Rocky Memorial

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Rocky Memorial

Post by Herd »

[/quote]Not completely true, mate. He did say those words in an interview, but he was quoting them as something inspirational that Steve Burtenshaw, had told him and Big Tone as youth players: "Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent: The Arsenal." I suppose the inference being that he was inspired by those words and it are something that is now rightly associated with his persona.[/quote]

Graham said it b4 Anfield 1989 , he had heard it before as a player from Bertie Mee , I think Joe Mercer once quoted it too ,but yes if it works thats fair enough !

The night in 87 was a huge night for me and how diffrerent things are , we marched en masse and unnaposed right up the high road and afterwards danced in the streets on the corner where now you see all the jackals and OB !

I didnt go home that night except to change into a suit !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Herd wrote:
Not completely true, mate. He did say those words in an interview, but he was quoting them as something inspirational that Steve Burtenshaw, had told him and Big Tone as youth players: "Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent: The Arsenal." I suppose the inference being that he was inspired by those words and it are something that is now rightly associated with his persona.
Graham said it b4 Anfield 1989 , he had heard it before as a player from Bertie Mee , I think Joe Mercer once quoted it too ,but yes if it works thats fair enough !
Yeah, I had read somewhere that Don Howe attributed the original remark to Bertie, but by all reports Rocky heard it first from Burtenshaw as a youth player. Shame our current manager couldn't drill something similar into our players nowadays... :|

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:
Not completely true, mate. He did say those words in an interview, but he was quoting them as something inspirational that Steve Burtenshaw, had told him and Big Tone as youth players: "Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent: The Arsenal." I suppose the inference being that he was inspired by those words and it are something that is now rightly associated with his persona.
Yeah, I had read somewhere that Don Howe attributed the original remark to Bertie, but by all reports Rocky heard it first from Burtenshaw as a youth player. Shame our current manager couldn't drill something similar into our players nowadays... :|
He's too busy drilling lead into Mertesacker's boots and air into Walcott's head.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:
He's too busy drilling lead into Mertesacker's boots and air into Walcott's head.
Really thought you were going to finish that with the words "into that French rappers big ol' dirty burst hedgehog". :lol:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

DB10GOONER wrote:
officepest wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:
Really thought you were going to finish that with the words "into that French rappers big ol' dirty burst hedgehog". :lol:
:coffeespit:

Alas, I lack the wit for such thinking.

I dunno how Wenger manages to find the time to drill anything into anything to be honest, what with building our club and scouting 24/7, 365.

REB

Post by REB »

15 years ago today.

rip rocky

#rockyremembered

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

Plenty of recognition of Rockys passing today.
Nice article here and great pics too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ons-rocky/

And another here worth a read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... ons-rocky/

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Herd wrote:
Not completely true, mate. He did say those words in an interview, but he was quoting them as something inspirational that Steve Burtenshaw, had told him and Big Tone as youth players: "Remember who you are, what you are, and who you represent: The Arsenal." I suppose the inference being that he was inspired by those words and it are something that is now rightly associated with his persona.[/quote]

The night in 87 was a huge night for me and how diffrerent things are , we marched en masse and unnaposed right up the high road and afterwards danced in the streets on the corner where now you see all the jackals and OB !

I didnt go home that night except to change into a suit ![/quot

Herd,those semi-finals were epic I went to the home leg couldn't go to the second leg due to family issues but was there for the replay :D

It was a fantastic night and the away end was packed solid I couldn't even raise my hands when Ian Allinson equalized let alone when Rocky got the winner epic,epic night!He epitomized Arsenal at the time alongside TA and others a young team that you could see played for the shirt didn't have to talk BS like nowadays about 'team spirit' etc you saw it where it mattered on the pitch.

Great days as we were a team on the rise and a great afternoon followed at Wembley beating the scousers and ruining Rush's record.It was the first trophy I had seen us win in the flesh and Rocky was a big,big part of our renaissance as a force in English football

R.I.P Rocky,never forgotten.