Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:12 pm
He is awful, but no matter how bad it continues to be he will stay in a job until fans are back in stadiums.

Whilst our fans are meek to say the least, imagine the toxic atmosphere with limp-dicked home defeats without scoring against Burnley, Leicester and Villa where we were lucky it was only 3. There would have been 5000+ empty seats and it wouldn’t have disappeared in the news cycle because it was Sunday evening kick off.
There's no doubt that fan unrest caused the previous two managers to go, and he won't be exempt from that once fans are allowed back in. Imagine the howls of derision as Martinelli is left on the bench whilst he brings on useless c.unts like Ceballos chasing a game?

Our fans are tepid, but post pandemic when teams are filling their stadia and we have 40,000 or so booing and generally disgruntled, it must have some impact

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arteta quote post match...

It is what it is,’ he said. ‘It’s the way we play. It’s the way I want to play and we just have to know the risk and the rules we have in certain areas and the type of balls that we have to play.
‘We are talking about [errors] all the time and trying to nullify everything we give to the opponent. If someone makes a mistake because they want to play, I will always support them. If someone is hiding I will not have that.

Better get his head from out of his arse as Bellerin and Willian have been hiding all season

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Has the work experience guy fucked off yet?

herbert

Post by herbert »

Interesting fact of the day

Herbert Chapmans Arsenal lost four 1st division games 7-0

The COBs and the HKBs were at each others throats in the boozers and at work on a Monday morning but thankfully HC was able to turn it around and set the club up to dominate football in the 30s :barscarf:

Now days he would have been run out of Arsenal and back at Huddersfield before you could say patience

THE HUDDERSFIELD :shock:

THE ARSENAL sounds so much better :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Great to see Captain Black get so much support & patience from the supporters! :barscarf:

Just like Unai Emery did, let's face it if the fans were in the stadium Arteta would have already gone! :rubchin:

FUCK OFF ARTETA AND TAKE XHAKA THE FLOATING TURD THAT WON'T FLASH WITH WITH YOU! :box: :cussing: :censored:

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:00 am

The COBs and the HKBs were at each others throats in the boozers and at work on a Monday morning but thankfully HC was able to turn it around and set the club up to dominate football in the 30s :barscarf:

Now days he would have been run out of Arsenal and back at Huddersfield before you could say patience

Herbert Chapman had won a FA cup and two league titles with Huddersfield before coming to Arsenal
Milkel Artea had won what and managed who ?
he's learning at our expense

herbert

Post by herbert »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:47 pm
herbert wrote:

Herbert Chapman had won a FA cup and two league titles with Huddersfield before coming to Arsenal
Yes he did ,Like Arteta he won the fa cup in his fist season with HTFC and led them to the title 2 yrs later but despite that experience it took him 5 yrs to win his first trophy with us

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:43 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
herbert wrote:

Yes he did ,Like Arteta he won the fa cup in his fist season with HTFC and led them to the title 2 yrs later but despite that experience it took him 5 yrs to win his first trophy with us
so you think Areta is better than Chapman ?
and it was right to appoint a novice as a manager ?

herbert

Post by herbert »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:21 pm
herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:43 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
herbert wrote:

so you think Areta is better than Chapman ?
and it was right to appoint a novice as a manager ?
:D He has got someway to go to be better than Chapman

Right? or Wrong? to appoint him we have loads of good history with ex staff becoming manager and he added to that last season so I dont want him out just yet

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta is doing a fantastic job. At this stage last season we were 42points behind Liverpool, now we are only 7 points behind Liverpool, a massive 35point swing in Arteta's favour.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

In all seriousness we are only 1 point better off than last season after 27 games.
The only progress we have made is getting the deadwood out of the club. I was expecting an improvement in performances once Ozil and his cohorts out the club. It has not happened.
The only time we started moving forward is once ESR came in. Then the manager decided to prioritise a player on loan for 4 months rather than a decent player contracted to the club, who came through the academy, halting the progress of the team. That is a very poor decision.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

although I have stated on here that I will continue to support Arteta until the end of the season I am finding it increasingly difficult to see many positives with him.

think it is a bit similar to Lampard at Chelsea - inexperienced manager, but appointed because he used to play for us.
HOWEVER the difference is that at Chelsea there is a ruthless approach which will see a manager sacked if they don't produce results, AND they will always look to bring in the best manager around at the time.

this doesn't happen at Arsenal, and with no crowd yelling abuse this season I am 99% certain that he will be given another year at least to prove he is good enough. a year from now very little might well have changed. (although by then our remaining good players will be looking for escape routes)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Must admit, I’d be tempted to part company with Arteta in the summer.

Finishing mid-table, no trophy and no European football next season would be a really poor return after 18 months at the club.

Despite that, I’m reasonably positive about the direction we’re heading, with a decent core of players (Tierney, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Partey, Gabriel, Mari, Leno, etc) so league position alone isn’t the end of the world for me.

The deal breaker for me is Martinelli. I’d want to understand exactly why he isn’t playing and where he fits into Arteta’s plans. If he doesn’t fit in, I’d move Arteta on quickly. Martinelli could be a world beater and a future £100m profit. Arteta has already tanked the value of Guendouzi; he shouldn’t be allowed to do the same to Martinelli.

I’m still hopeful that Arteta rates Martinelli highly and has huge plans for him. 6 months ago people were losing their shit over the lack of game time Smith-Rowe was getting so hopefully things will change soon for Martinelli too. Hard to be confident of that though.

Rubbish season. Mid-table, no trophy and Martinelli marginalised is enough for me to want a change of manager. I hope things play out differently though!

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

has he gone yet.

he will after a poor scum tear us a new one. o just an easy no passion 2-0.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Definition of self harm:

Since August 2017 in the Premier League

👉 Most Penalties conceded > Arsenal 23
❌ Most Errors Leading to Goals > Arsenal 35
🟥 Most Red Cards > Arsenal 14
(9 under Mikel Arteta)

And in season 2020-21

⚽️ Joint-most own goals > Arsenal 3