Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:27 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:54 pm
The truth about Guendouzi is that he offered Arteta out. That’s why he will never play for Arteta or Arsenal again.
Twitter or Facebook? :lol:
Neither.
Ah must be your mate's Dad's best friend's Uncle who knows the tea lady at the training ground then? . :wink: :lol:
Basically. Yes.
So its bollocks then? :lol: :wink:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Neither.
Actually it was a combo of the two....
Face-itter 8)

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:34 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:45 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:27 pm

Neither.
Ah must be your mate's Dad's best friend's Uncle who knows the tea lady at the training ground then? . :wink: :lol:
Basically. Yes.
So its bollocks then? :lol: :wink:
Not necessarily. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Gooner buddy of mine told me this morning that the latest rumour doing the rounds in social media is that odegaard has decided that he doesnt want to stay with us next season cos he doesnt think we have a unified dressing room, and also that some players are not playing for the manager - not being a big social media guy, I dont know if that rumour is widespread or not

Being honest with you, I dont see how any Gooner would be even slightly confident that he will be with us next season anyway - naturally if madrid want him back and intend using him next season he will go nowhere else and we cant play him for that, but I think that he will attract serious interest from champs league clubs in the summer and will opt to join one of them instead. Again I wouldnt blame the kid if that happened

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:46 am
Gooner buddy of mine told me this morning that the latest rumour doing the rounds in social media is that odegaard has decided that he doesnt want to stay with us next season cos he doesnt think we have a unified dressing room, and also that some players are not playing for the manager - not being a big social media guy, I dont know if that rumour is widespread or not

Being honest with you, I dont see how any Gooner would be even slightly confident that he will be with us next season anyway - naturally if madrid want him back and intend using him next season he will go nowhere else and we cant play him for that, but I think that he will attract serious interest from champs league clubs in the summer and will opt to join one of them instead. Again I wouldnt blame the kid if that happened
Does anyone seriously think we'll sign this lad? I said when we loaned him for only six months that i see these things as a total waste of time. You either get someone who is arsed off to be here who costs us a shed load in wages and contributes fuck all......or you get someone who does so well that either his club want him back or he puts himself in a transfer window to bigger and more ambitious clubs than us. Meanwhile you block the path of one of your own. The lad has done well for us overall - bit in and out of games for my liking, but was superb against West Ham and inspired that comeback......something that was noticed by every other club too, which is precisely why he won't be here next season

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:25 pm
arrgee wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:17 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:50 pm
Graham took three seasons to get rid of the players that let him and the club down, before he had his own team. I'd like to see Graham's stats after 75 games.
I bet Graham’s first 50 games are better than the first 50 of Emery & Arteta by a long way. In his first season, Arsenal were top at Christmas and ended up with 70 points in a 42 game season and winning the League Cup along with getting cheated out of a draw against Watford in the quarter final of the FA Cup. The reaction of the players after that Watford defeat spoke volumes for the attitude of Arsenal at the time. Steve Williams told Graham Taylor where to get off. Today’s snowflakes would swap shirts and jump into their Lamborghinis.
^^

This. I can't believe anyone of sane mind would even attempt to compare the two, but 89's Arteta loving mask slipped a little bit there didn't it !

As you say 70 points from 42 games and we finished 4th which of course in this era would have everyone salivating about qualification for the CL. The first 8 games of the following season, we won 4, drew 2, lost 2 (one of which was Liverpool who won the league). We actually notched up 10 straight wins pre-Xmas. I'd say that's infinitely better than anything this helmet has done
Hahaha oh dear. Don't think I said Arteta's record was better than Graham's. I'm far from an Arteta loving supporter. I believe this squad of players has let 3 managers down.
In Emery's first season we were 3rd with 5 games to play in which we lost 3, drew 1, won 1 against teams we should have beaten, and then that embarrassing EL capitulation. That's falling off a cliff in my book.
To think we started this season top of the league.

augie

Post by augie »

Don't we start every season top of the league ? :rubchin: :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:28 am
From Wenger's Calendar Year Champions 2013, to Arteta's Alphabetical Order and One Game Champions 2020 :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:28 am
Only because AFC Bournemouth were relegated. :lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

They only changed their name because of that , we should change to Aardvark Arsenal and claim our spot back.

augie

Post by augie »

Is he a lying b.astard, or maybe a total bulls.hiter, or maybe just an absolute hypocritical c.unt trying to claim credit for something he was forced into doing :roll:

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news ... revolution

The standout quotes for me are -

"I love to work with young players and give them the opportunity"

Backed into playing smith-rowe when he had no choice. Absolutely shocking treatment of martinelli. Saliba and guendozi practically thrown out of the club as quick as he could. Nelson rarely even makes the bench. No game time at all for ayeez. Thursday night first time balugon even made the bench.

"Young players can only sustain and evolve their level when they are surrounded by the right characters, and by senior people who make them better. They are lucky to have senior players around them who are constantly on them"

straight away I'm thinking of the "senior players" we have, and most of the c.unts shouldnt still be in the club :roll: :banghead:

Re Saka

"It took me a while to figure him out," explains Arteta. "That's why I tried to play him in different positions, to see how he reacted."

A guy who was playing at a high level under the previous manager before you came along and left him out at the end of last season - try looking at the video's of the games before you arrived and you would/should have recognised what the rest of us knew last season :roll:

Re Martinelli

"He needs time. He is so willing and so anxious that it can block his development sometimes as well"

Got rid of ozil cos he wasnt willing to work, and now say's that martinelli's willingness to work is a negative - words escape me :roll:

"There are a few things that have to be better and one of those is to manage when he doesn't play because this is part of your career, this is part of being at a top club and being a young player. You have to know how to suffer when you are on the bench and you are not selected and somebody else is playing. You have to be able to swallow that, all your ego and your anger, all your willingness to play the game, while also living in a different country. That's a big test and he's gone through that as well."

I dont understand wtf the "living in a different country" comment is meant to mean, but basically all the rest of it says that he should sit back carefree when he isnt getting game time and the others ahead of him are playing shit - accepting not playing and not showing a drive and willingness to play, is the key to improvement it seems :?

Re balogun

"In all aspects, he knows that we trust him and that we want to have a future together, He's got the chance; now it's time for him to prove himself. We have to give him the right support, which he will get"

Before last thursday night he had ZERO game time and ZERO appearances on the bench - how exactly is that showing trust in the kid, and how the fcuk does that qualify with giving him THE Chance ?? How the fcuk can he prove himself without getting proper game time ffs ??

The c.unt is clueless

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Please man, do a fucking Keegan and admit you're not up to the fucking job and just piss off. I can't bear any more of this shit

I've been watching us since Terry Neill's days and never have I seen a manager so far out of his depth and so unable to make any impact on the team. Bruce Rioch was a messiah compared to this c.unt

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

After winning two, and drawing one of the three must win games of our season so far, in my book Arteta should be replaced in the summer.
If a top club manager cannot motivate, pick a team and choose the right tactics against two of the poorest teams in the league, played in the same week then unfortunately, he is not a top quality manager.
The win against Slavia Prague was amazing, however, but to follow that with a goal in the the 97th minute to draw a match against a team that will be relegated in the next couple of weeks, AT HOME, is simply not good enough.
Arteta's only saving grace will be to somehow win the Europa League, return to the club to the Champions League and then be given the opportunity to have a full pre-season with this group of players, minus the 5/6 that need to be sold, and the 5 returning from loans to replace them.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

78 games in charge - Won 40, Drew 17, Lost 21

Emery 78 games in charge - Won 43, Drew 16, Lost 19 (I'm sure they got it wrong Rodders as the Watford game wasn't listed within the 19 :wink: )

Wenger's last 78 games in charge - Won 43, Drew 12, Lost 23

If the sole defence for being in the job was winning the FA Cup then in Wenger's last 78 games one of those was the cup final against Chavski and the semi against Citeh was also in there

I don't care what anyone thinks of Emery or Wenger - its irrelevant. You put the records up like that and two managers lost their jobs and the other is safe as houses.

One day I'm going to wake up and Wenger will still be manager :D

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

"Be careful what you wish for"

:lol: