SO WHAT IF WENGER BUYS IN JANUARY?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

SO WHAT IF WENGER BUYS IN JANUARY?

Post by goonersid »

Anybody who says we should wait to see what wenger does in January is talking bollocks! The fact is we need 2 centre halfs, but if CV's from John Terry, Carvalho and Vidic landed on wengers desk on the 1st January he would still be off looking to sign some unknown 17 year old from Bottswana. Wenger wouldn't know a gooD centre half if he butted him in the fucking eye.Am I wrong in thinking he had the chance to sign Vidic but thought better of it. He is out of touch and FINISHED.

Radford149

Re: SO WHAT IF WENGER BUYS IN JANUARY?

Post by Radford149 »

goonersid wrote:Anybody who says we should wait to see what wenger does in January is talking bollocks! The fact is we need 2 centre halfs, but if CV's from John Terry, Carvalho and Vidic landed on wengers desk on the 1st January he would still be off looking to sign some unknown 17 year old from Bottswana. Wenger wouldn't know a gooD centre half if he butted him in the fucking eye.Am I wrong in thinking he had the chance to sign Vidic but thought better of it. He is out of touch and FINISHED.
sorry mate that is total bollocks. yet another AW hater, as they said in the magic roundabout "time for bed goonersid".

goonersid

Re: SO WHAT IF WENGER BUYS IN JANUARY?

Post by goonersid »

Radford149 wrote:
goonersid wrote:Anybody who says we should wait to see what wenger does in January is talking bollocks! The fact is we need 2 centre halfs, but if CV's from John Terry, Carvalho and Vidic landed on wengers desk on the 1st January he would still be off looking to sign some unknown 17 year old from Bottswana. Wenger wouldn't know a gooD centre half if he butted him in the fucking eye.Am I wrong in thinking he had the chance to sign Vidic but thought better of it. He is out of touch and FINISHED.
sorry mate that is total bollocks. yet another AW hater, as they said in the magic roundabout "time for bed goonersid".

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

No I have been to bed and woken up and had a smell of the coffee. Cygan, Stepanovs,Silvestre the list goes on, time you woke up too buddy.

StokeyGooner

Post by StokeyGooner »

goonersid wrote:No I have been to bed and woken up and had a smell of the coffee. Cygan, Stepanovs,Silvestre the list goes on, time you woke up too buddy.
Are you sure it wasn't glue?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

GOOD IDEA ! THATS THE ONLY HIGHS I WILL GET THIS SEASON. AND IT's 2 FOR 1 AT WOOLIES.

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Goonersid has a vallid point when he say's Wenger cannot spot a good defender. Apart from the defence handed onto him from the George Graham era, has Arsene ever bought a first class centre back :?:

Toure used to be good but was always a round peg in a square hole as he was a midfield player. Sol was good but bottled it. Cygan and his son Phil are the usual "quality" defender Arsene thinks good enough to wear an Arsenal shirt. Goonersid is spot on in this respect.

Wenger may well have an eye for spotting forward/attacking players but his defending purchases have been mostly poor.

enjibenji

Post by enjibenji »

he cant spot a good keeper either :lol:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

green gooner wrote:Goonersid has a vallid point when he say's Wenger cannot spot a good defender. Apart from the defence handed onto him from the George Graham era, has Arsene ever bought a first class centre back :?:

Good defenders bought by Wenger:

Silvinho. Toure. Campbell. Lauren. Sagna. Clichy. Gallas.

Goonersid is pessimistic.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

QuartzGooner wrote:
green gooner wrote:Goonersid has a vallid point when he say's Wenger cannot spot a good defender. Apart from the defence handed onto him from the George Graham era, has Arsene ever bought a first class centre back :?:

Good defenders bought by Wenger:

Silvinho. Toure. Campbell. Lauren. Sagna. Clichy. Gallas.

Goonersid is pessimistic.

and gallas is open to arguement.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Even more so are Silvinho, Toure, Lauren and Clichy!!

Quartz Gooner is a rose-tinted glasses wearing optimist!!

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Even more so are Silvinho, Toure, Lauren and Clichy!!

Quartz Gooner is a rose-tinted glasses wearing optimist!!
Gallas is a very good defender who is suffering from not having a settled back four around him, specfically a decent central defensive partnership.

Clichy is a good player, who has made some mistakes but I would not want to sell him.

Silvinho - better at going forward than defending but not a major source of complaint.

Toure - a good defender until last January when an ankle injury and malaria have cost him his form. Member of the Invincibles.

Lauren - very solid right back. Occasionally got beaten for pace but always gave 100%, solid in the tackle, very good going forward and again, an Invincible. Also able to play well as right sided midfielder and be solid if unspectacular in central midfield.

Campbell - was an excellent defender for us. An Invincible. He had a poor last season for us when he had off the pitch problems but not fair to judge him on that season. Has shown decent form again for Portsmouth.

I am an mostly optimist yes, but I am also a realist.

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Quartz, I respect a lot of what you post on here mate, but GALLAS :? , he is a total C**T :x

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

green gooner wrote:Quartz, I respect a lot of what you post on here mate, but GALLAS :? , he is a total C**T :x

Thanks for your compliment Green Gooner.

Just to clarify my thoughts on Gallas:

Gallas was wrong to say what he did in his autobigraphy...at least he should have kept shtum until he retired from playing. It makes his position at the club untenable as far as a concerned, and I think he should be/will be sold, in January.

But I still think he is a good defender.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Jeez, defensively Lauren was awful in defence, so slow he was roasted most weeks by the opposition left winger. I liked his spirit but he was yet another player played out of position by Wenger who didn't really cut the mustard.

Gallas has NEVER reached the level for us that he reached at Chelsea, he is a shadow of his former self.

Sagna is possibly Wengers best defensive buy, although Sol was great at the time (for more than one reason :lol: )