The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: The 2015 Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:It's being reported in Spain that Wengee has out if Rodgers for Cheryshev of Real Madrid, €21m apparently.
If theres any truth in this it'd be classic joker Wenger! Last position that needs filling lol
If it's true that he's a left winger, how can you say it's the last position that needs filled?

The left midfield/winger position is one that I think is a real issue if Sanchez gets injured for a lengthy period of time, as who else will play there in his absence? :o

Ozil? - no thanks; I'd rather he stayed central. He's not a wide man!
Wilshere? - again, no thanks.
Cazorla? - no, he's much better centrally.
The Ox? - better on the right.
Walcott? - no chance!
Welbeck? - maybe the best back up option on the left but hardly great.
Rosicky? - lol, never fit
Gibbs? - pfff

I accept we need a striker more, but last position that needs filling? disagree strongly.

In fairness though g88ner, as itchy pointed out above, there are at least 3 other positions where upgrading is far far more important than buying another left winger - a top quality DM are STILL top of the priority list

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:It's being reported in Spain that Wengee has out if Rodgers for Cheryshev of Real Madrid, €21m apparently.
If theres any truth in this it'd be classic joker Wenger! Last position that needs filling lol
If it's true that he's a left winger, how can you say it's the last position that needs filled?

The left midfield/winger position is one that I think is a real issue if Sanchez gets injured for a lengthy period of time, as who else will play there in his absence? :o

Walcott? - no chance!

Gibbs? - pfff

I accept we need a striker more, but last position that needs filling? disagree strongly.
You honestly crack me up at times lol.

Errrm: holding midfield. Coquelin. He isn't Makelele. Please stop this madness, especially after Ramires ran him ragged yesterday.
Centre back: Mertesacker? So long as he's a pillar of the defence, Arsenal have no chance in the PL or CL.
Striker: I mean, where do you even begin?

There were 4 key positions that needed addressing this summer, and almost every pundit and observer agreed: it was the spine of the team. As it has been for 10 years :shock:

Left winger? LMFAO :roll:

Don't forget we have Mr £140k a week who must be able to play any wing on that kinda money :lol:
:D

I completely agree with us needing a striker, DM and centre back more. You're preaching to the converted.

I'm just pointing out the left midfield position isn't as rosy as you're suggesting. If Sanchez gets a serious injury we'll be playing a player out of position on the left. That's not something I'm comfortable with as it's not sustainable for a prolonged period of time.

Just out of interest, who do you think would play on the left if Sanchez gets a serious injury? - perhaps if you give it some thought you might not find it so funny :shock: :lol:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

g88ner wrote:
Ikechukwu1 wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Walcott? - no chance!

Gibbs? - pfff

You honestly crack me up at times lol.

Errrm: holding midfield. Coquelin. He isn't Makelele. Please stop this madness, especially after Ramires ran him ragged yesterday.
Centre back: Mertesacker? So long as he's a pillar of the defence, Arsenal have no chance in the PL or CL.
Striker: I mean, where do you even begin?

There were 4 key positions that needed addressing this summer, and almost every pundit and observer agreed: it was the spine of the team. As it has been for 10 years :shock:

Left winger? LMFAO :roll:

Don't forget we have Mr £140k a week who must be able to play any wing on that kinda money :lol:
:D

I completely agree with us needing a striker, DM and centre back more. You're preaching to the converted.

I'm just pointing out the left midfield position isn't as rosy as you're suggesting. If Sanchez gets a serious injury we'll be playing a player out of position on the left. That's not something I'm comfortable with as it's not sustainable for a prolonged period of time.

Just out of interest, who do you think would play on the left if Sanchez gets a serious injury? - perhaps if you give it some thought you might not find it so funny :shock: :lol:
Ramsey will play ok the left, or Wilshere. It isn't a key position obviously or after Pires left, a proper left mid woulda been signed but he doesn't believe in actual wingers it seems. I repeat, there are several positions that need attention before left mid.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

My opinion only, in my order of priority only, but three key positions need strengthening if we are to win the title this season -

1.) Defensive Midfielder - If Coquelin gets injured we have not knowingly got a player who can do this role adequately. Unless a youngster is a hidden gem?

2.) Centre Back - I think we still need to bite the bullet and buy a top notch player here. We have Koscielny, plus Mertesacker who had a dodgy last season, and a Gabriel who looks OK but not amazing. Chambers still a way off being ready, the other full backs are emergency fill-ins.

3.) Striker - We will get goals, but with a Lewandowski type player we will stand more chance in tight games against our main rivals.
Giroud not bad, Walcott can have his moments and will play midfield often anyway, Welbeck OK now and again, Akpom looks to be off on loan, Sanchez could be great but we will probably never know, Crowley still a way off.

The other positions would be "Nice to strengthen if we can."

Left midfield would top that list, as I think between Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rosicky, Welbeck, Ozil and Cazorla we will cope if Sanchez is not fit. Add Reine-Adelaide to that list for the occasional game too.

But the caveats are:

Welbeck is injured, Rosicky is often injured.

Playing Ozil or Cazorla there moves them from their most effective positions.

Ramsey can play there, but much more effective centrally and even on the right.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Obviously not going to happen but I think we should offer £80 million to Bayern Munich for both Lewandowski and Mártinez. The latter would fill a need in both the centre half and defensive midfield positions.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

QuartzGooner wrote:My opinion only, in my order of priority only, but three key positions need strengthening if we are to win the title this season -

2.) Centre Back - I think we still need to bite the bullet and buy a top notch player here. We have Koscielny, plus Mertesacker who had a dodgy last season, and a Gabriel who looks OK but not amazing. Chambers still a way off being ready, the other full backs are emergency fill-ins.
We should go for Abdennour if Barcelona fail to sign him. He was the best player on the pitch when Monaco visited in February.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I spent all summer waiting for us to sign a striker but if we spunk away a shit load of cash on Benzema I think I'll have a fucking nervous breakdown. Please for the love of Christ stay sell away from him.

S3aninLondon

Post by S3aninLondon »

Rodders, I think you can sleep well there. No way will Wenker do that. Unless it's given to him on a plate, can't see him singing anyone. Remember the only reason we got ozil, was because Madrid wanted to offload him after Bale's arrival and we got Sanchez because of Suarez going to Barca. Cech we got because, he wanted to stay in London and the only other option was the Scum.

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

S3aninLondon wrote:Rodders, I think you can sleep well there. No way will Wenker do that. Unless it's given to him on a plate, can't see him singing anyone. Remember the only reason we got ozil, was because Madrid wanted to offload him after Bale's arrival and we got Sanchez because of Suarez going to Barca. Cech we got because, he wanted to stay in London and the only other option was the Scum.
You do realise that's how transfers usually work. Why would a team like Madrid or Barcelona weaken their squad without having a replacement?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Denis Cheryshev being linked now.

As someone who couldn't give a toss about La Liga, I have no idea about the guy's abilities outside of Football Manager - where I am in the year 2019 and Cheryshev isn't even the best player in an Ipswich side fighting for 16th place in the PL.

Anyone know about the bloke? Is he worth £14.9m?

MrT

Post by MrT »

rodders999 wrote:I spent all summer waiting for us to sign a striker but if we spunk away a shit load of cash on Benzema I think I'll have a fucking nervous breakdown. Please for the love of Christ stay sell away from him.
I'm not seeing the logic here, Rodders. He is far superior to what we have, and with limited options available he is the obvious solution to the striker problem. As an added bonus, he will keep the 2 donkeys we have masquerading as strikers on the bench.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Walcott? - no chance!
Gibbs? - pfff

In fairness though g88ner, as itchy pointed out above, there are at least 3 other positions where upgrading is far far more important than buying another left winger - a top quality DM are STILL top of the priority list

FFS talk about groundhog day....you aint reinventing the wheel this is all obvious and well documented, SO Fucking obvious

At the end of the day you are all pissing in the wind, don't matter a jot what you post, only one man can take any actions

g60gooner

Post by g60gooner »

kiwomya wrote:
S3aninLondon wrote:Rodders, I think you can sleep well there. No way will Wenker do that. Unless it's given to him on a plate, can't see him singing anyone. Remember the only reason we got ozil, was because Madrid wanted to offload him after Bale's arrival and we got Sanchez because of Suarez going to Barca. Cech we got because, he wanted to stay in London and the only other option was the Scum.
You do realise that's how transfers usually work. Why would a team like Madrid or Barcelona weaken their squad without having a replacement?
Just like when we sold Van Persie or Vermaelen, for example, and replaced them with, er .......

augie

Post by augie »

kiwomya wrote:
So I would then ask you why would the scum or the victims sell monkey boy and the cannibal if they didn't have replacements ? You would probably counter that by saying that big clubs like barca and real Madrid will always be able to bully smaller clubs in the transfer market, and this leads me to my next question........why cant/don't we bully other clubs in the transfer windows ? Why don't we aggressively go after marco reus and unsettle him and force Dortmund to sell ? Why do we not aggressively go after either of the bender brothers in Germany ? The same question applies to carvalho or hummels or countless other players because we are a bigger club that their current clubs and should be able to prise quality players from these clubs

Reality is that le cock and our club want and expect quality players to fall into their lap - if it happens then great, but if it doesn't happen then we are left buying the likes of le postman from some shit hole club in france :roll: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MrT wrote:
rodders999 wrote:I spent all summer waiting for us to sign a striker but if we spunk away a shit load of cash on Benzema I think I'll have a fucking nervous breakdown. Please for the love of Christ stay sell away from him.
I'm not seeing the logic here, Rodders. He is far superior to what we have, and with limited options available he is the obvious solution to the striker problem. As an added bonus, he will keep the 2 donkeys we have masquerading as strikers on the bench.
In general, I find it interesting so many posters on here think Benzema is the obvious solution to our striker problem, as if he will sign and just bang in 20+ PL goals in his first season and carry on likewise thereafter. If only it were that easy! Not every player can adapt to the PL. Who'd have thought DiMaria would fail so miserably in the PL? What makes so many people think Benzema is the answer? Based on what?

This perception on here that Benzema is "far superior" to and is a "huge" upgrade on Giroud/Walcott/Welbeck is puzzling. I'm loathe to base any argument on stats ( :wink: ) but TBH looking at Benzema's goals to games ratio over the last 5 seasons, he appears to be of similar calibre to Giroud! :shock:

Is he a better technical player? Maybe. Will he link up play as well as Giroud does? Maybe, but maybe not from what I've seen of him. But then should a striker be linking up play at all? Maybe not. But if he's not, then he needs to be hitting 20-30 goals a season in the PL. Will Benzema do that? I'm not convinced.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a punt on him if the price were right, but he's hardly a huge upgrade on Giroud. :|