THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: THE Arsenal v Bayern BumBoys 9th/10th April 2024

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:50 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:33 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:55 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:57 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:29 pm
In fairness I'm in a fog most of the time :lol:

:lol: Ain't we all.

I don't know if I've told this story on here before, but in the mid 80s I said to the bird I was with at the time, let's take off to Ireland, I've never been there. So booked a crossing and spent a fortnight driving all over the Republic, saw quite a lot. Got this thick tourist guide book of Irish B&Bs from an Irish tourist office in London and used to arrive in a town, look up a place to stay and call from a phone box....remember them?

Anyway, got to Galway city and booked a place and the lady of the house said that we were very lucky that she had a room, because the races were on and everywhere was banged out...not her words :lol: . I'm not a racing man, so didn't know the races were on, but what a great atmosphere in the centre of town, people everywhere, live music in all the pubs, brilliant. Next morning, while having a great breakfast that all the B&B ladies used to cook....I'd never had home made soda bread before, in fact hadn't even heard of it...the landlady said that we ought to drive out to Clifden because the views from the coast were fantastic, so off we set. As I drove through the barren and windswept countryside, the rain was coming down like stair rods and on one occasion a fucking sheep ran right out in front of us and I had to slam the brakes on. Went past Kylemore Abbey, which I didn't know was Kylemore Abbey until I stopped and looked and when we eventually got to Clfden, which must be 50 or 60 miles from Galway and took a while on those roads, there was thick fucking fog! You could literally barely see your hand in front of your face. We went into a tea shop, had a drink, couldn't see the other side of the road as we looked out the window and decided to turn around and drive back! To this day I've no idea what the views at Clifden are like. :lol:
:lol:

Just be thankful you didn't get raped by the locals! :lol: :wink: :wink:

But yeah, have to admit even as Dub, the West of Oireland is brilliant. Mostly lovely people and beautiful countryside. You should try get over to Donegal if you can mate. Wild unspoiled beaches and mountains. Just stunning over there.

True what you say about the beaches and the wild beauty of the West of Ireland DB. When we were in Killarney we drive to the Dingle peninsula which has the fantastic Inch beach with a backdrop of sand dunes. Locals told us where to go to find the school house that they used in Ryan’s Daughter, which is in the middle of nowhere on a cliff ever overlooking the Atlantic. It was in disrepair, but is apparently a terrible state now.
Anyway, crossed the Shannon into Clare and went to the Cliffs of Moher. Only time I’ve ever seen puffins. Anyway, although it’s almost 40 years ago, I could tell you a lot of story about that couple of weeks in Ireland, but don’t want to bore you all rigid.
Wish you’d thought of that before you posted bloody Judith Chalmers :roll: :blah: :lol:
Don't listen to him Retro, I for one and I'm sure many others would love to hear all about it. :D :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I don't know if I've told this story on here before, but in the mid 80s I said to the bird I was with at the time, let's take off to Ireland, I've never been there. So booked a crossing and spent a fortnight driving all over the Republic, saw quite a lot. Got this thick tourist guide book of Irish B&Bs from an Irish tourist office in London and used to arrive in a town, look up a place to stay and call from a phone box....remember them?

Anyway, got to Galway city and booked a place and the lady of the house said that we were very lucky that she had a room, because the races were on and everywhere was banged out...not her words :lol: . I'm not a racing man, so didn't know the races were on, but what a great atmosphere in the centre of town, people everywhere, live music in all the pubs, brilliant. Next morning, while having a great breakfast that all the B&B ladies used to cook....I'd never had home made soda bread before, in fact hadn't even heard of it...the landlady said that we ought to drive out to Clifden because the views from the coast were fantastic, so off we set. As I drove through the barren and windswept countryside, the rain was coming down like stair rods and on one occasion a fucking sheep ran right out in front of us and I had to slam the brakes on. Went past Kylemore Abbey, which I didn't know was Kylemore Abbey until I stopped and looked and when we eventually got to Clfden, which must be 50 or 60 miles from Galway and took a while on those roads, there was thick fucking fog! You could literally barely see your hand in front of your face. We went into a tea shop, had a drink, couldn't see the other side of the road as we looked out the window and decided to turn around and drive back! To this day I've no idea what the views at Clifden are like. :lol:

But yeah, have to admit even as Dub, the West of Oireland is brilliant. Mostly lovely people and beautiful countryside. You should try get over to Donegal if you can mate. Wild unspoiled beaches and mountains. Just stunning over there.
Agree 1,000% I've only been to the Emerald Isle twice; both times on the West Coast and the Scenery: Beaches, Rolling Hills etc was awesome Started in Galway and went through many small villages (can't recall all the names. :oops: (in my defence it was 46 years ago and I ended up get mashed up most nights, and some afternoons, the Ganja was pretty bloody nice too :D ) , but had the best pint of Guinness I have ever tasted in a small bar that was also the Post Office, great breakfasts as well, ended up in Donegal, that was when I discovered Christy Moore and a few other bands.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:26 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

True what you say about the beaches and the wild beauty of the West of Ireland DB. When we were in Killarney we drive to the Dingle peninsula which has the fantastic Inch beach with a backdrop of sand dunes. Locals told us where to go to find the school house that they used in Ryan’s Daughter, which is in the middle of nowhere on a cliff ever overlooking the Atlantic. It was in disrepair, but is apparently a terrible state now.
Anyway, crossed the Shannon into Clare and went to the Cliffs of Moher. Only time I’ve ever seen puffins. Anyway, although it’s almost 40 years ago, I could tell you a lot of story about that couple of weeks in Ireland, but don’t want to bore you all rigid.
Wish you’d thought of that before you posted bloody Judith Chalmers :roll: :blah: :lol:
Don't listen to him Retro, I for one and I'm sure many others would love to hear all about it. :D :barscarf:

You might regret saying that OBG. :lol:

As for Christy Moore, very good.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Don’t give me all that Stuart, I know you love my travelogs. :lol: :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Looks a busy schedule......

March 31: Man City (A) – 4.30pm
April 3: Luton (H) – 7.30pm
April 6: Brighton (A) – 5.30pm
April 9: Bayern Munich (H) – 8pm
April 14: Aston Villa – 4.30pm (H)
April 17: Bayern Munich (A) – 8pm
April 20: Wolves (A) – 7.30pm
April 23: Chelsea (H) – 8pm
April 28: Tottenham (A) – 2pm*
April 30: Champions League semi-final first-leg**

*Moved to April 27 if Arsenal progress to Champions League semi-final

**If Arsenal progress to Champions League semi-final

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I must admit I try... that's Try (and usually I fail) I try NOT to look too far ahead...

Some of those games look daunting, (again) NOT because I don't think we are Good Enough; as I believe we can beat anyone on our day, but simply because of such an intense and the squeezed time-table (*)... We may struggle with tiredness and if we get any injuries to any of the regular First team players. Having said that I am hoping that with Partey back fit (Yes, I know Rodders for how long!? :? ) But with Partey and Rice in mid-field .. they can free-up Odegaard to work his creative magic (just a pity we don't have an out n out striker huh!? :banghead: )

the Cheaty game is BIG..The result can perhaps be a deciding factor not on the title so much; points wise, but in terms of the teams Confidence.

Well it will be what it shall be.

#COYG :barscarf:

(*) Thanks FA btw... Ceeeeunts...(anyone would think they want Klopp to win the prem etc :roll: :cussing: )

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:26 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

You might regret saying that OBG. :lol:

As for Christy Moore, very good.

I didn't say I was going to read them all! :D :D :D :wink: (Course I will! :-P )

Yeah! his version of "Burning Times" is awesome

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:38 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I’m a big fan of Italy too Retro. - Sorrento , with obligatory trip to Capri :wink: and Pompei and Herculaneum with a walk up Vesuvius 🌋 thrown in for good measure, also Venice, Rome, and Genoa ( after seeing Arsenal v Torino ) back in 94, Sardinia is lovely and Sicily has appealed to me too, but not got around to it yet. So thanks for the suggestions 👍🏻🍻

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:48 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I’m a big fan of Italy too Retro. - Sorrento , with obligatory trip to Capri :wink: and Pompei and Herculaneum with a walk up Vesuvius 🌋 thrown in for good measure, also Venice, Rome, and Genoa ( after seeing Arsenal v Torino ) back in 94, Sardinia is lovely and Sicily has appealed to me too, but not got around to it yet. So thanks for the suggestions 👍🏻🍻

I haven't done the Amalfi Coast thing...Positano, Sorrento etc....but would like to. Haven't been to Pompeii or Herculaneum either, but again, need to do it sometime. Been to Naples a few times, but business related, so haven't done much as a tourist. I can never work out why anyone would have thought it was a good idea to grow a city as big as Naples in the shadow of Vesuvius. You can see the fucking thing quite clearly from the city and it's hardly as though no one knows what can happen when it goes up. It's active and I believe that some experts think it could well erupt sooner rather than later. given the population of Naples, the consequences don't bear thinking about.

Happy to give recommendations about Italy. Although I've seen quite a lot of Puglia, most of my time has been spent north of the Tuscan/Umbrian border, although despite seeing an awful lot of the place, there are still places/areas I haven't seen....Verona, Genoa (I want to do truffle season around Alba), the Cinque Terra, Lakes Garda and Maggiore amongst other places...Trieste supposed to be very nice.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:25 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

I haven't done the Amalfi Coast thing...Positano, Sorrento etc....but would like to. Haven't been to Pompeii or Herculaneum either, but again, need to do it sometime. Been to Naples a few times, but business related, so haven't done much as a tourist. I can never work out why anyone would have thought it was a good idea to grow a city as big as Naples in the shadow of Vesuvius. You can see the fucking thing quite clearly from the city and it's hardly as though no one knows what can happen when it goes up. It's active and I believe that some experts think it could well erupt sooner rather than later. given the population of Naples, the consequences don't bear thinking about.

Happy to give recommendations about Italy. Although I've seen quite a lot of Puglia, most of my time has been spent north of the Tuscan/Umbrian border, although despite seeing an awful lot of the place, there are still places/areas I haven't seen....Verona, Genoa (I want to do truffle season around Alba), the Cinque Terra, Lakes Garda and Maggiore amongst other places...Trieste supposed to be very nice.
Cinque Terra amazing boat trip...well recommended.....Amalfi coast just stunning.....Amalfi town, Positano and Ravello not to be missed....Naples not really a place to dwell in....Florence, Venice and Rome of course are all a must but sad to say Rome has changed over the years...would go as far to say not safe at night for obvious tourists....probably still my favourite city though.....

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:33 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:25 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
Stuart L (2) wrote:

Cinque Terra amazing boat trip...well recommended.....Amalfi coast just stunning.....Amalfi town, Positano and Ravello not to be missed....Naples not really a place to dwell in....Florence, Venice and Rome of course are all a must but sad to say Rome has changed over the years...would go as far to say not safe at night for obvious tourists....probably still my favourite city though.....

Yes Red, would like to do the Cinque Terra and the Amalfi coast. Naples does indeed have a bit of an "edge" to it, but fascinating in it's own way. I haven't been to Rome for some time, but I've heard that it's gone the way of Paris, which is heartbreaking. I loved both cities and probably impossible to say which I preferred.

Venice is of course special, but had trouble getting a cab there...all the roads were flooded. :lol: I have spent an awful lot of time in Florence...must have visited at least 40 times for a few days on each occasion, so am fortunate to know it very well. In fact I'll be there for a few days in a fortnight's time, taking my wife and two grown up daughters, because family getaways have been a thing of the past and I wanted the four of us to do something together. Really looking forward to it. Trouble is, I'll miss the first Bayern game.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Oh well family first :D ....no doubt will be on TV in a local bar....

As for the game think we will do well...home win :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Should any Bumhole fans somehow manage to sneak in, it'll be interesting to see if / what action The Stewards etc take.

I mean let's not forget theseCunts invaded Poland, France, Belgium and Russia. :box: :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:16 pm
Should any Bumhole fans somehow manage to sneak in, it'll be interesting to see if / what action The Stewards etc take.

I mean let's not forget theseCunts invaded Poland, France, Belgium and Russia. :box: :D
Considering all of their fans are banned then any Bayern fans found in any part of the ground should be immediately removed.
and I would expect our fans to do it if the stewards don’t

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bayern who’ve won the Bundesliga every year since Moses was a boy, go and sign the crayon muncher and hammer head Dier and immediately turn into the Bavarian spurs :coffeespit:

We should be looking at putting 3 or 4 past them. They’re shit.