Wardrobe malfunction!!!

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

SWLGooner wrote:I'd say that it's because with the mounting numbers of war dead and the current wars, people are simply more aware of the service and risks that servicemen and women undertake for their countries :?:
Mounting number of wars?

Not involving the BA there isnt. Even around the time of the Iraq war, there was very few wearing the poppy.

Why was that?

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

SWLGooner wrote:And I'd like to know why you think that donating and wearing a poppy does not help soldiers? :?:
how poppy wearing could harm soldiers
'supporting the troops' is and always has been the thin end of a 'support the war' wedge

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country"

donating to the British Legion helps old soldiers - the charity supports those the government has abandoned
thereby freeing up funds for new military escapades

if we campaigned for the govt to truly 'support the troops' FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES as absolutely should be the right for those sent to fight
then the military budget would be hit hard and we would have to pick and choose our wars a bit more carefully

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

I attended a Rememberance Parade in Pencoed last Sunday, it was an honour to be chosen to lay a wreath. What will live with me is the ceremony was attended by all age groups from cubs all the way to ww2 veterans.

Pencoed is a small town and has lost two young men in Afghanistan over the last few years - the mother of one soldier was brave to walk up to the cenotaph and lay a wreath for her son, you could see the raw emotion on her face, she placed her hand over his name bowed her head and walked away.

The least we can do is wear a poppy and never forget.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Wear a poppy don't wear a poppy it's up to you, at least you have the freedom to make the choice.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

also the war was over 60 years ago ffs
nobody knows what kind of society we would be living in now if it had gone a different way