Porto pump holes A Champs last 16 Weds 21st Feb KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
falkirk goon

Porto pump holes A Champs last 16 Weds 21st Feb KO 8pm

Post by falkirk goon »

Next up after our bumholing of Boornleh its a trip to Portugal to play this lot.Weve not played them since 2010 :rubchin: I thought it was far more recent than that :rubchin: We've never won over there..2 turdings and a draw :oops: Last time we did play them was the last time we got past the last 16 I think..I'm not 100 percent sure on that and i was on the piss last night so apologies if it's shite :lol: :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Re: Porto pump holes A Champs last 16 Weds 21st Feb KO 8pm

Post by mcdowell42 »

Got to improve when it comes to playing knockout games in Europe, we've a dreadful record in these games,fly through the group stages and then are dross after tht,we should be beating them home and away.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

we will likely score at their ground....i reckon we will go through to the next round

Midz

Post by Midz »

Our record against them

26 Sep 2006 Arsenal v FC Porto W 2-0 UEFA Champions League
06 Dec 2006 FC Porto v Arsenal D 0-0 UEFA Champions League
30 Sep 2008 Arsenal v FC Porto W 4-0 UEFA Champions League
10 Dec 2008 FC Porto v Arsenal L 2-0 UEFA Champions League
17 Feb 2010 FC Porto v Arsenal L 2-1 UEFA Champions League
09 Mar 2010 Arsenal v FC Porto W 5-0 UEFA Champions League

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Midz wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:31 pm
Our record against them

So,we have always won across the home / away matches, can’t see it changing now, as long as we play how we are capable of doing.

Not many teams across Europe that we should fear right now, City obviously have a great squad.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:11 pm
Midz wrote:
Our record against them

So,we have always won across the home / away matches, can’t see it changing now, as long as we play how we are capable of doing.

Not many teams across Europe that we should fear right now, City obviously have a great squad.
Also R. Madrid as they have been there done it too many times. :?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

No Gabriel Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko or Takehiro Tomiyasu in training for Arsenal. ❌

Partey and Vieira both in training

Kingralph

Post by Kingralph »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 pm
No Gabriel Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko or Takehiro Tomiyasu in training for Arsenal. ❌

Never mind. Hopefully they both get injured again very soon.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Kingralph wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:07 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Tbh, with the exception of Tomi (and there's plenty on here that don't rate him either) I'm in no rush to see any of them available for selection.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:13 pm
Kingralph wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Tbh, with the exception of Tomi (and there's plenty on here that don't rate him either) I'm in no rush to see any of them available for selection.
I would say they are a better bet to come on in the closing stages of a Champions league match to see it out than need to blood Walters / Nwaneri / Myles-Skelley cos we have no other option ( Cedric :roll: )

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:33 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I would say they are a better bet to come on in the closing stages of a Champions league match to see it out than need to blood Walters / Nwaneri / Myles-Skelley cos we have no other option ( Cedric :roll: )

I'm worried about the decisions that Arteta will make when these blokes are fit, especially Jesus and Zinchenko. I perfectly understand that we shouldn't be getting carried away with the recent results, even though you can only beat what's in front of you, but what Arteta should definitely be taking from the last couple of games is how much more solid and effective the structure of the team looks by playing a conventional back four and no inverted bollocks.

Every player in the side, including Trossard and Kiwior, has done enough to earn the right to start the next game. Kiwior might well wobble if put under pressure, but we'll see. Unfortunately, I think that Arteta will have Jesus and Zinchenko straight back in the side as soon as they're fit.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Arteta presser (as OBG seems absent) :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T8BXCVIOiU

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Kingralph wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I'm worried about the decisions that Arteta will make when these blokes are fit, especially Jesus and Zinchenko. I perfectly understand that we shouldn't be getting carried away with the recent results, even though you can only beat what's in front of you, but what Arteta should definitely be taking from the last couple of games is how much more solid and effective the structure of the team looks by playing a conventional back four and no inverted bollocks.

Every player in the side, including Trossard and Kiwior, has done enough to earn the right to start the next game. Kiwior might well wobble if put under pressure, but we'll see. Unfortunately, I think that Arteta will have Jesus and Zinchenko straight back in the side as soon as they're fit.
Problem is Arteta is so desperate to be seen as a genius influential game changing manager he thinks in his head that he invented the inverted full back horseshit and will stick with it even while it proves him wrong game after game.

Any coincidence we've looked more solid defensively and more cohesive as a unit since we dropped the inverted cuntology? Can Arteta see that? I agree with you and really doubt it to be honest. He has an ego the size of a whale's cock.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Midz wrote:
Our record against them

I was at that 5-0 win over them in 2010.
Fourteen years ago! Wow unbelievable. I consider that the last season that we properly competed in the competition.
I don't think we have made it out of the last 16 since.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:34 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Kingralph wrote:

Problem is Arteta is so desperate to be seen as a genius influential game changing manager he thinks in his head that he invented the inverted full back horseshit and will stick with it even while it proves him wrong game after game.

Any coincidence we've looked more solid defensively and more cohesive as a unit since we dropped the inverted cuntology? Can Arteta see that? I agree with you and really doubt it to be honest. He has an ego the size of a whale's cock.
We haven’t stopped the inverting, White was doing it from the right hand side v Burnley and I think West ham too, it’s just that he does it in a much more unobtrusive fashion than Zinchencko did, as White realises his limitations, and is there as an option to support Saka and ballon d’or candidate :wink: Odegaard rather than attempt to be the star of the show that Zinchencko tries to be.
I also have not seen White be half way in the opposition half on the wrong side to his position (yet) and then get caught out !