Its time to admit what is going on

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
green gooner

Post by green gooner »

I am sure you have all seen the reports yesterday that we are going to announce a huge leap in profits for the last financial year that will allow Arsene a massive war chest for transfers NEXT summer! :lol:

Oh hold on, were we not told that LAST YEAR :cry:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

If Eboue can't defend (!) its just a blip because he'd been out with injury. I think we'll see a much improved player with time around - same as Hleb!

I can't believe that most of you are taking this as gospel just because a few papers printed the same story. Have we really lost interest in Sagna? Who says we ever were interested?

I also hear that Hoyte's younger brother is the better of the two, so maybe we're waiting for him to leave school?

Robsy

Post by Robsy »

WHY?

WHY?

WHY is everyone so bloody stressed about transfer activity? It's knee-jerk and short-term.

Arsene is building a team for the future. With Flamini its got to be "better the devil you know, than you don't." and he can play midfield or wing-back. Plus he's young(ish)

Right or Left, who gives a f***

The main problem as I see it, is the wings/who is gonna score 10 from midfield...

***STOP LISTENING TO SKY SPORTS SHIT***

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

BUILDING,BUILDING,BUILDING!!
Thats all I've kept hearing for THREE
FUCKING YEARS!
Who's Wenger turning into? The Dario Gradi
of the Premier League? Developing young
players with talent,but winning fuck all?
Be honest,can you actually see Arsenal
winning the Premier League with this group
of players?
If you're happy scrapping for fourth place
then thats ok,but I'm afraid I want more than
that.I've said many times that yes things
aren't as bad as some would make out,but
we have to buy and buy esatablished quality
to help the young talent we have,but I get
the felling Wenger is shit scared of buying so
called "stars".

wolf

Post by wolf »

I have seen most of the threads with regards to the summer transfer market, the board and of course TH rather dubious departure...

But with regards to the future all I really want is for all I really want is for someone,somewhere,to stand up and tell us all what is going on... We are all pretty much open minded to change (well almost all of us) At least let us - the supporters - set our expectation at the correct level..

PS Open Letter Mancs thread the other day was pricless..... :twisted:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wolf wrote:I have seen most of the threads with regards to the summer transfer market, the board and of course TH rather dubious departure...

But with regards to the future all I really want is for all I really want is for someone,somewhere,to stand up and tell us all what is going on... We are all pretty much open minded to change (well almost all of us) At least let us - the supporters - set our expectation at the correct level..

PS Open Letter Mancs thread the other day was pricless..... :twisted:
Hi Wolf Welcome on board mate. Very good points there. I think that would do most of us - just knowing what to expect.

Openletter-gate was a hoot, it has to be said. People kept glancing over at me in my office because I was laughing so hard. :wink: :lol:

I think some of them were a little scared I was gonna go postal. As in; pull out an automatic rifle and start shooting colleagues type postal.

The way those wacky guys in the US Post Office do every so often! :? :wink:

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Jesus I can't believe some of the posts in this thread, I mean have some of you only been supporting Arsenal for a month or somethin???
We have ALWAYS conducted our transfer dealings on the QT purely because AW is regarded as the best talent spotter in the business, and he doesn't want other clubs hijacking any prospective signings, remember him famously wearin a disguise complete with hat and false moustache when he went to watch Reyes!
When we do sign someone it's usually for an undisclosed fee, and same goes for when sell, in fact I think the offical club line is that TiTi's fee is undisclosed and the rest is pure media speculation!
Again this is probably cos AW does not like other clubs knowing how much he is prepared to pay for a certain class of player, or how much money he has burnin a hole in his pocket from the sale of an ex player!
I also can't believe how short-sighted and negative some people are bein, is it not clear to everybody that we will NEVER compete with ManUre or Chavski when it comes to buyin superstars, because they are by far the two richest clubs ON THE PLANET, and also because AW refuses to pay more for a player than he thinks he's worth!
I believe he genuinely wanted Ribery but there was no way he was gonna match Bayern's 23M bid, jesus even when Souness thought we were sniffin round Jenas he said he would cost us 20M yet he ended up goin to the Spuds for 8!
This is one of the reasons why AW's total net transfer outlay in his 10 years at the club is only 30M and why Sylvain Wiltord is still our record buy cos Jose was only 10.5 plus extras for success which as we all know he didn't achieve!
In fact I firmly believe that the only way we will ever be able to take on the two "superpowers" is buy building a young team so that when they reach their physical peak in 2 to 3 years, not only will they be able to match the likes of Chelsea who can afford to buy ready made players, but they will have been playin together for the previous 4 or 5 years, then we will hopefully have a team that can dominate the league and give us those back to back titles which we all crave!
This, arguably is what gave the scum all those titles even the ones we should've one, because they had that hard core of Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Butt and the Nevilles, supplemented by some key signings, but remember they broke the British or World transfer record probably 5 or 6 times during that period - Yorke, Stam, Veron, Ferdinand, RVN and Rooney, I mean there's no doubt that we should've been champs in 2003 but there is also no doubt that they went on a hell of a run to catch and eventually overtake us, that takes some team to do that, and IMO it's only us and them that have had that in recent times and yes that includes the Chavs who are more machine than team!
Sorry for the long post guys but what does AW and the board for that matter have to do to earn our trust, because what they have achieved together in the last decade is nothin short of miraculous, and they're lookin at the big picture and buildin for the future so don't sweat it cos there'll be more good news before the summers out, and I for one think we're privilaged to be Gooners in this era 8)

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

we should go on one of their forums, you know sort of a return fixture, great fun will be had by all, spread the love people, spread the love.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

U.F.G Anfield '89 wrote:we should go on one of their forums, you know sort of a return fixture, great fun will be had by all, spread the love people, spread the love.
Do they have forums like this? I understood that they message each other via racing pigeons. Then, when the pigeon is no longer up to it, they retire it to the dinner table... :)

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

actually they communicate through messages in bottles of brown ale, strapped to message whippets, you can tell a message whippet from a standard street whippet (which there are plenty of up north) by the flat cap that it is wearing.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Galasso wrote:
U.F.G Anfield '89 wrote:we should go on one of their forums, you know sort of a return fixture, great fun will be had by all, spread the love people, spread the love.
Do they have forums like this? I understood that they message each other via racing pigeons. Then, when the pigeon is no longer up to it, they retire it to the dinner table... :)
I checked out a couple yesterday to see if "the article" was mentioned and their forums are proper shite. Just a load of "Darrens" threatening each other over the Glazers. Seriously... :oops:

One site was barring people for writing posts about Big Brother. :shock:

Now, I too hate BB but it shows just how fractured their support is. For a club that just won the PL there is very little harmony amongst their armchair dwelling "fans".

We should get this return fixture sorted. Maybe Monday A.M.?

Will it interfere with them getting their benefits? :wink:

Sicc

Post by Sicc »

the board need to answer the question "where the hell is all the money"

if this story is true....

we're going to be the new ajax....feeder club to the world

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

You ebat me to that point Sicc although I think that is a little bit extreme!

As for knee jerk and building! what a load of tosh

We have come 4th for two seasons running, both by not a great margin! And where are we heading? If we are building a team then surely we should see some progress at least! We seem to be going backwards. If the long term aim was to sell Titi to buy some more young talent to win the league in 4 seasons then we've got massive problems and shouldn't have sold the stadium!

No champions league = £30 mill lost, probably more if you take into account the glory supporters and foreign supporters we will lose

It also means 30 million + more for a rival who can use it to buy two top class players next year to make sure they finish above us again!!

Three seasons of Champions league football = £100million pounds

If it was between 100 million worth of players or the opportunity of eboue, hoyte, younger hoyte (who looked awful for the reserves last time i saw them), senderos, djourou and 3 years time maybe being great players then i know what i'd choose!

Of course I still think we are going to do great this season, i wouldn't be a supporter if I was blindly optimistic but the real point fo this thread is to ask where this money is going and why isn't it being spent!

I've had faith in Wenger and the board plenty of times only for it to get nearer and nearer the transfer deadline until we hear "we dont need anymore players we have a great young squad full of talent blah blah" so much talent that with the best striker in the world we've scarped through to fourth twice and seem to have taken steps back over the summer!

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Sorry Belfast Boy,don't buy your argument,do you honestly think
that Chelsea & the Mancs will stand still and allow themselves to fall
behind in the 2 to 3 years you say it will take our "young" side to come to fruition? I don't think so,you also said that the Mancs had a very young side that came through together,but was helped by some key signings,which is exactly not what we are doing to help the talented group of young players we have.Surely you can see that?

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

We are used to that each year like has been said.

The difference this year is it's not just the chavs spending money, but now it's Manure, Scousers, spuds, all our main rivals. It's not stopping there the barcodes, villa, even man city will be spending.

These teams won't all fail with their signings.

Yes we keep things close to our chest but when all the available quote 'super super players' are being snapped up by our rivals thats when we get frustrated. Because we know any potential signings follow the young and promising tag which we are used to and not the experienced finished article we need to compliment our potential stars.