Toffees losing their badge to a cartoon too...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Toffees losing their badge to a cartoon too...

Post by clockender1 »

its endemic :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-22679092

same ploy as our lot, get a 'fans forum' to approve it before its announced and then impose it....

I am very proud to say that I never ever have or (shall I) wear that McArsenal cartoon. 11 seasons and counting - thats cost them 500quid from me easy.

i do think it must be working, cos as if by magic these have appeared on the 'fashion' pages :

http://arsenaldirect.arsenal.com/icat/retro/

which all EXACTLY undercut each shirt on TOFFS by a fiver. :cussing:

northbank123

Re: Toffees losing their badge to a cartoon too...

Post by northbank123 »

Yeah I saw that story, didn't realise they were changing badges - was it planned?

Although ours is a =n abomination I do fundamentally understand why they tried to rebrand it but who are Everton hoping to entice into buying shirts etc with their new crest?

It seems not different enough to really have any sort of positive commercial impact but sufficiently different to piss the fans off.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

I think many Gunners are shedding a tear for Everton today, who have become another victim of the cartoon fad.

Losing their latin logo, AND the wreaths, for an oversimplified hockey logo is pretty sad.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Barriecuda wrote: Losing their latin logo, AND the wreaths, for an oversimplified hockey logo is pretty sad.
i think its the marketing mens idea that latin, scrolls, leafs etc is old fashioned and particularly English.

and as we know now global 'fans' are more important, most who can't speak english or even write their own names.

clubs like Real, Barca, Juve all have simple 'logos'

all can easily be identified by the likes of Ofemwi Moloko-ubumwe from Liberia and his pals....

whereas this, which identifies a certain small part of London with History, class, tradition and Englishness is a non starter as a global brand :

:banghead:

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

wow...our badge is a classic compared to theirs...and ours is awful!!! :lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

my first though was that hut now looks like a beehive...more suitable for Brentford, Barnet or even Watford...

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Our 1970's /80's simple cannon was an easy identifiable logo that crossed any language barrier. I hate our current crest, I despise it to be more accurate. It looks like it was designed at a Junior Gunners Christmas party, with a token prize for the kid who designed it.

Post by 1989 »

clockender1 wrote:Image
From that to this:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

augie

Post by augie »

Are everton changing their crest for copyright reasons too ? We all know that ours was changed cos the club couldnt copyright the old crest and it prevented the club from grabbing extra income and as money is our god then the old crest had to go :roll: :banghead: :banghead: :cussing:

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Apparently we (Arsenal) are partly to blame :lol: Click the link:

http://www.evertonfc.com/global-brands

Also on another page:
everton.com wrote:The previous version of the Crest - created 13 years ago - was often misrepresented, suffering regularly from the omission of key elements like our name and our year of formation. As technology marches on, those challenges have increased. On television, on websites, on mobile devices, the Crest was far too often badly reproduced.
The site offers no ACTUAL explanation as to why the Latin was removed, only going on about how it will "remain part of the club's ethos".

So basically, the ability to Vector the image and apply it to everything from jerseys to mugs to hats to websites to Twitter etc, is the reason why.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

No doubt Everton have a well paid commercial department that needs to justify its own existence with waffle like this

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

'same ploy as our lot, get a 'fans forum' to approve it before its announced and then impose it....'

Poll Results: New Everton Crest

Voters 2876.

I Like It - 23 0.80%

I Hate It - Everton please reinstate the previous crest 2,853 99.20%

http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threa ... l-Petition

:shock: :?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Unfortunately the forum was most likely made up of a small number of self-interested wankers like the Evertonian version of Tim Payton who would sell their gran if it meant a bit of the limelight rather than an actual fans forum where it would inevitably get panned.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

As I understand it, their crest was redesigned in the nineties, so it's not like they've not experienced it before.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Barriecuda wrote:Apparently we (Arsenal) are partly to blame :lol: Click the link:

http://www.evertonfc.com/global-brands
They are scousers, after all. So someone else was always going to cop the blame.