SUMMER TRANSFERS - Your thoughts on who did and did not sign

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Swifty

Re: Top 2 signings

Post by Swifty »

As I expected, bag everything but very few ideas.

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Chelsea sign Mark Schwarzer after goalkeeper leaves Fulham

Chelsea have signed the goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer on a free transfer to provide competition and cover for the first choice, Petr Cech.

The 40-year-old Australia international was released by Fulham at the end of last season, after the arrival of the Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma, and he has agreed a one-year contract with the Premier League's other west London club.

Chelsea, who have released Ross Turnbull, had attempted to take John Ruddy from Norwich City only to be deterred by his price tag. They had offers of £5m and £6m rejected. Norwich wanted closer to £10m.

Schwarzer offers safe hands and vast experience. He arrived in England in 1996, when he joined Bradford from Kaiserslautern, and he went on to spend 11 years at Middlesbrough before joining Fulham as a free agent in 2008.

He is determined to finish next season at the World Cup finals in Brazil with Australia. "We've just qualified for Brazil and I want to continue to play at the highest level for as long as possible," Schwarzer told Chelsea's website. "Obviously Petr is a fantastic goalkeeper and the No1 goalkeeper at Chelsea but I am here to help push him along, he will hopefully push me along and help the younger keepers at the club as well. I'm very excited about the challenges ahead."

Schwarzer said of joining Chelsea: "It's a phenomenal club. It's one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, and it's an honour to sign for Chelsea. I didn't take much convincing to come here.

"There were other [offers] but once I knew Chelsea was interested it was very much the case that I wanted to try and make it happen."

The Chelsea manager, José Mourinho, is expected to offer Henrique Hilário, last season's third-choice goalkeeper, a new one-year contract. Hilário's old deal has expired but the club remain in negotiations over fresh terms.

Schwarzer's former club Fulham have agreed a new one-year deal with Giorgos Karagounis. The 36-year-old featured 28 times for the club last season after his free transfer from Panathinaikos. The midfielder was initially released by the Cottagers when the retained lists came out on 7 June.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Jago wrote:Georgio Chiellini and Suarez
Not bad....

Herd

Re: SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD

Post by Herd »

We will only Buy if we can sell and right now nobody wants Gevinho/Podolski becasue of the ridiculous price and wages they get , and Bendtner hasn't gone yet either .

By this time Higuain will have got pissed of and the others (rooney/saurez ) are mere decoys . Might be more to Fellani but we shall see.

I'm still shocked we could be thinking of taking Barry when le Coq goes off on loan to the fatherland.

This season is a golden opportunity to do something but I fear we will rummage around in the basement for players
and not do enough to really compete yet again !

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

nobody wants Gevinho/Podolski becasue of the ridiculous price and wages they get

why the fuck would you group Podolski with forehead? he's technically our most gifted and experienced striker...

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
nobody wants Gevinho/Podolski becasue of the ridiculous price and wages they get

why the fuck would you group Podolski with forehead? he's technically our most gifted and experienced striker...
Podolski a striker someone tell Wenger he thinks he's a wide man :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Swifty wrote:As I expected, bag everything but very few ideas.

I think that you will find that most of us felt that the thread had taken on a more light hearted turn after the first few comments and either didnt respond or just sat back and smiled/laughed at the various sarcastic comments :lol:
On a personal note I'm not sure it really matters who we sign - yes it is important that we bring in some top quality so that we may appear ambitious again ( :lol: ) but the bottom line is that these players will still have to fit into wenger's half arsed tactical plan and formation so we will be fcuked anyway :roll: If we were to switch to a 4-4-2 system then I really believe that a top top ball winning DM and a top quality centre forward could turn us into challengers again but imo we presently have too many players that dont suit our current system (and are being played out of position :roll: ) so our "needs" would increase dramatically so that we could play players more suited to the tactical abomnation/shambles currently on offer :evil: :evil: :cussing: :cussing:

p206ab

Post by p206ab »

Gervinho might go on loan to Roma, Bendtner to Frankfurt, this seems just too good to be true :lol:
Flamini back? :lol:

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

donaldo wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Podolski a striker someone tell Wenger he thinks he's a wide man :banghead:
You know he plays the same position for Germany don't you? This isn't just some crazy idea Wenger thought up.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

augie wrote:
Swifty wrote:As I expected, bag everything but very few ideas.

I think that you will find that most of us felt that the thread had taken on a more light hearted turn after the first few comments and either didnt respond or just sat back and smiled/laughed at the various sarcastic comments :lol:
On a personal note I'm not sure it really matters who we sign - yes it is important that we bring in some top quality so that we may appear ambitious again ( :lol: ) but the bottom line is that these players will still have to fit into wenger's half arsed tactical plan and formation so we will be fcuked anyway :roll: If we were to switch to a 4-4-2 system then I really believe that a top top ball winning DM and a top quality centre forward could turn us into challengers again but imo we presently have too many players that dont suit our current system (and are being played out of position :roll: ) so our "needs" would increase dramatically so that we could play players more suited to the tactical abomnation/shambles currently on offer :evil: :evil: :cussing: :cussing:
A breath of fresh air there Augie! Agree 2000% about 442 BUT you do need the right cattle. I'd just been reading post after post saying this is shit that is shit and I thought - from my perspective, don't bag anything unless you are prepared to put your hand up with a solution hence the thread.
In my view if you nail the 2 CBs and the DM you can then play to your hearts delight - we haven't had that security for years. I used to say Wenger only knew how to find attackers but now I suspect it's just that he was on the bleeding edge finding foreign talent and since other teams have caught on he's been found out to be average.
At the pointy end , I cannot stand playing with a target man.

Swifty

Re:

Post by Swifty »

Red Gunner wrote:Chelsea sign Mark Schwarzer after goalkeeper leaves Fulham

Chelsea have signed the goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer on a free transfer to provide competition and cover for the first choice, Petr Cech.

The 40-year-old Australia international was released by Fulham at the end of last season, after the arrival of the Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg from Roma, and he has agreed a one-year contract with the Premier League's other west London club.

Chelsea, who have released Ross Turnbull, had attempted to take John Ruddy from Norwich City only to be deterred by his price tag. They had offers of £5m and £6m rejected. Norwich wanted closer to £10m.

Schwarzer offers safe hands and vast experience. He arrived in England in 1996, when he joined Bradford from Kaiserslautern, and he went on to spend 11 years at Middlesbrough before joining Fulham as a free agent in 2008.

He is determined to finish next season at the World Cup finals in Brazil with Australia. "We've just qualified for Brazil and I want to continue to play at the highest level for as long as possible," Schwarzer told Chelsea's website. "Obviously Petr is a fantastic goalkeeper and the No1 goalkeeper at Chelsea but I am here to help push him along, he will hopefully push me along and help the younger keepers at the club as well. I'm very excited about the challenges ahead."

Schwarzer said of joining Chelsea: "It's a phenomenal club. It's one of the biggest and best clubs in the world, and it's an honour to sign for Chelsea. I didn't take much convincing to come here.

"There were other [offers] but once I knew Chelsea was interested it was very much the case that I wanted to try and make it happen."

The Chelsea manager, José Mourinho, is expected to offer Henrique Hilário, last season's third-choice goalkeeper, a new one-year contract. Hilário's old deal has expired but the club remain in negotiations over fresh terms.

Schwarzer's former club Fulham have agreed a new one-year deal with Giorgos Karagounis. The 36-year-old featured 28 times for the club last season after his free transfer from Panathinaikos. The midfielder was initially released by the Cottagers when the retained lists came out on 7 June.
Nice work Jose.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Villa sold for pocket change and a pie!! WTF!!
Tevez 10m
Give me those two up front and I'm happy.
Aguero available for 30 - stuff Higuain - get that unit.

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

That single reply shows just how far we have fallen during the Wenger wilderness years :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Oh! for the days when TH14,PV4, Pires and Bergkamp would walk onto the pitch and the THRILL knowing - just absolutely "KNOWING" in every fibre of your being that you would DEFINITELY see "Magic" on the pitch that day.

:cry:

:suicide:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Podolski a striker someone tell Wenger he thinks he's a wide man
He did play him up front and he was awful. Much better out wide like with Germany and cutting in deep.

People do get worked up on here, just chill. We'll sign some players. Convinced of it. But maybe, just maybe, signing these players isn't easy as top players aren't easy to get from other clubs. If you want genuine quality in, you have to be prepared to wait a bit while negotiations go on. It isn't as simple as just getting Higuain. He's a top talent, Real obviously wouldn't want him to go. Therefore, takes some time.

And I know people say that every year, but I'm prepared to be patient rather than meltdown.