passed on Klopp for Wenger. We even missed out on Pep who preferred Arsenal to City. So Wenger wants to talk bout loyalty, well there you go fuk wit. Look at the loyalty shown to you when AFC passed on these two to stick with you? You reckon that loyalty has been rewarded?

He seriously needs to understand he isnt doing us a favour be being here. He thinks we should be thankful for him being here. He really is David Brent - delusional, narcissistic and has no self-awareness or ability to self analyse.
Um.... won an FA Cup which is one more trophy than Klopp.... :lol:

Missing out on Klopp wasn't a disaster. Missing out on the bald Spaniard was.... :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I don't think we ever "missed out " on P.G as he wouldn't come to an also ran mediocre club that won't spend .
The very top managers go to the Money-go-round clubs like Maureen has ,managing us could be Toxic .
KIopp has got Liverpool playing good football but whether he will ever win anything with them remains to be seen.
Other Top Managers don't want to come to a place where u will have to rebuild from scratch ,they like walking in to a place ,have a massive turnover of players ,spend a fortune ,win something or get fired then move on.
Arsenal or at least Kroenke knows that changing managers means more spending and he won't like that but unless Kroenke sees empty seats turn into unpaid for seats he won't care and Wenger is safe ! :barscarf: :barscarf:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Lets see how many ST renewals, and what's the ST waiting list now?
Should he win the Europa, then it is guaranteed he will stay with his Willy Wonka Gold ticket to the CL, but our record in Europe is poor and we choke like chickens when the time comes....
As most have said Kroenke will only react when he sees the cash flow plummet, otherwise it will be business as usual...

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Not that he wouldn't be a slight improvement on Wenger (who at this point wouldn't?) but I'm not sure where you get the idea they now have a decent defence? Of the top 6 clubs only we have conceded more goals. And that goal they conceded last night was indicative of their defensive standard. Their position in the table is down to out scoring teams because of the form of Salah.

The Mousers under Klopp are similar to us under Wenger - inconsistent with moments of brilliance. For me Klopp would be a step sideways. But to be honest I'm so sick of everything Wenger I'd take almost anyone just to break the tedium of the last decade. :roll:
I agree that up until the end of last year Liverpool still had a dodgy defence.
however they had the ambition to go out and buy a £75 million defender - something that maybe if this club had done in 2016 we might have won the league. as it is now their defence is much better and to beat City 5-1 over 2 legs shows that their defence is far better now than before.

next season they will probably challenge for the title again - meanwhile we will be struggling to hold off teams like Newcastle who are improving fast under Benitez.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

More accurate to say missing out on the bald Catalan ,

It is believed that this is where the problem with last nights referee stems from.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:14 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

I agree that up until the end of last year Liverpool still had a dodgy defence.
however they had the ambition to go out and buy a £75 million defender - something that maybe if this club had done in 2016 we might have won the league. as it is now their defence is much better and to beat City 5-1 over 2 legs shows that their defence is far better now than before.

next season they will probably challenge for the title again - meanwhile we will be struggling to hold off teams like Newcastle who are improving fast under Benitez.
Tbh I don't agree Rob. Of the current top 5 teams THIS season Liverpool have conceded the most goals. How is that "far better"? For me van Dijk is not a world class defender and not worth what they spent on him even if it did show some ambition to spend that much. Beating Citeh 5-1 only shows that Citeh were extremely poor over two games. You can't judge a defence's quality over 2 games.

I'd be amazed if they can hold onto Salah this summer tbh and without him they'll be back out around 5th or 6th next season. Even with him they won't challenge for the PL as Klopp doesn't know how to build or maintain a consistent team at the highest level.... similar to Wenger.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I don't claim that Liverpool's defence is their strong suit - but they have improved it to the point where they didn't allow City a single shot at their goal at Anfield and (albeit with some good fortune) restricted them to one goal in the away leg. This time last year their defence was no better than Arsenal's - now it is markedly better. In a relatively short space of time Klopp has transformed Liverpool into a team capable of challenging for top honours, while we have continued to slide further and further off the pace. While I agree Pep would have been preferable, to suggest that Klopp would have represented a "sideways move" from Wenger is an insult to him. The man exudes energy and passion, let alone that he is far superior as a coach, motivator and tactician - ask The Ox.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm
I don't claim that Liverpool's defence is their strong suit - but they have improved it to the point where they didn't allow City a single shot at their goal at Anfield and (albeit with some good fortune) restricted them to one goal in the away leg. This time last year their defence was no better than Arsenal's - now it is markedly better. In a relatively short space of time Klopp has transformed Liverpool into a team capable of challenging for top honours, while we have continued to slide further and further off the pace. While I agree Pep would have been preferable, to suggest that Klopp would have represented a "sideways move" from Wenger is an insult to him. The man exudes energy and passion, let alone that he is far superior as a coach, motivator and tactician - ask The Ox.
You are letting your personal hatred of Wenger cloud your judgement there tbh. Energy and passion won't win anything. As a tactician Klopp is almost as bad as Wenger for God's sake. Moron-hio is a tactician (a negative bastard but still a tactician) Klopp is an ammatuer that thinks attack attack attack and hope for the best at the back is a tactic. Maybe he is a better man motivator but to use the Ox as an example of this is stretching too far. What has the Ox done since he went to the Mousers? Exactly what he did with us.... a few good performances, a good few howlers, one world class goal, and total inconsistency.

We need to look at a much better manager than Klopp to rebuild the absolute shitfest Wenger has built and will leave behind.