Pre-match song

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
seb_afc

Pre-match song

Post by seb_afc »

Hello fellow gooners. Please excuse me if this has been posted before (which I have a feeling it probably has) however I am new to the forum. I am a ST holder at The Grove and with every game that passes the one thing that makes my skin crawl (other than seeing Chamakh warm up) is the "wonder of you" song.

I can see how the board have attempted to have a song to get the crowd going much like YNWA at Anfield and although its near impossible to better that, surely we can have a better sounding song than the current woeful one currently played. It has clearly not worked as about 10 per cent of the crowd actually join in, some do not even notice it's being played. So I have a couple of questions which would be great if I could get some answers.

- Why didn't the board consult us or REDaction about this?
- How long will the board persist with this ridiculous song?
- Can we get some sort of movement going to replace a song chosen by US the fans
- Do you you have any suggestions on what should be played? Even the Fatboy Slim song at Highbury was more rousing than what we currently have.

The way I see it, the only way for it to be replaced is for a large majority of gooners to agree on one song and propose a replacement to arsenal.

terry henry

Re: Pre-match song

Post by terry henry »

You aren't alone mate. Everyone I know hates that song. Who decided it should be our 'anthem ' anyway? :banghead:

seb_afc

Post by seb_afc »

As football chants seem to just be the same old tune up and down the country with different words these days, surely it would be fantastic to have something we not only have at home games as the boys walk out, but something we can sing loudly and proudly. Then whenever anyone hears it, whether its at The Grove an away stadium or in the city centre of an away european tie, everyone knows Arsenal FC are here.

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

seb_afc wrote:- Do you you have any suggestions on what should be played? Even the Fatboy Slim song at Highbury was more rousing than what we currently have.
The way I see it, the only way for it to be replaced is for a large majority of gooners to agree on one song and propose a replacement to arsenal.
This has been played just before the players come out since the Everton game and TWOY is now played around 10/15mins before that. I reckon by the start of next season we will prob have seen it disappear completely.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

I always see shitloads of melts singing along & waving their scarves above their heads & it makes me cringe. These are just the kinda fans the club are trying to attract though. Those who will lap up the manufactured atmosphere & spend a shitload in the armoury. I don't really have an issue with kids joining in as such, but when I see blokes older than my dad in their Wilshere shirts, singing along to the fat yank & gurning like idiots when they get their faces on the big screen it makes me die a little inside.

So yes, I hate the pre-match routine at AG. Angry rant over.

Macca

Post by Macca »

Get to my seat 30 seconds before kick off so don't give a f*ck what song they play...but agree Elvis out Fat Boy in.

DUFFMAN

Post by DUFFMAN »

Simple.....

Don't enter the concrete soulless shithole mecano stadium until 3pm.

Haven't had to hear that unaffiliated pile of ***** for 2 years now.
Perfect.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Dan_85 wrote:I always see shitloads of melts singing along & waving their scarves above their heads & it makes me cringe. These are just the kinda fans the club are trying to attract though. Those who will lap up the manufactured atmosphere & spend a shitload in the armoury. I don't really have an issue with kids joining in as such, but when I see blokes older than my dad in their Wilshere shirts, singing along to the fat yank & gurning like idiots when they get their faces on the big screen it makes me die a little inside.

Absolutely. It stops being a football match and looks more like an even more middle-class Last Night of the bloody Proms.

seb_afc

Post by seb_afc »

Dan_85 wrote:I always see shitloads of melts singing along & waving their scarves above their heads & it makes me cringe. These are just the kinda fans the club are trying to attract though. Those who will lap up the manufactured atmosphere & spend a shitload in the armoury. I don't really have an issue with kids joining in as such, but when I see blokes older than my dad in their Wilshere shirts, singing along to the fat yank & gurning like idiots when they get their faces on the big screen it makes me die a little inside.

This post is spot on. Although sadly AG is becoming filled by more and more of these clowns. On a basis of principle, I haven't purchased anything from Arsenal, (although I do confess to purchasing the odd pint!) for a number of years now especially seeing as though I need a mortgage for my season ticket every season.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Have to say (as much as i hate them) that Chelsea song is good and one to get the crowd going. Can't think of the name of it but they change the wording slightly to sing Chelsea. same with Wolves song. So as much as FBS is ok i think we need one with some words so we can change it slightly in the same way as above .

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

the hairs stand up on my neck as the elvis anthem is blasted out of the soundsystem in our big, souless boul before a league match against wigan. I hold my half and half scarf high above me and sing along, swaying as the chorus comes in, and some chinese tourists behind me join in, it feels incredible :barscarf:

"Thats the wonder, the wonder of you" 8) :lol:

YellowRibbon

Post by YellowRibbon »

pleased to see Good Old Arsenal being played now, but as said those fuckin melts dont know the words to it so can see the club saying 'why play a song nobody sings'

while talking about good old arsenal, why is it sung so quick all the time, sllllooooooooww it down

MadRich

Post by MadRich »

Hate the song, sounds like a funeral...

My Fav, We're the Northbank!!

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

even my local team, which you would expect to play some kind of samba or local 'gaucho' music, plays AC/DC before and after matches. i can't really get why we chose the wonder of you. i like elvis, but it has to be one of his most boring songs

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

SPARKSY wrote:Have to say (as much as i hate them) that Chelsea song is good and one to get the crowd going. Can't think of the name of it but they change the wording slightly to sing Chelsea. same with Wolves song. So as much as FBS is ok i think we need one with some words so we can change it slightly in the same way as above .

Its called "Liquidator" Sparksy and is a bit of a ska classic.

We could have" we will rock you" but bastadised to "we are, we are Arsenal" (clap, clap, handraise)