Arsenal v Montpellier

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Robin_L

Re: Arsenal v Montpellier

Post by Robin_L »

MK Gould wrote:
Robin_L wrote:Would prefer an Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place but as someone rightly pointed out, we're in trouble anyway if we get a Juventus or a Real Madrid, so claiming top spot guarantees nothing as it is. Probably best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece.
So which is it..... Do you want an "Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place".....or "best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece"? I often change my mind, but rarely in the same post 8) :D ?
Lol fair point. Think it's best just to qualify now and get it wrapped up. I know we got done 1-0 and 3-1 in our last two trips to face Olympiakos, can't remember how we did against Panathinaikos going back a few years further back. We're unlikely to win in Greece so it's somewhat pressing that we win against an out-of-form Montpellier :rubchin:

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

We will win this comfortably :barscarf:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

SteveO 35 wrote:
MK Gould wrote:Which I think puts us on a par with a Birmingham or Middlesbrough....
When either of those two win two cups in a single season maybe, until then.......in fact two cups in their history would be a start
exactly...

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Malaga would be ideal, if somebody can sell me a ticket (free translation service provided for the entire evening).

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Robin_L wrote:
MK Gould wrote:
Robin_L wrote:Would prefer an Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place but as someone rightly pointed out, we're in trouble anyway if we get a Juventus or a Real Madrid, so claiming top spot guarantees nothing as it is. Probably best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece.
So which is it..... Do you want an "Olympiacos result in Schalke as it gives us more of a shot at 1st place".....or "best to try and wrap it up now and send the kids on their annual trip to Greece"? I often change my mind, but rarely in the same post 8) :D ?
Lol fair point. Think it's best just to qualify now and get it wrapped up. I know we got done 1-0 and 3-1 in our last two trips to face Olympiakos, can't remember how we did against Panathinaikos going back a few years further back. We're unlikely to win in Greece so it's somewhat pressing that we win against an out-of-form Montpellier :rubchin:
Surely if we win and the other game is a draw that would be the best result, because it would put us ahead in the group and give us a chance of qualifying top, whilst the Greeks would need to beat us by 2 clear goals in the last game to knock us out on the head to head record. If we beat Montpellier by a few then the Greeks might even need to beat us by 3 clear goals if we score out there....

....at least that's how I think it works :D

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Robin_L wrote:
MK Gould wrote:
Surely if we win and the other game is a draw that would be the best result, because it would put us ahead in the group and give us a chance of qualifying top, whilst the Greeks would need to beat us by 2 clear goals in the last game to knock us out on the head to head record. If we beat Montpellier by a few then the Greeks might even need to beat us by 3 clear goals if we score out there....

....at least that's how I think it works :D
Think I'd prefer to seal our place in the next round tomorrow rather than needing any sort of result in Athens. I'm sure there'll be some decent sides finishing 2nd so may not be massive advantage to win the group....

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

All it means at the mo is avoid Barcelona.
With Chelski and Shitty going out its only 1 in 6...

silus

Post by silus »

Can't see us having too many problems tonight. ....a nice, relaxing, easy 3-0....with a couple for Giroud

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

4-0 to The Arsenal.

We won't have seen a French capitulation on this scale since the early days of World War Two! :barscarf:

:lol: :wink:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

We've now got enough Germans in the team that the French should be planning to collaborate even before our plane lands.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:We've now got enough Germans in the team that the French should be planning to collaborate even before our plane lands.

:lol:

piresistible

Post by piresistible »

N1Goon wrote:Cut off Kroenke's/Wengers life support in the CL.. or get knocked out by a top club in the Quarter finals.

Take your pick.

eerrm no Babadundee.
Chelsea and Citeh have both been found wanting in the group stages...though i am not a fan of us simply getting to the next stage to be knocked out i'd rather us be in the competition then not

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

People who don't go, always want to be thought of as equal to those who do

in the spirit of dear departed Baba (and the rumoured fave for the Chelski job)
FACT: nobody who actually follows Arsenal away, wants us knocked out of Europe

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

highburyJD wrote:People who don't go, always want to be thought of as equal to those who do

in the spirit of dear departed Baba (and the rumoured fave for the Chelski job)
FACT: nobody who actually follows Arsenal away, wants us knocked out of Europe
You go away JD :shock: I would never have fucking known it :banghead: :banghead: :wink: :lol:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

What's that? NO seriously,
somebody here doesn't like Wenger
I can't believe it.

Anyway, keep up the good work part timers.
Oh and before you all have hissy fits, thats also a joke.