How should we line up next season?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

How should we line up next season?

Post by 1989 »

The signing of Sanchez will open up plenty of tactical options for us next season. It will be interesting to see what adjustments if any Wenger will make as a result of this acquisition. Many on here think Sanchez shouldn't play up top because of his size but it was only when he played through the middle for Chile, Udinese and Barca that he's looked his best. I understand that many will argue the PL is a different kettle of fish physically but the similarly sized Carlos Tevez didn't do too badly playing on his own upfront for City.

So should we switch to 4-4-2 or continue with the same formation and simply replace Giroud with Alexis? Or maybe go with something totally different and play Özil as a false 9 with Alexis and Walcott either side of him?
Last edited by 1989 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Henry

Re: How should we line up next season?

Post by King Henry »

Wenger will never change formation but I could see Alexis played both up front or as one of the wing forwards depending on the opposition.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

if he plays wide, he plays wide right - where Ox and Feo play ?

the combinations are endless, but this is what i hope for :

Pod-----Feo------Sanchez

----------Ozil-------------

-----DM--------Rambo----

as both Pod and Sanchez track back and Feo can play on the shoulder of the last defender, as JC and Giroud can.

you can swap in Caz for Ozil, Ox for sanchez, feo with sanchez and vice versa. JC for Sanchez.

what this means to me is that no place for Rosicky , unless he swaps in for Pod, or Wilshire, flam or tets unless we DON'T sign the DM we need.

as we know, wilshire or tets on the left behind Caz is a disaster....

in tighter games we might line up with :

-----------Feo-------Sanchez--------
Ozil-----DM--------Rambo----Gnabry/JC/Ox

not to make the most of pace would be stupid, but we might see Giroud and Sanchez up top with Feo on the Bench.

thems me best guesses

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Keeper
Defence
Ramsey New Defensive midfielder
Walcott Ozil New left sided attacker
Sanchez

Put him through the middle and bench Giroud, sure he played more centrally for Udinese and Wenger is not scared of moving players, he is quick enough and strong enough.

I would buy Remy for that left side, Walcott, Remy and Sanchez would make us so pacy and Ozil would excell.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i love this pre season optimisim about how everyone will be fit to play :lol:

we will line up how we always do - anyone who is not injured gets to play

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

Sanchez
Chamberlain Ozil Walcott
(New DM) Ramsey
Gibbs Koscielny Mertesacker Debuchy
Szczesny

Sanchez and Walcott to interchange.

Can you imagine the dynamism of that front 4?

The pace and movement will be breathtaking - Ozil will be spoilt for choice when picking out through balls.

Ramsey making runs from deep and providing the drive from midfield is the cherry on top.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Probably doesn't matter.

There's no co-ordination in the team between defence and attack. If this problem were to be rectified, then maybe. But Wenger hasn't showed over the last 8 years that he is capable or willing of doing this.

:|

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

-------Sanchez-----Giroud---
Ozil--------------------------Cazorla/Ox
-----------Ramsey-–-------------
------------------DM------------

I am not Giroud's biggest fan but I think Sanchez and him could form a good partnership.

Also, Wenger said a month or two back we are looking for someone to play with him and not replace him.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The attacking 4 positions will see some serious rotation. Also reckon we might see more 442 next year with 2 of Giroud/Sanchez/Walcott. Cant see us buying another striker. Think Wenger still has faith in Giroud as a sometime first 11 player.

Another question. How do Diaby and Wilshire fit in. Cants See much game time forthcoming.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Without our full-backs being given carte blanche to go bombing forward in away games especially. Let's not waste Sanchez by playing him out wide and having him spending half of his time babysitting Gibbs/Debuchy.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Very few managers are willing to trade the threat of two strikers for the extra man in midfield.

I think that certain things are a given. Ozil, Santi, Jack, Rambo are central midfielders. I hope Gnabry kicks on next season and stops AW sticking Santi etc out wide.

I'm most excited about the tactical options the signing of Alexis gives us (not that AW does more tan tweak his approach) and I'd like to see us approach playing the 'park the bus at the Grove' type teams differently to when we go to the bridge / manchester etc.

I'm not holding my breath.

Ultimatum94

Post by Ultimatum94 »

Like others have said I'd love to see a variation of formation and tactics when playing against different teams.

It'll be the same 4231 but hopefully in the big games with Alexis upfront on his own but interchanging with ozil, walcott, and whoevers on the left.

We had a small glimpse of this with Walcott against Spurs earlier in the year and it worked a treat bamboozling the spurs defence instead of using Giroud as our focal point

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

this is the Daily Mail's view - and optimistic it is too :

can sanchez play wide left ?

no jack, caz, tets, or Rosicky.

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

Assuming we stick with the 4-5-1 and that no one else comes in aside from Debuchy. I'd suggest...

Szczesny

Debuchy
Gibbs
Mertesacker(c)
Koscielny

Flamini
Ramsey
Cazorla
Walcott
Ozil

Sanchez

Subs: Backup GK, Vermaelen, Monreal, Wilshere, Ox, Podolski, Giroud

Of course, we still need a keeper, another centre back and perhaps another midfielder as well.

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Hmmmmm . Make way for Jackson Martinez or even Joel Campbell. (Given a squad number)

WENGER OUT