Life without Thierry!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gareth roulton

Life without Thierry!

Post by gareth roulton »

Hi all, Im a newly registered member to the forum and would like to post my comments regarding the departure of our no.14.

Have to say im quite disappointed in his departure to Barcalona especially after the night of defeat against them in the Champions League just over a year ago when he was raging with the antics of some of their players plus descisions by the referee.

Barca had offered around £25m for him that January with 6 months left on his contract, he declined and after Champs League final he signed a 4 year deal. Now a year later we receive £16m which works out slightly more than the £100,000 a week he was on but to lose £9m in a year is bit of a joke.

Having read the question and answer session with him on Arsenal.com i would have to query some of his comments, like the departure of David Dein, always giving 100%. most difficult descision of his life and barca playing the arsenal way!

I can't see how David Dein leaving immediately affects the players as they would be closer to the manager. He says he alwys gave 100% which isn't exactly true, in a lot of games you would within the 1st 10-15 mins as to what sort of mood he was in and as to what to expect from him. Regards as to most difficult descision as i said before about Champions League final v Barca and their antics why would you want go and be part of that? I have seen a few Barcalona games and wouldn't exactly say they play 'The Arsenal way' as they have been average enough especially the night of the 2nd leg v Liverpool in this seasons Champions League.

Now that i've picked my faults with him i admit is going to be bloody hard to replace him. £16m nowadays doesn't buy you much quality like we have lost and i'm worried that Wenger and Fabregas will be the next out the exit door. Walcott cost us £12m and we have yet to see his full qualities (yes he played very well in Carling Cup final) but need to see more of it.

But lets remember the good times with him, the 226 goals inc. crackers v spurs, liverpool, man u, charlton back heel, shot with outside of boot away to sparta and countless free kicks, whilst were sorry to see him go the rest of the premiership are glad to see the back of him! And he did bring in quite a lot of funds to the club as his goals were crucial in all the competitions he played in mainly resulted in our progress and prize money won.

His last season with us was disappointing by his standards mainly due to not having a proper rest after world cup, injuries and also missing his links ups with Pires and Cole who provided him with so many assists and didn't have same enjoyment with our left sided players last season.

Now we have to replace him (don't know how or whom) but Reyes is due to return but probably doesn't want to, but if he kept his head down could be ok but we do need to sign a couple of quality players. Not exactly keen on idea of selling club but might have to so as not to be left behind Man Ure, Chelski and Liverpool.

These are some of my thoughts on the situation and am interested to read other peoples.

Gareth Roulton.