Tony Adams Recovering After Undergoing Heart Surgery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Arsenal Till I Die

Tony Adams Recovering After Undergoing Heart Surgery

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... rt-surgery

Former Arsenal and England captain Tony Adams has revealed he underwent life-saving heart surgery to alleviate a severely blocked vein.

Adams enjoyed a 19-year playing career, racking up 669 appearances and winning 10 major trophies with the Gunners before moving into management.

The 49-year-old began his management career with Wycombe Wanderers before spells in charge of Portsmouth and Azerbaijani club Gabala.

Adams, currently Gabala's director of football, says he recently began feeling pain whilst exercising and was quickly recommended to undergo tests in Azerbaijan's capital Baku.

Following the discovery of a blocked vein, Adams immediately underwent surgery and is now recuperating with his family in the United Kingdom.

"After feeling some acute chest pain whilst exercising in Azerbaijan, and liaising with Gabala club doctors, I went to the Medical Plaza Hospital in Baku where I was admitted for an angiogram, and then following diagnosis of a severely blocked vein, an immediate angioplasty," Adams said.

"The brilliant surgeons at the Medical Plaza did a fantastic job - as has been reiterated to me by my cardiologist in the UK.

"I know full well that without the brilliance of Dr Uzeyir Rahimov and his team I would not be alive now: a minor heart operation saved my life.

"I can't begin to thank Tale Heydarov and all at Gabala Football Club, as well as the cardiac unit at the Medical Plaza Baku enough.

"I would just like to say that if you, like me, have a history of heart disease in your family and you feel chest pains, get yourself to the doctor's now."

Arsenal sent a message of support to their former skipper, wishing him well as he begins his recovery.

"Everyone at Arsenal would like to wish the legendary Tony Adams the best of luck as he recovers from heart surgery," the club said via their official Twitter account.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: Tony Adams Recovering After Undergoing Heart Surgery

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Just heard this news. Hope and pray that Tony makes a full recovery.

I loved watching that man play for Arsenal - he had a stronger character than the whole of the current squad put together.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Can you imagine big Tone ducking under balls and turning away like our current crop of 'defenders'?

Absolute legend; glad to hear he's on the mend.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Wish him well.
A gentleman.

This sort of thing is very real.
Last year two people I know felt chest pains and sort of ignored them, thought they were a torn muscle and just carried on.
But their wives nagged them and turned out both were days away from massive heart attacks, both had stents put in.

Another person I know had similar, ignored it but his daughter nagged him to go to hospital.
He reluctantly went.
They told him he had a torn heart artery/vein (I forget which) which was leaking and he was hours from death!
He is fine now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

officepest wrote:Can you imagine big Tone ducking under balls and turning away like our current crop of 'defenders'?

This ^. Threw his body into everything. Legend. 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Mr. Arsenal full stop. That whole back 4 and Seaman were an inspiration to me but Big Tone was an absolute beast of a man and a real leader on the pitch. He'd' put his head where our current lot wouldn't put their baby toe.

Get well soon :barscarf:

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

Get well Big Tone, yeah ironic a great of ours with a big heart for us has had this happen. Soooooo wish we had a proper captain with a passion and heart like Tony. No way would we have been embarassed like last night with someone like him in our side. But AW doesn't get it with the role of a Captain does he? prxxck that he is

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

There have been better players at the club but there will never be another Mr Arsenal.Get well Big Man

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

rodders999 wrote:Mr. Arsenal full stop. That whole back 4 and Seaman were an inspiration to me but Big Tone was an absolute beast of a man and a real leader on the pitch. He'd' put his head where our current lot wouldn't put their baby toe.

Get well soon :barscarf:
:coffeespit:

So many questions mate I really don't know where to start.

:lol: :wink:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

:shock: Only 49 :shock:

Just shows can happen to anyone- chest pain needs checking out especially if it goes into your neck or arm. :D

A real gent as well wasnt he off the field. Did he smoke much?

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

probably started thinking about caprice naked....

get well soon tone :barscarf:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Good luck big man. Along with Wrighty my favourite Arsenal player of all time. :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

officepest wrote:Can you imagine big Tone ducking under balls and turning away like our current crop of 'defenders'?

The truth is mate he's made from different stuff to todays muppets

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

donaldo71 wrote:There have been better players at the club but there will never be another Mr Arsenal.Get well Big Man
Absolutely. Fucking legend.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Good luck to Tone. Arsenal legend