Safe standing bid launched in Parliament

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

While I have sympathy for the families of the 96 it fuckin' get on my tits when people bring up Hillsborough as an evidence that standing isn't safe... Hillsborough didn't happen because of standing FFS...

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Chips and Chocolate wrote:While I have sympathy for the families of the 96 it fuckin' get on my tits when people bring up Hillsborough as an evidence that standing isn't safe... Hillsborough didn't happen because of standing FFS...
Especially when we're advocating the introduction of a completely different standing system, designed to be much safer. Certain media outlets are portraying the idea that we want a return to the wide open terraces of the 80s. The BBC for example were running their lead article on the subject last week with a big picture of a huge, uncovered non-League terrace with just the odd crush barrier until someone contacted them & they changed it...

Pilly

Post by Pilly »

Yet again the Krauts are years ahead of us!

Chips and Chocolate

Alright it's all gone a bit quiet on the safe standing front!!!

If you haven't seen it yet someone at the FSF is running a project called "Safe Standing Roadshow" which basically is a demonstration unit of the standing system they'd like to introduce

http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk/request-a-visit

The unit will be shown at Bristol, Reading, Sunderland and Stoke amongst others...
Can anyone with links to the club contact them?

What do you get?
We'll bring the roadshow demonstration unit to you and set it up at your venue (indoors or outdoors). A couple of helping hands woulnd't go amiss at your end, as the unit is not light(!) - although it breaks down into several parts and is fairly mobile. Fully assembled it is approximately 2 metres wide by 1.6 metres deep by 1.5m high (c. 2m high including the demountable rear advertising board). As well as the unit, we'll also bring along some literature and one or two people able to answers most questions on safe standing issues in general and on hi-rail seats in particular.

What do we expect from you?
The whole objective of this roadshow is to spread the word about rail seats. What we ask of you, therefore, is that you arrange at your end to have as many key people lined up to take a look at the unit as possible. These may include:

The club chairman, chief executive, stadium manager and/or safety officer
The local council safety officer
A police representative responsible for the policing of your club's ground
Local MPs
Local councillors
The media
Celebrity fans
Supporters groups
You are free to decide who would like to have us meet. In some cases, for instance if meeting club officials, you may wish not to invite the press. On other occasions, for instance if a local MP or celebrity fan has promised to turn up, a snapshot for the paper or a couple of minutes on regional TV could create ideal exposure for the hi-rail concept. You know your locality and your club best, so it's up to you!

their email address: [email protected]

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Chips and Chocolate wrote:Alright it's all gone a bit quiet on the safe standing front!!!

If you haven't seen it yet someone at the FSF is running a project called "Safe Standing Roadshow" which basically is a demonstration unit of the standing system they'd like to introduce

The unit will be shown at Bristol, Reading, Sunderland and Stoke amongst others...

What do you get?
We'll bring the roadshow demonstration unit to you and set it up at your venue (indoors or outdoors). A couple of helping hands woulnd't go amiss at your end, as the unit is not light(!) - although it breaks down into several parts and is fairly mobile. Fully assembled it is approximately 2 metres wide by 1.6 metres deep by 1.5m high (c. 2m high including the demountable rear advertising board). As well as the unit, we'll also bring along some literature and one or two people able to answers most questions on safe standing issues in general and on hi-rail seats in particular.

The whole objective of this roadshow is to spread the word about rail seats. What we ask of you, therefore, is that you arrange at your end to have as many key people lined up to take a look at the unit as possible. These may include:

Local MPs
Local councillors
The media
Celebrity fans
Supporters groups
You are free to decide who would like to have us meet. In some cases, for instance if meeting club officials, you may wish not to invite the press. On other occasions, for instance if a local MP or celebrity fan has promised to turn up, a snapshot for the paper or a couple of minutes on regional TV could create ideal exposure for the hi-rail concept. You know your locality and your club best, so it's up to you!

Its

Not

Gonna

Happen

Chips and Chocolate

flash gunner wrote:
Chips and Chocolate wrote:Alright it's all gone a bit quiet on the safe standing front!!!

What do you get?

Local MPs
Local councillors
The media
Celebrity fans
Supporters groups

Its

Not

Gonna

Happen
I know it's tilting at windmills... But we might as well give up on everything then!!!

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Chips and Chocolate wrote:
flash gunner wrote:

What do you get?

Local MPs
Local councillors
The media
Celebrity fans
Supporters groups

Its

Not

Gonna

Happen
I know it's tilting at windmills... But we might as well give up on everything then!!!
I have :cry: :wink:

clockendal

Post by clockendal »

flash gunner wrote:

What do you get?

Local MPs
Local councillors
The media
Celebrity fans
Supporters groups

Its

Not

Gonna

Happen
Flash is right it seems...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard- ... n-order.do

Now that he is a Government Minister, Robertson's hedging about the issue of football regulation is in striking contrast with the way he deals with "safe standing". A persistent demand of the Football Supporters' Federation, this came back on the agenda when the Liberal Democrats asked for the matter to be re-examined.

He explains: "I wrote to all the governing bodies in football, to the police and the Football Licensing Authority. Not one came back in favour of what's called safe standing. There is a small group of football fans who want safe standing, good luck to them. But the safety of fans in grounds, for me as a Minister, has to be paramount and when all the advice from the relevant authorities is that we should not go back to safe standing, that is the advice I'll be following. I do not see any sign whatsoever that the safety advice is going to change."

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

clockendal wrote: Now that he is a Government Minister, Robertson's hedging about the issue of football regulation is in striking contrast with the way he deals with "safe standing". A persistent demand of the Football Supporters' Federation, this came back on the agenda when the Liberal Democrats asked for the matter to be re-examined.

He explains: "I wrote to all the governing bodies in football, to the police and the Football Licensing Authority. Not one came back in favour of what's called safe standing. There is a small group of football fans who want safe standing, good luck to them. But the safety of fans in grounds, for me as a Minister, has to be paramount and when all the advice from the relevant authorities is that we should not go back to safe standing, that is the advice I'll be following. I do not see any sign whatsoever that the safety advice is going to change."
Go back? We never had it in the first place! Their stupidity really is beyond words...

Chips and Chocolate

Dan_85 wrote:
clockendal wrote: Now that he is a Government Minister, Robertson's hedging about the issue of football regulation is in striking contrast with the way he deals with "safe standing". A persistent demand of the Football Supporters' Federation, this came back on the agenda when the Liberal Democrats asked for the matter to be re-examined.

Go back? We never had it in the first place! Their stupidity really is beyond words...
Spot on, the majority of people against safe standing (e.g. Kenny Dalglish) haven't got a scooby what it is about...

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Dan_85 wrote:

Spot on, the majority of people against safe standing (e.g. Kenny Dalglish) haven't got a scooby what it is about...
It doesn't help when you've got opinion-forming media outlets running pieces about how we "want a return to terracing" and using pics like this...

But then it's a whole lot more emotive isn't it & helps to sway public opinion against the decision. The use of the word "terracing" conjures up images of football violence, crowd trouble & Hillsborough much more than "safe standing" does, a phrase which by it's very nature doesn't actually sound very dangerous at all!

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

So Flash has given up and cba and the government has done a u turn.

SNAFU.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Chippy wrote:So Flash has given up and cba and the government has done a u turn.

SNAFU.
Fucking liberals with their empty promises :roll: :wink:

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Dan_85 wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:

It doesn't help when you've got opinion-forming media outlets running pieces about how we "want a return to terracing" and using pics like this...

But then it's a whole lot more emotive isn't it & helps to sway public opinion against the decision. The use of the word "terracing" conjures up images of football violence, crowd trouble & Hillsborough much more than "safe standing" does, a phrase which by it's very nature doesn't actually sound very dangerous at all!
Totally agree.
It's all about trying to re-educate people. The when the press and media use the above pictures and use the word 'terrace' it really doesn't help convey the current message.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

you really have to hate the way the media will try to form the publics opinions with their ill informed, biased articles . Really would like an article in the football pages on saturday writing in support of safe standing . I'm sure we could make our point for it without having to bend the facts and manipulate people.