Welcome Declan Rice

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Do you want Rice at Arsenal

Poll ended at Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:51 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

Stuart L (2)

Re: Welcome Declan Rice

Post by Stuart L (2) »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:00 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:47 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:00 am

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a slant at DB10 or TH14, we knew they were both great players before they came to us.

But give Declan a bit of credit, a big price tag to his name and he's settled a dream. And proof that £100m doesn't buy you guaranteed ready-made PL quality these days, look at Caicedo. That says a lot about the difference between Chelski and the way our club is run right now.
Yes I think Rice is a good signing but look we are a club that bought Havertz from them.
We have contributed £65 million towards them buying Caicedo - which makes their punt on him a bit less of a gamble.

We got lucky against United - if we keep getting the points then fair enough, but for now we are not title contenders the way we are playing.
We aren't talking about Havertz? It was Rice's intelligence that made him realise he would be a spare man beyond the far post, doesn't matter if that happens in the 30th or 90th minute, you start repaying your big transfer fee when you are a game changer like he is.

With regards to title challengers. Tell me another club who are? Apart from City, we are the closest. Not playing well and picked up 10 points.

Far too early. End of October will be the time to make a clearer judgement.
Let's be honest, and as much as I hate to say this City is in a league of its own. I totally don't agree with the methods they used to get there, but it's up to the rest of the big clubs to catch up. We are at the front of the queue to usurp them.

Going back to Rice, how much is he worth now, in years gone by not having Partey fit for Sunday's game would have been a big problem for us. Declan bossed the game.
It wasn’t just his goal either, I was impressed with him picking the right moment to tackle then biting into it.

Any remember him giving away a foul either ?

Great to have a player happy and capable of winning the ball properly, tackling and spring boarding attacks.

I mentioned before but he joined us late, due to European involvement with the Hammers and deserved some time off, but has settled in remarkably well.

Won’t ever say £105m is a bargain, but we have secured the player we need in that position for years to come.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Fully agree and he did some nice pointing after the goal as well.

Love to see him captain

He's clealry a character as well so you would think can only be good for the dressing room.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:27 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:00 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:47 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:21 pm

Yes I think Rice is a good signing but look we are a club that bought Havertz from them.
We have contributed £65 million towards them buying Caicedo - which makes their punt on him a bit less of a gamble.

We got lucky against United - if we keep getting the points then fair enough, but for now we are not title contenders the way we are playing.
We aren't talking about Havertz? It was Rice's intelligence that made him realise he would be a spare man beyond the far post, doesn't matter if that happens in the 30th or 90th minute, you start repaying your big transfer fee when you are a game changer like he is.

With regards to title challengers. Tell me another club who are? Apart from City, we are the closest. Not playing well and picked up 10 points.

Far too early. End of October will be the time to make a clearer judgement.
Let's be honest, and as much as I hate to say this City is in a league of its own. I totally don't agree with the methods they used to get there, but it's up to the rest of the big clubs to catch up. We are at the front of the queue to usurp them.

Going back to Rice, how much is he worth now, in years gone by not having Partey fit for Sunday's game would have been a big problem for us. Declan bossed the game.
It wasn’t just his goal either, I was impressed with him picking the right moment to tackle then biting into it.

Any remember him giving away a foul either ?

Great to have a player happy and capable of winning the ball properly, tackling and spring boarding attacks.

I mentioned before but he joined us late, due to European involvement with the Hammers and deserved some time off, but has settled in remarkably well.

Won’t ever say £105m is a bargain, but we have secured the player we need in that position for years to come.
Agreed 100%. He also can actually do that 30 to 40 yard diagonal lofted pass out to the opposite wing and land it at the feet of his intended target, rather than do what Lobotomy Clive did 9 times out of 10: either put it into the crowd or drop it ten yards short at the feet of an oppo player.

His positioning against manure was impressive too and reminded me of Arteta in his first two seasons with us (before his legs went). He positions to anticipate the ball or the oppo move, rather than just trying to react to it like Lobotomy and Alex Mong and Legohead Denilson all did in that deeper midfield area.

Nope, not a bargain at 100m and not proven as a world class player that will take us up a level yet, but certainly a very good player that I think will only keep getting better. Exactly what we needed in there. If only Arteta and Edu had added a top striker too.....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 pm

Love to see him captain

He's clealry a character as well so you would think can only be good for the dressing room.
I think he'll be captain within a season or two.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:12 am
the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:22 pm

Love to see him captain

I think he'll be captain within a season or two.
Already Captain in all but name,

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I know it's only been 4 games, but just wondering if this who voted that they didn't want Declan Rice at Arsenal (regardless of the transfer fee) and any other excuses. If you have now had a change of mind?

There were 18 For
and
There were 9 against.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:23 am
I know it's only been 4 games, but just wondering if this who voted that they didn't want Declan Rice at Arsenal (regardless of the transfer fee) and any other excuses. If you have now had a change of mind?

There were 18 For
and
There were 9 against.
I'd hold off on counting those roosters yet mate. How many players have looked decent for their first few games and then either nose dived or not quite delivered what we all thought they might. He's been good to great so far, but with the wet spam mugs he often disappeared for whole games and his performances often went from invisible to average to brilliant in a single game. If he can nail the consistency with us that he lacked at wet spam then you can start asking punters if they have changed their minds. :lol:

Personally I'd make that final decision at the end of the season. Let's see what he delivers over an entire season with the added pressure of now playing at a big club.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Not trying to stir the smelly stuff mate4, I honestly wondered if anyone had changed their pre-game opinion/s. I mean there might even be those who did want us to sign him who may be having second thoughts; I doubt it... But.

On a positive note he does appear to have hit the ground running.... at least so far... unlike some signings... who have yet to settle.

But he does bring; besides his skills a sense of Authority, which we badly need in such a young team.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Sorry Declan!

I thought signing you was a massive mistake! :oops: An Absolute immense player who's making me eat my words! :barscarf:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:23 am
Sorry Declan!

I thought signing you was a massive mistake! :oops: An Absolute immense player who's making me eat my words! :barscarf:
Fair play to you NBG, for the money, it was understandable to have concerns,

I didn’t really watch much of him at West Ham (why would any of us ) he has easily been our most consistent player - already looks like he has been here for years.

Can’t remember (and can’t be arsed to look it up ) if he has been in the premier league team of the season before, I suspect not, but at this rate he would be the first name in it and deservedly so.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:16 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:23 am
Sorry Declan!

Fair play to you NBG, for the money, it was understandable to have concerns,

I didn’t really watch much of him at West Ham (why would any of us ) he has easily been our most consistent player - already looks like he has been here for years.

Can’t remember (and can’t be arsed to look it up ) if he has been in the premier league team of the season before, I suspect not, but at this rate he would be the first name in it and deservedly so.
He was immense again yesterday,he reads the game so well and covers most dangers,he puts himself in the right place at the right times,the initial outlay was a lot but he’s looking the player we expected,he’s the Oirish Gilberto :-P

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For me he has been our best player... with occasional also's by Saliba and perhaps Gabriel. He can be relied upon to always put in a shift and not go hiding; unlike our snowflake Captain.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:20 pm
For me he has been our best player... with occasional also's by Saliba and perhaps Gabriel. He can be relied upon to always put in a shift and not go hiding; unlike our snowflake Captain.
Rice and Saliba not far off world class IMO

Midz

Post by Midz »

Wrighty cracked me up with his comment that we robbed West Ham and should've paid them another £20m.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/11/27/arsenal- ... mosaic_tag
And I’m not being biased or anything, but I was speaking to a couple of West Ham fans recently, and I wind them up all the time.
‘I said, “Do you know something, I feel like we robbed you, I feel like we should give you an extra £20million. I’m going to give you an extra £20million because it’s making me feel guilty that we’ve only got him for £100million!”.
:D :D

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I was given a bit of friendly stick by a few on here because of my 'love-in' for Biggus Deccus before we signed him.......I just thought he was the obvious choice and would be perfect for us, which he is!

The next one is Vlahovic..... His career has gone to shit in Italy and he needs a bit of Arsenal to make him a world star..... Come to us Mr V