Ade: A big lump cheating his team-mates?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Ade: A big lump cheating his team-mates?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Ade: A big lump cheating his team-mates
The weaknesses in the team were as apparent as ever v Pompey

By John the Gooner

30 December 2008

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=939

Article offers a round up of the author's opinions on the team, but let us focus on Adebayor.

I thought he was a very hard worker for the first two thirds of last season, until he got tired and pickd up some ankle knocks.

Even if he did not score, he made openings for others by dragging defenders out of position.

Thirty goals was a handsome return too.

This season he has offered a much reduced work rate, for a presumed much higher salary!

Not all his fault, as it cannot be easy for him to form a partnership with the individualist Van Persie, and the similar style Bendtner (with whom he is probably not on the best of personal terms).

Perhaps it will be Eduardo who brings Ade back to form?

Or will Ade leave in the summer, after a season that began by him facing a chorus of boos from fans angry at his summer wage "negotiations"?

brady

Post by brady »

More a case of needing someone to tell him he's no Henry and to just stay the hell in the last third of the pitch, but onside please. His control and touch are atrocious most of the time. I did think he was a fairly decent player last season, working hard as pointed out. But it really does seem to be a case where he's not the most reliable sort when the chips are down. And you have to wonder how much of his success last season was due to the creative spark in the team then - and we then recall that he only scored so many goals due to the sheer number of chances served up on a plate for him, many of which he also contrived to miss. Not that he was the only culprit of course, just the most prominent one.

Wayno

Post by Wayno »

Spot on brady 8)

RaM

Post by RaM »

Last season he was hard-working, and although the 30 goal haul looks less impressive when who he scored the most against is taken into account it was still good.

Might be a bit unfair to call Ade a fair-weather player, but in some ways he is. He'll be brilliant when the whole team is on song and firing but is incapable of providing any sort of spark if needed.

Bottom line, he spends too much time visualising himself as the perfect combination of Henry and Kanu and not enough replicating what either of them (particularly TH14) did on the pitch.

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

He's just proved he a 1 season wonder.He got what he wanted, a big pay rise or a move abroad.In hndsight we should have taken 30 odd millions offered and purchase 3 players as we not be in the situation we in now?

Lethal

Post by Lethal »

i hate him

the *word censored*

6OONER PETE

Post by 6OONER PETE »

Exciled gooner...a lot of us thought it was a bad decision not to sell Adebayor in the summer and buy some quality players.

Unfortunately we have been proved right.

This is what I wrote in August and many felt the same

.....................................................................................................

Why didn't we sell him this year when there were substantial offers for him?
Despite his goals, I have never rated him as good enough for us. I was desperate at the end of last season to get rid and buy a quality striker.It then seemed as if my wish had come true when Milan and Barca showed interest.
These were exceptional offers for a player that
1) has no left foot
2) rarely turns his defender
3) lays the ball back 85% of the time (often about six feet in the air for the receiving player!)
4) gets caught offside more than any other player
5) does not look up to see what options are available

Most top quality strikers go through a barren spell. With Adebayor I think it is the other way round. I think he has gone through a spell of scoring regularly and ( I really hope I'm proved wrong here ) the goals are going to dry up this season.

That's why we should have sold him this summer while we could still get a good price for him. For the money that was being quoted we could have bought some real quality in.

So this season I will still be hoping he's going to score, particularly if they're like the crackers he scored at Spuds and Newcastle, and I would never boo an Arsenal player.....but inside I'll be thinking as he cocks up yet again........Why the F@*k did we keep hold of this joker and give him a pay rise!!!!
.......................................................................................................

It is a shame to be proved right but quite honestly Adebayor is just not good enough and unfortunately, neither are a lot of others this season.

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

I wish wenger had listen to you pete coz what said is spot on.At first i admit i didn't want to sell him coz like others,not all,i was blinded by his goal tally and the way he scored some of those goals ,I orgasmed at the spuds one :roll: .But when he kept quiet when milan etc were interested in him and he wouldn't come out and say i WANT to stay at Arsenal,not until when Arsenal priced him at 35mil and no one come up with the asking price ,i said we should take the money and invest in the squad as you could in his face he was pissed off that he didn't get the move he wanted.
Just hope if it happens again we don't make the mistake.

6OONER PETE

Post by 6OONER PETE »

I also wish he'd listened to me and the 99.9% of supporters who keep saying we need to buy a DEFENSIVE MIDFIELD PLAYER to replace Flamini.

It's ironic that before Arsene arrived, we were all desperate to sign a defensive midfielder then. Arsene's first signing ? PV. Why can't he see that we require a similar player now?

We've had two transfer windows since Flamini left and still no replacement.

What the F%*K is going on !

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Arshavin is a great addition to the squad - when (IF!!!!) everyone is fit, our midfield / attack will be pretty impressive.

Rosick-note / Fabregas / Eboue (only kidding!) / Walcott

Arshavin / Van Persie / Adebayor if he can be bothered.

BUT - we need a defensive anchorman alongside Cesc.

The man we should've bought???? Michael Carrick.

We could've got him for a few million; he desperately wanted to join us; he is winning rave reviews for his defensive midfield role at Moan U this season; we still need that type of player to allow the creative lads to weave their magic.

Arsenal should NOT be in a dog-fight for 4th place but thanks to the lack of quality in depth, we find ourselves way off the pace.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

We do tend to forget that our long term injuries have happened to some of our most important players, however, that doesn't excuse Wenger in playing the sort of players (Eboue, Song, Diaby) that are BLATANTLY not good enough. It also doesn't excuse Wenger for not addressing our defence which also blatantly needs a top quality keeper and central defender as well as the fabled defensive midfielder that we can only now dream of.

Arshavin should hopefully give us that creative spark that we don't have at all now that Cesc is out. My worry is that Wenger won't play him for three or four games......we need him in the team next weekend!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

:barscarf: when we get the 4 lads back from injury we wont have to put up with song eboue.diaby i would keep as a squad member got to be positive things hopefully cant get any worse for us or these could be famous last words :barscarf: