Your choice as manager/Arteta Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Do YOU Want As Next Arsenal Manager

Ancelotti
21%
Tuchel
1%
Allegri
49%
PV4
6%
Enrique
2%
Jardim
5%
Nagelsmann
1%
Rodgers
1%
Arteta
3%
Others
12%

Total votes: 127

Gunner Rob

Re: Who should be our next manager?

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:33 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:28 am
sadly it might not matter if Kroenke is still the owner - the ambition will still be no more than a top 4 finish

But if we had a manager with tactical nous, could motivate and discipline the team, and actually had ambitions to be successful, we could then change our focus our attention on the owner - right now we have a manager that has none of the above and has wasted a ton of money into the bargain :roll:
true...but of course you have also just highlighted why our owner is so reluctant to get rid of Wenger.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I hope it’s notTH14 I reckon it would be a disastrous appointment
My choice would PV4 a winner wherever he has been
All that really matters however is that wenger goes asap, but I can’t see that happening before the end of the season and with a year to run on his contract, the unthinkable could happen ie he sees it out

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

Surprised nobody has mentioned Sarri at Napoli.

Not exactly a spring chicken but he's playing some of the best football in Europe at the moment - possibly a bit eccentric in his habits for our liking mind.

Simeone would be an obvious to try to get. I don't think we have a chance realistically but worth a go.

Allegri I think would be tempted by the job.

I'm not happy about names like Arteta and Henry being banded about. We're The Arsenal, not a managerial school, we should be going for the best of the best and trying to get ourselves back on track.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:08 am
Ant and fucking Dec have got a lot to answer for. It was that pair of twats that brought Dennis Wise back into the public eye and the little fucker has just offered up on SSN the option of Eddie Howe taking over with AW going upstairs in some football role to mentor him :banghead:

You were a fucking horrible little rat as a player please fuck off back into anonymity where you belong.
Well fucking said that man. On all counts. 8)

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

:roll: "He's a very small man"... :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm
:roll: "He's a very small man"... :lol:
The original line was actually "He's a tiny little c.unt" but ITV wouldn't go for it :rubchin:

Having gone for a player swap with manure what chance a manager swap with Everton. Ladies and gentlemen please be upstanding for the Fat One :shock:

Clash

Post by Clash »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 pm
I hope it’s notTH14 I reckon it would be a disastrous appointment
My choice would PV4 a winner wherever he has been
All that really matters however is that wenger goes asap, but I can’t see that happening before the end of the season and with a year to run on his contract, the unthinkable could happen ie he sees it out
Sky do seem to be keen on pushing the Henry thing. Have they realised what a terrible pundit he is and want to get rid of him? Sometimes I find listening to him painful. Im not even sure what he is trying to say at times. Doesnt bode well for a management role. But anyone but Wenger.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Anyone of Allegri Simeone or Ancelotti i would have. Dont even go near Henry Vieira or Arteta. This obsession by some Gooners to get an ex player is bonkers.None of the top 4 teams has an ex player in charge

One question no one is asking though is who will appoint the new manager?.None of our board know jack shit about football. If its down to that weasel Gazidis dont be surprised to see him go for Howe.Someone Kroenke and him can control

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally the list of who could or should be next is getting longer especially if viewed from the "who could do a better job" perspective.

For me I'd love to see Allegri or Simeone in there. But tbh the next manager is on a hiding to nothing. Lose two games on the bounce early on and the AKB will have a spazz attack. Might be best to get someone like Ancelotti in for a season or two to kick some ass sell the chaff and build an initial squad that could form the basis for longer success under Allegri or Simeone or whoever. Ancelotti doesn't hang around but can build quite quick short term success.

PV4 would not be my first choice because of lack of top level experience. And as for his knowing what the club means and die hard loyalty? Let's not forget he actively touted himself out to Madrid and Juve for about 4 years before he left.

Henry and/or Arteta would be a disaster. Simply no experience at the top level.

Rogers? ffs why not go the whole hog and get in Pardew or Lying Phil Brown ffs. :oops:

ffs. :wink:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

I'm not sure why everyone is so against Eddie Howe taking over, the job he has done at Bournemouth is nothing short of remarkable considering where they were and the resources he has had to play with, they are a league 1 club at best with a ground that holds 8000 and he has stabilised them as a Premier League club who trade with the big boys, its an unbelievable job he has done!
He is young, ambitious, smart and has done his time scrapping around learning his trade and often tactically out thinks higher profile managers to get results, we could certainly do worse that's for sure, if he was offered Arsenal he would jump at it, and appreciate it more importantly, it would mean something to him, im not sure the likes of Ancellotti etc give a fuck about the clubs they manage, its just the next job in a long list, is that what we want? I don't!
Just because he has no experience at "the top level" doesn't mean he will be shit, George Graham came from Millwall remember, Mourinho was a number 2 with no managerial experience at all before Porto, Ferguson was at Aberdeen before United, it happens and I think it could with Howe. I would take him, I think he is a good fit.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:56 am
I'm not sure why everyone is so against Eddie Howe taking over, the job he has done at Bournemouth is nothing short of remarkable considering where they were and the resources he has had to play with, they are a league 1 club at best with a ground that holds 8000 and he has stabilised them as a Premier League club who trade with the big boys, its an unbelievable job he has done!
He is young, ambitious, smart and has done his time scrapping around learning his trade and often tactically out thinks higher profile managers to get results, we could certainly do worse that's for sure, if he was offered Arsenal he would jump at it, and appreciate it more importantly, it would mean something to him, im not sure the likes of Ancellotti etc give a fuck about the clubs they manage, its just the next job in a long list, is that what we want? I don't!
Just because he has no experience at "the top level" doesn't mean he will be shit, George Graham came from Millwall remember, Mourinho was a number 2 with no managerial experience at all before Porto, Ferguson was at Aberdeen before United, it happens and I think it could with Howe. I would take him, I think he is a good fit.
I would certainly much rather have Howe than a Arteta or Henry

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

elpelsarmy wrote:

I have nothing against him but think the danger is the club using him as an excuse to retain AW in some role who would interfere and stick his fucking nose in where it isn't wanted. If EH got the job on his own then this place and the media could destroy him if results didn't go his way pretty soon. He could very well be one for the future but I still think we need an experienced pair of hands next to get things moving in the right direction. That's why if we couldn't get an Allegri or Simeone on a proper length contract - diificult - then Ancelotti to do a professional job on a shorter deal might be a way to go.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:24 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:

I have nothing against him but think the danger is the club using him as an excuse to retain AW in some role who would interfere and stick his fucking nose in where it isn't wanted. If EH got the job on his own then this place and the media could destroy him if results didn't go his way pretty soon. He could very well be one for the future but I still think we need an experienced pair of hands next to get things moving in the right direction. That's why if we couldn't get an Allegri or Simeone on a proper length contract - diificult - then Ancelotti to do a professional job on a shorter deal might be a way to go.
Yeah I get the points you make but surely the last thing any manager coming in wants is AW upstairs looming over them? not sure AW would accept that either, he either wants complete control or he will leave so don't see that happening..............hopefully!!
I think Howe would want to be his own man putting his own mark down, there is nothing to say that Ancelotti wont lose a few games and have pressure anyway, that's just part of the job these days unfortunately, lose 2 games and you are in a crisis!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Wenger cannot under any circumstances be above any new manager. Experienced managers like Ancelloti, Allegri, Simeone, etc are not going to take a job where grandad is hovering over them and sticking his nose in....and Eddie Howe, who I think would be a disaster, would take the job under virtually any circumstances and that would be a huge problem and the absolute ideal situation for Wenger. A young impressionable manager in awe of him, so grateful for the opportunity and prepared to do anything in gratitude. Wenger would make sure that the same plodding service continues with the emphasis on making money and the mediocrity would continue. Does anybody think Wenger is going to sit idly by and let a new manager show him up by winning the title in his second year???

As for Eddie Howe, he is a big fish in a tiny pond, with a fan base so grateful for what he has done for them and a season by season "target" to survive and nothing more. At Arsenal the pressure will be like nothing he has ever known and he'll collapse under the weight of it. Being better than 6 or 7 teams out of the other 14 or actually competing with the top teams in the PL and in Europe are two completely different jobs. Just ask David Moyes.

Bunting14

Post by Bunting14 »

Yeah I get the points you make but surely the last thing any manager coming in wants is AW upstairs looming over them? not sure AW would accept that either, he either wants complete control or he will leave so don't see that happening..............hopefully!!
I think Howe would want to be his own man putting his own mark down, there is nothing to say that Ancelotti wont lose a few games and have pressure anyway, that's just part of the job these days unfortunately, lose 2 games and you are in a crisis!
[/quote]

Of course if he stays on upstairs and the new manager leaves for whatever reason, such as loses a game or has enough of interference who better to come to the rescue than Wenger :D