ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:14 pm
This morning I had a very large poo, I had to flush it several times as it didn't want to go but after three or four flushes and a nudge from the Bog Brush it shifted and I was pleased .
This got me thinking of our own difficult to shift turds ,I haven't heard anything whatsoever and I wonder how proactive we are being in getting rid of Ozil Mustafi,and Miki to mention but three ?

Also can anyone tell me why on earth we would buy a player and lend him back for a year ? It's fine if you have a huge squad brimming over with stars but we need players now so this Saliba deal seems pointless !

Lastly why the fuck are we going in for Kieran Tierney, is the Diaby treatment room under employed ,this man has had injury after injury and thats in Scottish football which is the standard of our league 1 at best ,he'd be fucked if he playeed in the premiership where people expect you to play 50 games a season !

I know theres a long way to go but im not confident at all that those charged with transfers know what the fark they are doing !
That was my worry, playing against teams like Ross County and Motherwell is way different to the EPL
I know he plays for Scotland, but again that aint saying much

As for Pat Bonner saying don't think the Arsenal are big enough club for him, he can fuck off as well

Get players who want to play for the club, even youngsters

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
This morning I had a very large poo, I had to flush it several times as it didn't want to go but after three or four flushes and a nudge from the Bog Brush it shifted and I was pleased .
This got me thinking of our own difficult to shift turds ,I haven't heard anything whatsoever and I wonder how proactive we are being in getting rid of Ozil Mustafi,and Miki to mention but three ?

Also can anyone tell me why on earth we would buy a player and lend him back for a year ? It's fine if you have a huge squad brimming over with stars but we need players now so this Saliba deal seems pointless !

Lastly why the fuck are we going in for Kieran Tierney, is the Diaby treatment room under employed ,this man has had injury after injury and thats in Scottish football which is the standard of our league 1 at best ,he'd be fucked if he playeed in the premiership where people expect you to play 50 games a season !

I know theres a long way to go but im not confident at all that those charged with transfers know what the fark they are doing !

Herd you need to do better research man - last season was an injury hit season and he made 40 appearances in all competitions. The previous seasons he made 55 and 40 appearances in all competitions, and that aint bad going for a player so young.
You want to know why the fcuk we are going after Tierney ………… it's because he is a very good left full right now, and with the potential to be top class in a few years. He is just 22 years old ffs, and he is everything a modern full back should be. I understand why people can be quick to dismiss the Scottish league because it is fairly shit, but that does not mean that there are no good players coming out of there - van dijk is the obvious example I can use, but Wanyama was excellent for a few years, and dembele at lyon is a quality striker

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Herd wrote:

Herd you need to do better research man - last season was an injury hit season and he made 40 appearances in all competitions. The previous seasons he made 55 and 40 appearances in all competitions, and that aint bad going for a player so young.
You want to know why the fcuk we are going after Tierney ………… it's because he is a very good left full right now, and with the potential to be top class in a few years. He is just 22 years old ffs, and he is everything a modern full back should be. I understand why people can be quick to dismiss the Scottish league because it is fairly shit, but that does not mean that there are no good players coming out of there - van dijk is the obvious example I can use, but Wanyama was excellent for a few years, and dembele at lyon is a quality striker
Good points about Van Dijk and Wanyama, but at £15 million which is buttons nowadays, and this youngster being so good, why is there not a queue of clubs in for him, despite Celtic trying to engage other clubs.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:53 pm
Herd wrote:

Good points about Van Dijk and Wanyama, but at £15 million which is buttons nowadays, and this youngster being so good, why is there not a queue of clubs in for him, despite Celtic trying to engage other clubs.

The big clubs (not sure that includes us anymore) are perfectly capable of buying top class left backs or developing them. Tierney isn't in that bracket but he could be and we could be the springboard. But he is a very good player and if you want to take care of the LB position for a good many years without spending big money then he is an excellent choice. Monreal is out of contract and Kolasinac hasn't a friggin clue.....we need a new LB - anybody got any other options as to who we could afford.....assuming we can afford Tierney :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I looked at Wikipedia and it said he's only played 102 times for them since 2015 He was injured in 2016/17 then last year too .
VAn Dijk and Wanyama and Dembele were all imports themselves not a comparison !
I'm not saying he cant play but can he defend ,the premiership is a hard place to play !
PS Have u seen the clubs website ,its still listing all the players who have left on it .
Wish they were as slow as that asking for the season ticket money !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:28 pm
I looked at Wikipedia and it said he's only played 102 times for them since 2015 He was injured in 2016/17 then last year too .
I'm not saying he cant play but can he defend ,the premiership is a hard place to play !
PS Have u seen the clubs website ,its still listing all the players who have left on it .
Thinking about it, when i did see Van Dijk at Celtic, always looked like he was in second gear, hardly breaking sweat
What about Rodgers at Leicester how come he's not in for him, £20 million would probably clinch the deal

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:50 pm
Herd wrote:
Thinking about it, when i did see Van Dijk at Celtic, always looked like he was in second gear, hardly breaking sweat
What about Rodgers at Leicester how come he's not in for him, £20 million would probably clinch the deal

Tbf, chilwell aint no bad full back either - people get hung up on players and what other clubs are in for them, but the reality is that no-one was in for torreira last season and he was a great piece of business. The way I would look at it is similar to the way I look at our own situation - Tierney might well be an upgrade at left full for most teams in the premier league, but a lot of those other teams might be prioritizing other positions in the same way that we are/should be prioritizing our defence over everything else. I honestly feel that the Robertson is the only left full that is better than him in the premier league - chilwell and the kid at citeeh (zinchenko sp :oops: ) are both decent full backs to the point that their clubs could argue that the left back isn't a position of need for them.

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:

Herd, surely a good player is a good player regardless of if he is homegrown or an import ?

I did not know that the likes of ramsey, wellshit etc are still listed on the club website, and no doubt it is embarrassing - it sums up the total ineptitude that runs run through every aspect of our club :roll: :oops: :oops:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:50 pm
Herd wrote:

Tbf, chilwell aint no bad full back either - people get hung up on players and what other clubs are in for them, but the reality is that no-one was in for torreira last season and he was a great piece of business. The way I would look at it is similar to the way I look at our own situation - Tierney might well be an upgrade at left full for most teams in the premier league, but a lot of those other teams might be prioritizing other positions in the same way that we are/should be prioritizing our defence over everything else. I honestly feel that the Robertson is the only left full that is better than him in the premier league - chilwell and the kid at citeeh (zinchenko sp :oops: ) are both decent full backs to the point that their clubs could argue that the left back isn't a position of need for them.
Fair enough, sounds a good prospect, think they will need £20-25 million to get him well worth a punt at that price
Will they loose out by penny pinching?

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Herd wrote:
We just ain’t got a big enough big brush! 💩🧹

herbert

Post by herbert »

Tierney is a good player and 15 to 20 mil for the 22 yr old would be well worth it IMO

Ramsey and Welbeck and all the others are Arsenal players until the 30th June when the contracts end

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The question for me is:

Is Tierney currently better than any of our other current left back options?

The answer is yes.

If the asking price is not ridiculous then it's a no brainer. What level he may or may not achieve is unimportant right now. Forget buying players that might develop into world class or whatever in 5 or 10 years or so. The game has changed. Most modern players won't be at any one club that long.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:47 pm
The question for me is:

Is Tierney currently better than any of our other current left back options?

The answer is yes.

If the asking price is not ridiculous then it's a no brainer. What level he may or may not achieve is unimportant right now. Forget buying players that might develop into world class or whatever in 5 or 10 years or so. The game has changed. Most modern players won't be at any one club that long.

Agree, but the reality of our "self sustaining" business model will require us to sell any player that will turn us a hefty profit, cos buying cheap and selling high will be on new motto - in that regard Tierney will be perfect for us

augie

Post by augie »

Imo weigl is too slow for English football

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... tmund-psg/

The part I like best in that article is where it says

"And the Bundesliga runners-up will reportedly only consider parting ways with their ace if the Gunners are willing to pay £27m for him.
Which is more than double the reported £50m Emery has to spend this summer transfer window
."

I'm no maths genius but I suspect £27m is NOT more than double £50m :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Herd, surely a good player is a good player regardless of if he is homegrown or an import ?
Agreed ,and if he's a good defender then lets get him in, we haven't had a decent left back since Gail Clichy ,my chief concerns is injury but the premier league is a gigantic step up !