other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
John F
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by John F »

I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .

User avatar
goonersid
Posts: 8309
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 am
Location: DERRY CITY

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by goonersid »

I'll be having a few bets, won't watch many games.
My tip of the week, Ingerland not to make it out of the group stage 16/1!
I think this is the weakest team they've had in a tournament in years!
I'll be in Swindon next Fri when they play Scotchland visiting some old Ingerlish mates from my days working there in the 80s! So I will need to be on my best behaviour :wink:

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6914
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am
I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .
Yeah annoys me too that people who know nothing come across as knowledgable ……

Put your money on Brazil mate, they are a sure fire thing. :barscarf:

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 19009
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm
I'll be having a few bets, won't watch many games.
My tip of the week, Ingerland not to make it out of the group stage 16/1!
I think this is the weakest team they've had in a tournament in years!
I'll be in Swindon next Fri when they play Scotchland visiting some old Ingerlish mates from my days working there in the 80s! So I will need to be on my best behaviour :wink:
I'd be inclined to agree. Much as though there are undoubtedly good youngsters like Foden, when Jordan Pickford is your number 1 and you've got a ragbag collection of centre halves I can't see them doing anything much

I think the 3rd place spot coming into play probably means England will get through the group, but Croatia will be a good value bet to beat them and Scotland will play their hearts out and make it a very tough game.

User avatar
Midz
Posts: 3079
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Midz »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm
John F wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am
I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .
Yeah annoys me too that people who know nothing come across as knowledgable ……

Put your money on Brazil mate, they are a sure fire thing. :barscarf:
:D :D

Gunner Rob
Posts: 6853
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:02 pm
I'll be having a few bets, won't watch many games.
My tip of the week, Ingerland not to make it out of the group stage 16/1!
I think this is the weakest team they've had in a tournament in years!
I'll be in Swindon next Fri when they play Scotchland visiting some old Ingerlish mates from my days working there in the 80s! So I will need to be on my best behaviour :wink:
You honestly think that is a good bet??
To get through you need 1 win, and England are playing all their games at home!

England will do well, not because they have a good team but because none of the other teams are that good either.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 19009
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by SteveO 35 »

Watching Italy v Turkey reminded me of watching us at home to the Mickeys in that 0-3 reverse, that could have been 0-10

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 5026
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:18 am
Watching Italy v Turkey reminded me of watching us at home to the Mickeys in that 0-3 reverse, that could have been 0-10
Oh come on the Turks weren't THAT bad :wink:

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6914
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by StuartL »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:18 am
Watching Italy v Turkey reminded me of watching us at home to the Mickeys in that 0-3 reverse, that could have been 0-10
I’m watched it too - mainly as I was “babysitting”

Not having watched any international football for years I was intrigued to see that Italy didn’t fuck about with it at the back or play unnecessary back passes to their goalkeeper (1st back pass was in 23rd minute) to put themselves under pressure.
They didn’t overplay it, with slow, tepid, sideways football, they often played a few passes then played a 30 / 40 yard pass to runners up top, bypassing midfield if required to….which worked very well..

I don’t watch much football, I have to force myself to watch our games, but are we the only team that plays the possession is everything way ?

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3775
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by Nos89 »

Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm
StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm
John F wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am
I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .
Yeah annoys me too that people who know nothing come across as knowledgable ……

Put your money on Brazil mate, they are a sure fire thing. :barscarf:
:D :D

With the Copa America on at the same time, it's easy to get confused between the two competitions :D

John F
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by John F »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:23 am
Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm
StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm
John F wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am
I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .
Yeah annoys me too that people who know nothing come across as knowledgable ……

Put your money on Brazil mate, they are a sure fire thing. :barscarf:
:D :D

With the Copa America on at the same time, it's easy to get confused between the two competitions :D
I am backing France to win that. :D

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6914
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:44 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:23 am
Midz wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:50 pm
StuartL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:27 pm
John F wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am
I don't mind watching the Euros especially from a betting perspective.What really annoys me is people who know nothing about football suddenly becoming passionate football fans.There is nothing more painful then having conversations with people(my inlaws) who through some media inspired false patriotism suddenly become really interested and think they are experts on the game :banghead: Thank fuck they haven't taken an interest in the cricket.
My outside tip to do well is Italy .
Yeah annoys me too that people who know nothing come across as knowledgable ……

Put your money on Brazil mate, they are a sure fire thing. :barscarf:
:D :D

With the Copa America on at the same time, it's easy to get confused between the two competitions :D
I am backing France to win that. :D
:lol:

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 5026
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Erikson? Currently being given CPR on the pitch, it does not look good

User avatar
TeeCee
Posts: 6894
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: SW France

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by TeeCee »

Jesus, I fear the worst, went out like a light with eyes wide open. Trying to resuscitate for over 5 mins. Shocking, heart goes out to his family….also his teammates.

User avatar
TeeCee
Posts: 6894
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:26 pm
Location: SW France

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by TeeCee »

They’ve been using a defibrillator on him, after 10 mins or so it’s really not good….

Post Reply