I'd Prefer a Draw to a Win...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
T.S

I'd Prefer a Draw to a Win...

Post by T.S »

First off, apologies for this new Man United Champions League thread. I'm an egomaniac who demands his own threads to voice his opinions. Deal with it.

So, as the title of this thread suggests, I was giving it a bit of thought yesterday, and I reckon that a draw, whether it be a score draw or a goalless draw, would actually be a better result for us than a win tomorrow night.

Now, before you call the men in white coats, by 'win', I mean realistic winning scorelines such as 1-0 and 2-1. There is no way I'd sit here and argue that a draw is better than a 6-0 win. Also, I want to make it perfectly clear that I do want Arsenal to win tomorrow night. There is no way I'd be disappointed with that!

All the same, I think that, specifically for this team, we'd have a better chance of getting through to the final with a draw from the first leg than a close win. This is for a combination of two reasons. Firstly, I simply don't have much confidence in our team defending a strong advantage against a team like United. Second of all, if we were to, for example, get a 1-0 win at their place, I can see them coming to our place, all guns blazing, and our defence/midfield not having a clue what to do (e.g. Anfield a few weeks ago).

I think we'd prefer a tighter scenario, like the one we found ourselves in when we played United this season at the Grove. If you remember, that match was our last chance to stay in the title race (I know, I know). We simply had to win, and we did. For some reason, I think that this team prefers playing as underdogs, as opposed to favourites.

Say what you like about the side and about how well it is undoubtedly playing, but the confidence is really, really fragile. So, imagine this scenario - we get a 1-0 win at OT. Then, they come to our place and score 1 in the 70th minute. How do you see our team responding? I hate to admit it, but I can see our team crumbling under the pressure. I know that Anfield showed that, at least our attacking players, are made of strong stuff, but that wasn't under the same pressure, and that match didn't really say much for the defence, did it?

So what do I think an ideal result would be for us at OT? I'd take 1-1, but I honestly think that a 0-0 would suit us down to the ground. Bring them back to the Grove where it would essentially be a one-off game which we have to win, and I reckon that would bring the best out of our team :barscarf:

What do you reckon. Am I mental?!

stg

Post by stg »

Not bad thinking I can see your point but if we do get back with a draw say 0-0 and they score an early goal at Arsenal we will have to push forward more and leave gaps at the back. I think tonight they will push forward more to try and get a couple of goals so we will have more space to play into(a bit like the l'poo game). We have to take our chances tonight I think we need an away goal

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

I also like your train of thought, that's why I'm pretty confident of obtaining a scoring draw, I'm backing 2-2.

If the Spuds can get two goals up there, I'm pretty sure that we can.

So 2-2 it is then...... Down to Paddy Power to view the odds....

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

I actually agree with most of what you’re saying Tony, or at least with the logic behind it. But you’re definitely at least a little bit mental if you’d be happy with 0-0!

An away goal at least is crucial!

NBM

Post by NBM »

I can see the logic here, its like the FA Cup semi, once we went behind we didn't look like getting into it. Wouldn't be too happy about not getting the away goal though as it'd be brown trouser time every time they attacked in the home leg.

augie

Post by augie »

You certainly make valid points TS but like everyone else I would want an away goal here or I would be very very worried about the return leg. Have to admit though that if they come at us with all guns blazing tomorrow night I think we could well be fcuked before the home tie even comes around - now be honest how many of you feel confident about silvestre in our defence ?

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

recent history shows Arsenal vs Mancs as 2-1 to either sides, 1-0 to Arsenal and 2-2 and in every game Arsenal have put out a mix match team due to injuries.
An away goal is vital preferably 2-2 or 2-1 to us.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

A win or a score draw is great but not 0-0.We need an away goal because i cant see Man Utd not scoring at the Grove.0-0 at OT and 1-1 at home and its over

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Firstly, yes Tony you are mental - but that's another issue.

My heart says we need that away goal but my head agrees with you because I think if we go into the second leg 1-0 up then our lot are gonna get complacent, try and sit on that lead and get done 2 or 3 nil by the Filth. :(

I still want an away goal (or 4 :-P ) but I think Tony has nailed it on the head with regard to our players' motivation... :?

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Whilst I think they are valid points for me the key thing is that WE have to go all guns blazing in BOTH matches. In recent years in particular we have showed that we are simply not capable of playing a cagey game or protecting a lead. If United play well going forward then our defence hasn’t got a prayer. So it is all about possession and playing in their half. I said after the Villareal match away that all out attack is our only option in every game left this season and I stand by that comment.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Skooner wrote:Whilst I think they are valid points for me the key thing is that WE have to go all guns blazing in BOTH matches. In recent years in particular we have showed that we are simply not capable of playing a cagey game or protecting a lead. If United play well going forward then our defence hasn’t got a prayer. So it is all about possession and playing in their half. I said after the Villareal match away that all out attack is our only option in every game left this season and I stand by that comment.
With our defensive frailties I'm inclined to agree. I think we can outscore them if we are up for it but no way can we just hold them out and not concede...

REB

Post by REB »

sorry but no, why would anyone think a draw would be better then a win just because you feel they would come at us more in the second leg if we are up :roll:
dont get me wrong here but give me a lead of any margin and i will take that now,just think a 0-0 and utd score first at the grove :roll: 1-1 and utd score first means we then have to attack and leave ourselves too open at the back.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I honestly think we are going to do them home and away!!!!!!!

jamjc64

Post by jamjc64 »

Sorry your clearly MAD
A win is a win not only as your starting with a numerical advantage in the next game, not to mention the away goal thing plus being at home in the 2nd leg. i would be delighted with a 0-1 win
Simples

Alex

Post by Alex »

Would prefer a score draw rather than a 0-0 at OT

I completly understand your points Tony.

If the players give 100% we can't ask for much more. That dosen't just mean effort, that means staying composed whether defending, attacking, being in the lead or losing...despite all the talent in our side, in many of our big CL games over the years too many players in our side have faded much like England sides in big matches. They start playing too deep, hit n hope, out of position etc..

The test is mental. Are they strong enough? we shall see....