Possible Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Macca wrote:It should go down to head to head if all else fails...F*cking play off, money grabbing fixture it'll be, I won't even watch it, give it a few years and there will be a play off in the premiership for 4th, 5th and 6th!!!
Really? :shock:

You wouldn't watch the first ever Premier League play-off game? even if it's between Arsenal and Chelsea for a place in the champions league? :?

I can understand football fans not liking the idea of a play-off, but surely if you're team is in it, you'd want to watch it, wouldn't you?! - I'd definitely watch it!!!
Me too, but the tension would be unbearable with so much at stake. I mean, I'm already having sleepless nights at the prospect of the 4th placed trophy because earning our controlling shareholder another £30m is the stuff of dreams but to have the honour of winning a one-off match that means Stan is automatically guaranteed that money.....it just doesn't get any better. Real pant-wetting stuff. My only concern is that the sheer magnitude of the fixture will overshadow the minor event between Dortmund and Bayern that weekend

safcftm

Re: Possible Tie-breaker for 3rd place..

Post by safcftm »

Hmm, a play off to see which team gets to comfortably sail through the qualifying round of the CL and which doesn't have to bother? Just toss a coin man, it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, or at least host the game in London somewhere so the fans don't have to trek to fucking Birmingham to watch it

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

safcftm wrote:Hmm, a play off to see which team gets to comfortably sail through the qualifying round of the CL and which doesn't have to bother? Just toss a coin man, it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, or at least host the game in London somewhere so the fans don't have to trek to fucking Birmingham to watch it
Well said mate....its another example of the fucking Champions League being the shitey, bloated fucking competition that it is. I share some the sentiment on here that the only reason we're worked up about it tomorrow is because its the Scum. If it was Everton going for 4th I couldn't give a flying fuck. The group stage is one of the most dull competitions in world football with the last 2 games at least usually being dead for at least one of the sides......so we travel across Europe playing kids in meaningless games in half empty stadia. When the competition gets going properly, we get out.....so what's the fucking point. If we qualify it will be exactly the same next year. We'll hammer some useless fuckers by 5 or 6 in September, be virtually through after 4 games and either scrape the group and play the best runner-up or come runners up and draw Barca, Bayern, Milan, Real or anyone else likely to kick our ass. The second leg "heroics" will be lauded when we come from 3 or 4 goals down to be the valiant losers once more

Boring fucking competition when you're Arsenal. At least we'd have a chance in the Europa although having said that it we went deep into the competition Lord Cuntface would sacrifice it in favour of any chance of regaining the virtual trophy

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

How many words or less do we have to answer in ?

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

anybody know who has the best odds on a playoff being required?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

highburyJD wrote:anybody know who has the best odds on a playoff being required?

Read somewhere tht during the week it was 130/1 but you can now get it at 50/1 according to yesterdays daily mirror

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

SteveO 35 wrote:
safcftm wrote:Hmm, a play off to see which team gets to comfortably sail through the qualifying round of the CL and which doesn't have to bother? Just toss a coin man, it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, or at least host the game in London somewhere so the fans don't have to trek to fucking Birmingham to watch it
Well said mate....its another example of the fucking Champions League being the shitey, bloated fucking competition that it is. I share some the sentiment on here that the only reason we're worked up about it tomorrow is because its the Scum. If it was Everton going for 4th I couldn't give a flying fuck. The group stage is one of the most dull competitions in world football with the last 2 games at least usually being dead for at least one of the sides......so we travel across Europe playing kids in meaningless games in half empty stadia. When the competition gets going properly, we get out.....so what's the fucking point. If we qualify it will be exactly the same next year. We'll hammer some useless fuckers by 5 or 6 in September, be virtually through after 4 games and either scrape the group and play the best runner-up or come runners up and draw Barca, Bayern, Milan, Real or anyone else likely to kick our ass. The second leg "heroics" will be lauded when we come from 3 or 4 goals down to be the valiant losers once more

Boring fucking competition when you're Arsenal. At least we'd have a chance in the Europa although having said that it we went deep into the competition Lord Cuntface would sacrifice it in favour of any chance of regaining the virtual trophy
Agreed - obviously you'll want 4th so you can finish above Spurs, that's understandable, but in terms of the fans I think you'd have more fun in the Europa League than you'd have in the Champions League. For a start there's too many big city teams in the CL, you're always going to the same old places whereas the Europa League has more random towns in far flung locations that are a bit of a trek to get to but that feel more like following your team rather than just flying to Munich/ Madrid/ Barcelona/ Milan/ Paris etc. It would be more of a laugh for the gooners in the europa and you'd have every chance of winning it whereas as you say the CL is boringly predictable in that Arsenal aren't going to suddenly start knocking out enough of the heavyweights to win the thing. Obviously it would be bad for the club financially to miss out on the CL for a season but you've been sensibly managed in that respect so its not as if you couldn't cope. You wouldn't want to be in the europa too many seasons like but as a one off it would be a laugh and might focus the boards minds on spending to ensure it doesn't happen again!

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote: Well said mate....its another example of the fucking Champions League being the shitey, bloated fucking competition that it is. I share some the sentiment on here that the only reason we're worked up about it tomorrow is because its the Scum. If it was Everton going for 4th I couldn't give a flying fuck. The group stage is one of the most dull competitions in world football with the last 2 games at least usually being dead for at least one of the sides......so we travel across Europe playing kids in meaningless games in half empty stadia. When the competition gets going properly, we get out.....so what's the fucking point. If we qualify it will be exactly the same next year. We'll hammer some useless fuckers by 5 or 6 in September, be virtually through after 4 games and either scrape the group and play the best runner-up or come runners up and draw Barca, Bayern, Milan, Real or anyone else likely to kick our ass. The second leg "heroics" will be lauded when we come from 3 or 4 goals down to be the valiant losers once more

Agree with every word mate.

There are just 2 reasons I want us to be in the CL. Firstly because I don’t want Spurs finishing about Arsenal. Secondly because I don’t want Thursday / Sunday games next year. Otherwise, Arsenal being in the CL is waste of time. We’re all aware by now that we’re just in it to make up the bloated amount of numbers.

And I see Wenger has been complaining that Chelsea have been rewarded for failure by being allowed to go into the Europa after failing in the CL group stage. I actually agree with him ... although Wenger moaning about rewarding failure is laughable for so many reasons.

Of course, the ideal solution to his complaint about the way UEFA organise their competitions is to put the 3rd and 4th placed league teams straight into the Europa in the first place. But I bet he wouldn’t like that would he?

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
highburyJD wrote:anybody know who has the best odds on a playoff being required?

Read somewhere tht during the week it was 130/1 but you can now get it at 50/1 according to yesterdays daily mirror

Bang on the money there mac. Well almost. 40/1 being offered now.

JD, this site is worth bookmarking.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... e-play-off

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

mcdowell42 wrote:

didn't bother in the end - thought a tenner at 130-1 was worth it.
Not a buyer at 40s/50s - good decision