Expectations for Next Season

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: Expectations for Next Season

Post by sk-gtfo »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Umm, city to win it, Liverpool 2nd, manure 3rd, cfc 4th, those *word censored* 5th and us 6th*

*I reserve the right to amend the 6th place prediction dependant on Burnleys transfer window πŸ˜‰
Please stop with this outlandish optimism ffs!.

:roll: :twisted:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Could be another fun season if the daily fail is to be believed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ummer.html

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm
flash gunner wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm
League Champions..... a club like Arsenal should be expecting to challenge for the League every season
wake up will you - the owner has already said that he is not here to win league titles.
getting rid of Wenger is not going to change that.
I thought the title of the thread was my expectations for next season........ I expect to challenge for the title

RobG

Post by RobG »

Expectations are.....A better atmosphere both home and away.......Better defending from the entire team / squad as a whole......A happier post match atmosphere on this Board.....😎😎😎😎

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:39 am
Gunner Rob wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:25 pm
League Champions..... a club like Arsenal should be expecting to challenge for the League every season
wake up will you - the owner has already said that he is not here to win league titles.
getting rid of Wenger is not going to change that.
I thought the title of the thread was my expectations for next season........ I expect to challenge for the title
ok fair enough - might as well be positive in the new era :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

pages for match threads on here to double next season (especially if we win :wink: )

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

sk-gtfo wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 pm
Umm, city to win it, Liverpool 2nd, manure 3rd, cfc 4th, those *word censored* 5th and us 6th*

*I reserve the right to amend the 6th place prediction dependant on Burnleys transfer window πŸ˜‰
Please stop with this outlandish optimism ffs!.

:roll: :twisted:
Coming from you :lol: :twisted: :shock: :roll: :rubchin:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

us to beat the chavs to 4th.

WE'VE GOT OUR ARSENAL BACK will be rung around the half empty stadium :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

clockender1 wrote: ↑
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:03 pm
us to beat the chavs to 4th.

WE'VE GOT OUR ARSENAL BACK will be rung around the half empty stadium :barscarf:
How have we got our Arsenal back?, it's 67% owned by a greedy American who doesn't give a sh*t about winning only making money and 33% owned by an oligarch.

:roll:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

wilko49er wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:18 pm
Could be another fun season if the daily fail is to be believed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ummer.html
You see the mess the c'unt has left our club in, he has had 12 years of trousering over Β£120m in wages...
Well if that is the transfer budget, I look forward to seeing match day income at home... :shock:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

6th place is my expectation

If we get a half decent manager we'll improve with the same squad, but not enough to do better
If we only have Β£50m to spend, we'll be good for 6th unless we appoint someone like Arteta, then we could be 7th or 8th
If we have Β£100m or more to spend AND a decent manager, then 4th is possible.

Forget the title, not in a million years with the owner we have, he didn't buy a football club to win titles you know!! :shock: :banghead:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

All depends on if Arsenal get into Champions League by Europa League back door.

If they make Champions League then possible they have a bit more to spend on players and with a new manager could make top 4. If they don't then I suspect it will be a repeat of this season progressing in the Europa League and one of the domestic cups whilst settling for 6th.

I don't really think the new manager should be judged on next season in terms of results. It will be more interesting to see if any players could break into the first team from the U23s. There are three or four that with the right coaching and guidance should make it. Maitland Niles should improve as well. Could hark back to when Graham took over, spent no money and played Adams, Rocastle, Thomas, Merson, Hayes, Quinn et al who were just breaking into the team. Not all were total successes, but they were the start of something big, There is no way Arsenal will beat City et al via the transfer market, so they have to find another way.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

DB10GOONER wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:42 am

We would be worse under Neill. He was an appallingly shit manager. With that late 70s team we achieved fuck all bar one FA Cup. He drove Brady and Stapleton out of the club - our best 2 players by a country mile. Our attendances under him dropped to circa 20,000. Our football under him in the early 80s was horrible to watch. He hadn't a clue and not one of his ex-players speaks well of him.

Neill did OK to start with and like Graham played a number of younger players (O'Leary, Rix, Brady, Stapleton, Price), but having dragged Arsenal back into the top half and into four cup finals couldn't get Arsenal anywhere near the level of Liverpool, Manchester United, Forest or Ipswich. Brady leaving was the beginning of the end. Biggest mistake was leaving Howe there for another couple of seasons carrying on much as before albeit with some expensive signings (Nicholas, Woodcock, Williams, Anderson, Mariner etc.). Might have persuaded Ferguson to come down from Scotland at that point.

Herd

Post by Herd »

I expect nothing ,and I tend to get it too !

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

**On the field**
Top 4
No longer being push overs and cannon fodder - if we are to lose the other team must work for it
More practical and balanced approach and not massive emphasis on attack
formation change - would like to see Pierre A & Lacazette paired together. (really looking forward to dropping this 4-2-3-1 shit)
Finishing above Spurs (them above us cant be accepted as a long term phenomenon)

**off the field**
Better home ground atmosphere (this will be assured if anyone other than Arteta or Rodgers is appointed)
Better recruitment process - stop collecting attacking midfielders and recognize the value of defensive players
Team culture changes - players held accountable and less favoritism