Poll - What's changed? - you decide

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What is the reason for the recent good run of results and performances?

A stable, first choice back four
53%
The departure of Arshavin
5%
Mertesackers absence
7%
Ramseys absence
4%
Arsene Wengers coaching and motivation
3%
Thierry Henrys' loan spell leaving a lasting impression on the team
7%
RVP bedded in as captain now inspiring the team
13%
Fear of not finishing top four
8%

Total votes: 75

armchair

Poll - What's changed? - you decide

Post by armchair »

So what do you think has precipitated the good run of results and probably more importantly performances/
The fighting spirit, dare I say it "mental strength" seems to be there when in previous seasons we have been falling apart come this time of year.

Just to keep it interesting (and probably because there's more than one reason for the upturn) you can pick two of the options. :)

MutleyGooner

Re: Poll - What's changed? - you decide

Post by MutleyGooner »

I think Henry's loan spell certainly helped but I also believe that our change of fortune is a mixture of all of the above.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

All the above contribute, but first choice back four is main thing in my opinion.
It has allowed better conditions for the wide midfielders to push forward, and not have to focus on tracking back so much.

I would also add in:

- Rosicky finding form, usually in his best position.
- The unyoking of The Ox.

LeGinge (Northern Branch)

Post by LeGinge (Northern Branch) »

I think it's a mixture of factors. I voted for RVP and Settled back four but Thierry's impact was, in my opinion, fantastic.

I was with a number of people on here who thought he might score a couple of goals here and there but his impact in the Leeds match(obviously fundamentally pointless as we got knocked out but what a moment for many fans) and the winner at Sunderland (especially) could prove vital.

In terms of pivotal moments, what about Sagna's header against Tottenham? A truly great goal and the response from the team showed that there is some fight in them.

Post by 1989 »

Other (Rosicky's resurgence).

Bedford Gunner

Post by Bedford Gunner »

I agree with Quarz, I think the main factor being a settled back four. It's been a turbulent season to say the least but having recognised full backs certainly adds some stability. It's been exceptional to have the experience of Sagna back in the team.

An added determination seems to have come through in every player. It looks like everyone is a "winnner", this can only be a good thing for Gibbs, Chamberlain, Ramsey, and hopefully the other young players that aren't playing at the moment.

Hopefully the momentum continues.

armchair

Post by armchair »

1989 wrote:Other (Rosicky's resurgence).
For rosicks resurgence I think that Ramseys absence would be the option to choose. :barscarf:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

I don't think having a settled back four have had that huge an impact in our resurgence. We continue to conceed goals, the fact that we have had to come from behind in the last 4 of the 5 games isnt flattering from the defensive point of view. A combination of factors including luck is responsible for our form of late. But the change that has been most apparent in the majority of the 6 games we have won at a stretch (except Liverpool) is that the determination to press and win back posession and to fight till the last minute. The players just seem to care a bit more now.

I think the players have realised that there is a growing sense of discontent among Gooners which have been more apparent this season than previous ones. After being hammered at San Siro and going out of the FA cup, the players must have realised how big a catastrophe finishing outside the top four will be which have made them pull up their socks.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I think as G4L says that there appears to be more determination and a bit more speed in our play. Having Sagna back has helped, plus dangling a new contract in front of rosicky hasn't hurt.

And of course spirit, mental strength and belief :lol:

cardinal2011

Post by cardinal2011 »

Gotta be the return of Sagna. He is the best right back in the Premier League. Is it a coincidence that even Walnut is having a few decent games since Sagna came back from injury?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Nothing has changed!!!! We've hit a bit of good form and im delighted about that but our frailties are just below the surface and might/will return shortly......

augie

Post by augie »

I feel that sagna's return has been absolutey crucial as I dont think there is a better right back defensively in the league :barscarf:

The only other reason, in my opinion, is that the players have started to play with a bit of passion. Not for one second do I believe that wenger has had anything to do with that but is probably more down to the fact that senior players have knocked a few heads together (didnt henry give a half time teamtalk at one game ?). Maybe the post match row between feo and fans at swansea sent a message to the players that the days of them getting a free pass from the fans is over - wenger has always lauded the away fans so to see them turning on the players must have been a shock/wake up call

augie

Post by augie »

flash gunner wrote:Nothing has changed!!!! We've hit a bit of good form and im delighted about that but our frailties are just below the surface and might/will return shortly......

Cant disagree with this either - everybody talks about the comeback against the scum as the turning point but it totally ignores the mauling we took at victims fc in the very next game. Of course the returning spirit in the team was shown up that day in the way we sneaked the win and that was beautiful to watch but if you look at performances against the scousers,the geordies and last night v everton you would have to agree that performance wise we havent improved a whole lot but as long as the results keep coming we will take that for now but it certainly doesnt lessen the need for major change in the summer

arsenalmorris

Post by arsenalmorris »

why can i not vote for all the above

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Not wishing to dampen our enthusiasm but I think we have also had a huge change in luck (not overdue) Where before we were conceding, late goals, dodgy penalties, offside goals and not getting many decisions, We now seem to be benefitting from a change of luck, (Drenthe's "goal last night being an example).
And no doubt this has helped the confidence of the team and has contributed to their much improved performances, it doesn't matter how good you are you need luck in football and at last, this season we finally seem to be getting some. :barscarf: