ARSENAL.com gunners greatest players

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Mr FINSBURY PARK GOONER wrote:
khalid_red wrote:I voted for the following:

1. Thierry Henry
2. Robert Pires
3. Patrick Vieira
4. Dennis Bergkamp
5. Cliff Bastin
6. Charlie George
7. Liam Brady
8. David Seaman
9. Freddie Ljungberg
10. Pat Rice
What no Ian Wright??? or Tony Adams????

Its all about opinon anyway
Yeah, I know its all about opinions. Maybe, I just didn't like the press both have given us :? For example, I obviously wasn't around when Cliff Bastin played for us but he was the first legend from the old times that I really knew so I included him for that. Interestingly all the players I included are the ones who I've seen play or the ones that played when I wasn't born yet :lol: Might be a pattern that :o

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Cesc is God wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:1 Henry
2 Wright
3 Adams
4 Vieira
5 Pires
6 McLintock
7 Bergkamp
8 Brady
9 Dixon
10 Winterburn
Only number 7?!? :shock:
Yes. At his best, Bergkamp was the best passer of the ball, especially to put a player "through on goal", that the club has seen. He also scored a lot of goals himself too!
Yet there were too many games when he was really off the pace. I am not just talking about his later years, but there were games when his touch was shocking.

I rated McLintock higher for his sheer heart and tackling nous, Pires I actually would rate higher than Bergkamp. May shock you, but I can hardly ever remember Pires having a bad game, I think he is the most under rated player of the Wenger era.
I hope that Vieira , Adams, Wright and Henry speak for themselves.

goonerak

Post by goonerak »

mrbigmike wrote:WOW...

Michael Thomas, George Armstong, Bob Wilson, and KENNY SANSOM, the most capped player ever for ARSENAL.

Bollock.
I hate to be pedantic but Sansom is now our 3rd most capped player. TH14 & PV4 are above hime now.

mrbigmike

Post by mrbigmike »

goonerak wrote:
mrbigmike wrote:WOW...

Michael Thomas, George Armstong, Bob Wilson, and KENNY SANSOM, the most capped player ever for ARSENAL.

Bollock.
I hate to be pedantic but Sansom is now our 3rd most capped player. TH14 & PV4 are above hime now.

Yeah i know, (english player) and he still curently the most capped full back for england.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Frank McClintock is only number 30!! :shock: :evil: :banghead:

That proves that votes conducted like this are nothing but a sham and result in pure nonsense!! :oops: :roll: :lol: :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

yeah the captain of our first double team and a loyal servant to the club till they sold him is at number 30 :banghead: :banghead:
shame on people who voted for this sham of a poll

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Frank McClintock is only number 30!! :shock: :evil: :banghead:

That proves that votes conducted like this are nothing but a sham and result in pure nonsense!! :oops: :roll: :lol: :wink:
Frank McLintock should be in the top ten He was up there with TA and PV4 as a captain .This poll is becoming a joke :banghead: :banghead:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Indeed, I was suggest that he was an even better captain than either TA or PV. 8) Anyone that is a member of Arsenal.com should write a post condemning the people that voted in such a travisty of a poll. :oops: :roll: :lol: :wink:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Number 29 is..........yes you"ve guessed it Nicholas Anelka!!!!!!!!!

Only Cashley has shit on the club more than Anelka.He only played one and a half seasons. So there we have it players who sweated blood for the club Mc Lintock,Armstrong,Samson come below Anelka.Is it April 1st? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

REB

Post by REB »

it gets worse doesnt it :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
what idiots voted on this shite :roll:

hang your heads in shame arsenal.com voters :eatwords:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I do not think idiots voted in the poll.

Most voters would be under 50

There is a likelehood of voters from overseas, who have been fans since Wenger came to the club.

The poll represents a Top 50 of Peopel who voted in the poll, not a Top 50 of Arsenal players.

mrbigmike

Post by mrbigmike »

Now i being told that

THE SULK.....no loyalty. money grabbing, NICHOLAS ANELKA is better then and a better GOONER than

DOUBLE WINNING CAPTAIN BIG FRANK MCLINTOCK.

A MAN THATS REPRESENTS ARSENAL WITH NOTHING BUT PRIDE AND WEARS THE CLUB ON HIS SLEEVE.

THIS IS A INSULT...........

A BLOODY INSULT

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

QuartzGooner wrote:I do not think idiots voted in the poll...
Really? Have you been paying attention to the list so far? The guy that spent under 2 years at the club was deemed more worthy than big Frank McClintock, the man that lead us to our first double and probably our greatest ever captain!! :shock: :banghead: :banghead: You would have to be an idiot - indeed, an imbecile would be more appropriate - to even contemplate that choice!! :cussing: :censored: :awnker:

QuartzGooner wrote:..Most voters would be under 50 .
So what? Even people under 50 would/should know that McClintock was more of an Arsenal man than Anelka!! :oops: :roll:
QuartzGooner wrote:..The poll represents a Top 50 of People who voted in the poll, not a Top 50 of Arsenal players.
So why have the club billed it as such? Even to the extent that they've made a programme about it that they're showing on Arsenal TV!! :roll: :banghead: :lol: :wink:
Last edited by I Hate Hleb on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

QuartzGooner wrote:There is a likelehood of voters from overseas, who have been fans since Wenger came to the club.
That's what I though as well, probably Far-East fans. I bet any money they are going to include Cashley in it :x Anelka 90 games and McLintock 403 games, with the latter getting 4 more goals.

Anyway, we shouldn't lose our breath on it, it's only a poll. People voting for whoever they can. It's not a proper Arsenal Legends list 8)

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
QuartzGooner wrote:I do not think idiots voted in the poll...
Really? Have you been paying attention to the list so far? The guy that spent under 2 years at the club was deemed more worthy than big Frank McClintock, the man that lead us to our first double and probably our greatest ever captain!! :shock: :banghead: :banghead: You would have to be an idiot - indeed, an imbecile would be more appropriate - to even contemplate that choice!! :cussing: :censored: :awnker:

QuartzGooner wrote:..Most voters would be under 50 .
So what? Even people under 50 would/should know that McClintock was more of an Arsenal man than Anelka!! :oops: :roll:
QuartzGooner wrote:..The poll represents a Top 50 of People who voted in the poll, not a Top 50 of Arsenal players.
So why have the club billed it as such? Even to the extent that they've made a programme about it that they're showing on Arsenal TV!! :roll: :banghead: :lol: :wink:
PLEASE READ MY POST AGAIN MR IHH (I AM USING CAPS HERE AS A HOMAGE TO YOUR OLD WRITING STYLE).

I DO NOT REGARD THOSE WHO VOTED FOR ANELKA AHEAD OF MCLINTOCK AS IDIOTS.
THEY ARE LIKELY YOUNG, POST WENGER FANS WHO SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED BEFORE 1996.

IF THEY ARE, AS I SUSPECT, FROM OVERSEAS, THEN THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THEY DO NOT HAVE GRANDFATHERS, FATHERS, UNCLES ETC WHO WENT TO GAMES AT HIGHBURY FROM THE 1920'S ONWARDS, WHO WOULD COME HOME AND TALK ABOUT HOW GOOD DRAKE/MERCER/RADFORD WERE ETC, UNLIKE MANY OF US ON THIS SITE WHO GREW UP IN ARSENAL FAMILIES AND WENT TO GAMES FROM EARLY CHILDHOOD.

THEY ARE IGNORANT OF HISTORY, WHICH IS AN INCREASING TREND AMONGST THE YOUNG ANYWAY.
WHEN I GREW UP I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WENT BEFORE ME IN TERMS OF MUSIC, CLOTHES, SPORT ETC.

THESE DAYS, EVEN A RECORD WHICH IS TWO YEARS OLD, IS DECLARED "ANCIENT" AMONGST DOWNLOADING CRAZY CYBER KIDS WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN BOUGHT A CD BEFORE, LET ALONE VINYL!