Our inevitable Euro exit in Prague Thurs 15th April KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BFG4

Re: Our inevitable Euro exit in Prague Thurs 15th April KO 8pm

Post by BFG4 »

From what's going around online, the club are planning with Arteta for the summer transfer window so regardless of what happens here, he won't be fucking off anytime soon. It really is a remarkable achievement to be bringing us out of Europe (for the foreseeable future)in his first full season and guaranteeing mid table mediocrity, and all with the comfort of knowing there is zero accountability at the club. I can see us scraping through on Thursday but no chance we win the competition.

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm
From what's going around online, the club are planning with Arteta for the summer transfer window so regardless of what happens here, he won't be fucking off anytime soon. It really is a remarkable achievement to be bringing us out of Europe (for the foreseeable future)in his first full season and guaranteeing mid table mediocrity, and all with the comfort of knowing there is zero accountability at the club. I can see us scraping through on Thursday but no chance we win the competition.

IF he gets us knocked out on Thursday night (and I said already that I think we will win), it will say a lot for the decision makers at the club that they continue to support a manager that will have been knocked out of europe by olympiakos last season, and slavia prague this season - it doesnt get much more embarrassing that that :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:03 pm
BFG4 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:30 pm

IF he gets us knocked out on Thursday night (and I said already that I think we will win), it will say a lot for the decision makers at the club that they continue to support a manager that will have been knocked out of europe by olympiakos last season, and slavia prague this season - it doesnt get much more embarrassing that that :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
^^ Exactly

Much as people might find the Emery comparison's tedious, all this bloke has over him is the FA Cup win. Yes losing the final 4-1 to Chelsea was embarrassing, but a lot less embarassing than losing to the Greek Rochdale, and a team from the Czech league :banghead: Yes, collapsing to 5th when top four looked on all season was embarrassing, but more embarassing than being below Leeds, Aston Villa, Everton and West Ham with a handful of games left?

Still - the club will learn the hard way. If they're planning giving this prick and Edu another £50m+ to spunk up the wall on has beens and never will be's, then more fool them. It'll be a full on relegation battle next season

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I doubt whether Stan Kroenke is too bothered whether we stay in the Europa League or not.
He will be pleased to learn though that the valuation of the club is now £2.8 billion (up from £2 billion).

Anyway I am sure we will get invited into the new European Champions league soon on the basis of being the 8th richest club in the world and our previous Champions League record.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:13 pm
I doubt whether Stan Kroenke is too bothered whether we stay in the Europa League or not.
He will be pleased to learn though that the valuation of the club is now £2.8 billion (up from £2 billion).

Anyway I am sure we will get invited into the new European Champions league soon on the basis of being the 8th richest club in the world and our previous Champions League record.
Not only that but our European coefficient is still remarkably high :shock:

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations ... /#/yr/2021

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:28 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

Not only that but our European coefficient is still remarkably high :shock:

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations ... /#/yr/2021
It has seemingly done us a favour being in the EL playing the Dog and Duck, Three Feathers and Red Lion in the group stages. If you think about it in the past 4 seasons we've been SF, Final, R32, and now QF in this thing. How that isn't discounted I don't know because I reckon every team in the PL would have taken 18 points from the group we were in this year

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Chance for the young players to do something if they are selected. Let's hope so. Not expecting a win but would love to be proved wrong. :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Saka and Smith-Rowe both fit apparently. He has to start both and take the game to the oppo.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:

yeah be nice to get caned by Bayern 10-2 again...looking forward to that

augie

Post by augie »

I will watch most of this game (will miss middle section due to work) and will watch it hoping we win and hoping we lose - I know we all suspect that even losing tonight wont see arteta sacked or resign, but I would like to put it to the test anyway cos am desperate to see him gone. I think that as stupid as our power brokers and owners are at times, they gotta know that the fans will be back in the stadium shortly, and there is no way that it will be a happy fanbase returning, so the pressure will be on straight away if we out of europe by then

That being said, I fully expect a convincing 3-1 victory tonight with goals coming from laca, auba and odegaard. I suspect that we will score midway through the first half and they will collapse knowing that they now need to score

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:32 am
Arteta is clueless

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... league-tie

Look at this quote from the article. Corporate speak bullshit. I said from day one that this bloke is Wenger Mkll and this is exactly the sort of claptrap that he used to come out with. I've always felt that Wenger is advising Arteta behind the scenes.

"The only tangible thing is results. Whether you're doing a good job or not, to judge it externally is only going to be judged with results.

"Internally, you know what you are doing and you can have many different ways of judging that, but, at the end of the day, externally results are the only important thing to give the perception that we are moving forward in the right direction."

Forget the internal judgements Mikel old son, because you're right, we'll judge you by what goes on on the pitch.

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm
augie wrote:
Arteta is clueless

Look at this quote from the article. Corporate speak bullshit. I said from day one that this bloke is Wenger Mkll and this is exactly the sort of claptrap that he used to come out with. I've always felt that Wenger is advising Arteta behind the scenes.

"The only tangible thing is results. Whether you're doing a good job or not, to judge it externally is only going to be judged with results.

"Internally, you know what you are doing and you can have many different ways of judging that, but, at the end of the day, externally results are the only important thing to give the perception that we are moving forward in the right direction."

Forget the internal judgements Mikel old son, because you're right, we'll judge you by what goes on on the pitch.

This is the quote that stands out the most to me

"Now we have to find different ways and the good thing with Granit is that he can play in two or three different positions.
I can see him still playing as a centre-back when it's needed because of his discipline, his commitment and his qualities"

If ever there was a comment that sums up his ineptitude it is that one :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm
augie wrote:
Arteta is clueless

This is the quote that stands out the most to me

"Now we have to find different ways and the good thing with Granit is that he can play in two or three different positions.
I can see him still playing as a centre-back when it's needed because of his discipline, his commitment and his qualities"

If ever there was a comment that sums up his ineptitude it is that one :roll: :banghead: :banghead:
Jesus fuck me sideways in the gaping arsehole of life Christ. :shock:

How... what... I mean.... how... what the fucking flying fuck is Martinez-Lite smoking? :shock:

The singularly most inept, limited, useless vagina to ever disgrace our famous Jersey and this gobshite thinks he's Vieira! :oops:

He's gonna make the pygmy cùnt captain again isn't he? :|

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

what a fuckin embarrsement we have become from being regular 1/4 finalist in the european cup to scrapping it out against some two bob eastern european no hopers who we used to swat aside without a care a decade or more ago.

until we have a manager with any balls and experienced we are fooked.