Man City are a pain

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

Man City are a pain

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I'm not too hopeful of much happening for us in the January window. One bit of business that I thought might happen though was us signing Upson back from the shammers. AW is known to be quite keen on him these days as he has left his 'english footballers disease' in the past. West Ham need to sell a few and I really though we might be in with a chance.

Today I read (I know it's only a newspaper so could be bollocks) that Man City are going for him in January. That's us fucked then. We cannot compete with them (or anyone else for that matter). I think they might become as despised as the Chavs before much longer.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

I guess that as with most things it's just the coming together of many factors such as Upson's upturn :oops: in fortunes, Man City's huge wealth (and the lesser financial power of others) and West Ham's perilous :D state.

Man City, I think, are going to fuck me off in the very near future and with Hughes as manager it's pretty much guaranteed

:cry: :banghead: :x

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I really hoped the Upson story was true but I really as he is without doubt one of the best centre halfs in the laegue now he is injury free.

I actually think that if we wanted him seriously we would still have a chance. I can see a lot of forigen players joining City as they will want the big fact payday and they are used to what is bound to hapen there.......manager after manager coming in and out the door.

The club will end up like Real Madrid and you cannot hoestly believe the Arabs want Hughes in charge. They will want a high profile show pony at the helm.

English players will see the bigger picture I think and as shit as we are now playing for Arsenal is now and will continue to be bigger than playing for any City side.

8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I honestly don't think the Man City "explosion" will ever really happen, their northern(it's grim up north) location and being on the doorstep of probably the biggest club in the world will ultimately cause the muti-billion pound white elephant do die in it's embryo stage. Just wait and see who they actually manage to sign. I know they got Robinho, but only because Madrid fell out with the Chavs, and I'm sure if a top club came in for him he would become restless and sulk.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I always kinda like citeh (well, maybe liked is too strong a word - more like I never really hated them). I viewed them as manchesters ying to manure's yang (yang being chinese for cuntslop), y'know - the lesser of two evils.

But Hughes is a prick and now they are starting to become the chavs of the north... :evil:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

goonersid wrote:I honestly don't think the Man City "explosion" will ever really happen
I Hope you're right... but the early signs are worrying. :?

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

you know that stage in football manager when you just horde the best players in the game? thats what i fear city will do, if anyone seriously considers buying a great player i can see them bidding over the odds just to kill the deal

im also convinced that keeping hughes is just a way to appease the fans with the illusion of stability. you have to remember that they have the backing, not of some buisnessman, but a whole bloody country.

goonerwood

Post by goonerwood »

they are taking what chelsea did over the last few seasons to a whole new level and i fuckin hate them for it.

i too used to "like" them, if thats the right word, but i think that with their new expansion plans (ie. buying anyone they want on the premise that most footballers will ignore the fact that man city are an average club and will simply sign for them because they are offering them stupid amounts of money a week )are a disgrace to football and epitomise everything that i dislike about the modern game.

i am still in shock that robhino ever singed for them.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Thing is I honestly don't think the players will want to sign for Man City, so their respective clubs will eventually have to yield to player power and take what thay can get elsewhere. The modern day footballer usually has an attractive girl on his arm who pulls alot of the strings, and the prospect of life in Manchester doesn't hold much Glamour, unless its the high profile of playinf for Manure.
It was different for the Chavs as they already had a good base of players and had in a sense established themselves as a serious european club with intentions,even before Abramovich came in, by having some high profile managers. Add to this the draw of the capital and you can see why it was easier for them to tempt big name players, admittedly the money did play a big part, but atleast there is a lifestyle in London thet will befit your wage. Thats just not the case in Manchester.
I think you are worrying unnecessarily, ok we might miss out on the odd signing. As for Upson, he is a big fish in a small pond, and would end up like Richard Wright were he to return to Arsenal.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

As for Robinho, he would have signed for Accrington Stanley to gat away from Madrid.

JakeN13

Post by JakeN13 »

As much as I like Matty U, no thank you...we got enough players struggling to play 2 games in a row without picking up an injury!