THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 pm
His book should be called The Vagina Monologue.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality sir. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clummo123 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:29 pm
It's the number of titles won that I scream at people when they defend him (still).

Not really that great for 20 years in the job and how many in his last 16 years was it? FFS. Our greatest manager my arse. :lol:
If he'd gone after the 2006 CL final (hell even if he'd gone after the 2008 PL failure) he'd certainly be our greatest manager, but that last decade of continued failure dented his record. Even accounting for the Invincibles, the 2 Doubles, and 7 FA Cups, just 3 titles in 20 years is a bit shit tbh.

I love the success we had in that first 10 years but I can't help wishing he'd fucked off before that last 10 years of shit had begun.

Also a part of me will never forgive him for moving us from beautiful Highbury into that shit soulless corporate Lego bowl of a stadium we currently inhabit. :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

He had nothing to do with us moving but he did actively supported it. He's gone I've moved on and I feel sorry for him now because he is yesterday's man ,and sounds like a Boxer who has been in too many fights,repeating the same old tired cliches that applied back in the glory days but not for 10 years. I bet you he has a scrap book at home listing his triumphs but with a lot of blank pages which will never be filled.
I'm half expecting him to be seen wandering through totteridge with Sancho Panza tilting at windmills.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing the other trophies and certainly not dismissing the football we played but I just think that we should have won more titles in that period. With hindsight maybe we were just unlucky to be up against a great Man Utd setup and Ferguson in his prime.

Wenger's last 10 years almost totally killed my love for the game (other factors involved too) and I don't think I'll be able to move on until he's finally out of the spotlight.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Will this thread reach 3000, i reckon it will

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

He pissed away 10 years of watching Arsenal for me and is the ultimate example of overstaying your welcome. I bet he's a nightmare to get rid of at family get togethers.

On the subject of the bowl, if we had really made a leap in the money leagues then it might have been worth it but nothing I have seen has convinced me that it was. I wonder what could have been achieved if they had really had a good look at redeveloping the north and south parts of Highbury as 50,000 would have done the trick. As I recall the bowl makes more matchday revenue but it wasn't a jaw dropping amount more than Highbury and by the time you strip out lending costs and all the related corporate bollox I wonder what the actual difference is. Of course the directors facilities between the two are off the scale :rubchin:

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Jock. Stop whingeing you miserable git. :D

You wanted bleeding footy success at the new stadium as well ?? :roll: :lol:
How was Lord Wenger supposed to deliver that after singlehandedly designing and building the bowl.

As for the directors facilities.
What is the point of having sheep to fleece if you're not going to make the most of it?
They deserve to be necking Bombay Gin from gold tankards, because they got people to continue paying top dollar to watch shite for the past dozen years. A wonderful scam was achieved, if you ask me.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Ah so Lord Wenger is writing his long awaited book is he?

I remember years ago people who defended him desperately claiming ''we'll have to wait for Wenger to retire before we know exactly what went on behind the scenes''. :yawn:

The inference of course being that Wenger's hands were tied but he was too decent a man and too loyal to the club to reveal this publicly and only when he was no longer at the club would we find out the real truth of what a self-sacrificing hero he was.

The problem is Wenger is a pathological liar and so his book will be full of lies, spin, delusion, self-indulgence and self-promotion. The book will not contain an ounce of truth on the numerous matters where Wenger himself was the one at fault. The depressing thing is, there will be thousands who will believe every word :roll:

herbert

Post by herbert »

I cant wait for the book despite the measly 3 titles in 20yrs according to those who were around in the 30s :lol:
Last 10 years 3 measly fa cups and 99 trips to Wembley
Its hard being a gunner ,where is that violin smilie :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Wenger:

3 titles in 22 years. Average of less than 1 every 7 seasons = 13.64% (nowhere near legend status)

10 trophies from a possible 88 = 11.36% (not a great % for someone with such a big reputation)

14 seasons out of 22 where he finished empty handed. = 63.64% (more a failure than a winner IMO!)

Cup final appearances / cup final wins: 12 / 7 = 58.33% (decent in the end but was less than 50% before those 3 recent FA Cups)

Longest time with no trophy = 8 seasons

Graham:

2 titles in 8 years. Average of 1 every 4 seasons = 25% (most impressive)

6 trophies from a possible 26 (not in a European competition for 6 seasons) = 23.08% (excellent %)

3 seasons out of 8 where he finished empty handed = 37.5% (only just over a third is pretty good)

Cup final appearances / cup final wins: 5 / 4 = 80% (superb, although probably lost the easiest one of the lot to Luton)

Longest time with no trophy = 1 season

For me these quickly thrown together stats prove Graham was better than Wenger! And they also prove Wenger is not good enough to be considered a legend. There are too many failures.

Wenger won more trophies but also had more seasons where he won nothing. Wenger's longevity allows for both of those of course, he had almost 3 times as long as Graham did as manager! More time, more patience, more money and more control.

herbert

Post by herbert »

49 49 undefeated :lol:
7 fa cups :lol:
:barscarf:

hIs fa cup record is more than decent Clash,it is the best ever in the history of the fa cup :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

herbert wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:49 pm
49 49 undefeated :lol:
7 fa cups :lol:
:barscarf:

hIs fa cup record is more than decent Clash,it is the best ever in the history of the fa cup :barscarf:
:lol: :lol:

I really meant the win % in all cup finals was decent. At one point he'd lost more than he'd won which suggests his players lacked motivation.

His FA Cup record sticks in my throat a bit because he had been demeaning the competition for a few years before it saved him but you're right that its the best in history.

Anyway I'll let you read the book Herbert and you can tell us all about it 8) . I won't be spending another penny on that man! :barscarf:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:48 am
clockender1 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 pm
His book should be called The Vagina Monologue.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quality sir. 8)
:barscarf: :barscarf:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Off topic a bit Clash but I love GG as much as I love AW and HC but the biggest legend of the Arsenal is Tom Whittaker :shock:
It is astounding what Arsenal won during his time with the club as physio ,reserve team manager,assistant manager and manager and I read somewhere that the players said the title wins in the 35 and 38 were down to him as he was a players man and not George Allison who was more of a media man and if you add them to the 2 titles he won in 48 and 53 has manager then that would be 4 :barscarf:

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

herbert wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:40 am
I cant wait for the book despite the measly 3 titles in 20yrs according to those who were around in the 30s :lol:
Last 10 years 3 measly fa cups and 99 trips to Wembley
Its hard being a gunner ,where is that violin smilie :lol:
You're a funny man aren't you. :roll:

Counting Wembley trips as success whether it's win or lose sounds exactly the type of thing Wenger himself would say. :lol:

We may have lost to Birmingham etc but we had a great day out. Small club attitude that has no place at The Arsenal.