300!!!! Back of the net...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

Post by REB »

i understand db10,, guess we all hav a player that disapoints us when where young,, wasnt nice wat chippy did 2 u and ur mates just he was nice 2 me when we met,, pmt players wah

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

I remember as a kid Pat Jennings was a hard autograph to get. He was never ever moody but just hard to get . I got him once driving out of the ground and he wound his window down and signed my book . He was fine and I remember thinking " Ive finally got him" as for being refused an autograph Ive been collecting autograpghs since I was a kid in autograph books and backs of programmes or the little player photos that the club shop sell.
Since the ebay boom has come along the whole player signing autographs thing has changed , Not just at Arsenal but all clubs. The minute you pull out a photograph now a player thinks that you are selling it and trying to make money out of him. I have a collection that goes back to Ted Drake in the 30's but alot of the new players now I havent got because you cant get near them like you used to be able to . I used to go to Sopwell House which the players used when the old training ground caught fire and it was no problem to start with . Then people kept going again and again and the players got pissed off.
I remember being outside the marble hall once and Lee Dixon came out . He started signing for a few people and as I walked towards him with my photograph for him to sign he said " I dont want to sign yours sorry" and got on the coach . I thought " what a tosser" Like I said they think people are making money out of them but if that was the case then why sign for a few people and not others?
Its only say over that last 15 years or so that these "press photos" have became more easily available . Thats why more people have them now. If I was to go upto the players every week then Id expect them to turn me down but I dont and like DB10 said sometimes its not good to actually meet your heroes

Rilo II

Post by Rilo II »

I met Glen Helder the night his made his debut, lee dixon and steve bould before matches, and david rocastle at a summer fair at my brothers school. All were really really friendly, proper gentlemen.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

rebel gooner wrote:cheers galaso,i was 12 and at my first away match when stapo blanked me. at the time couldnt understand it,, guess even then players didnt hav much time 4 fans,, love the kolo pic,,wat hair
Thanks RG. Hope Kolo has been working on it during the summer would be very dominant in the air with one of them. If nothing else could stand at near post and nobody would see the corner coming in.

I had ticket in front row of away end at Portman Road years ago, decked out in full arsenal shirt/jacket etc and he came over too me and shook my hand and said much respect. Not up there with legends but went up in my estimation. Too many good players have attitudes, Theo certainly isn't one of them the way he gave his shirt to someone in the disabled section at Goodison in his last appearance.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

My turn.....

I'd like to thank my mouse, my chair, my keyboard and my boss for not checking my screen too closely!

I'd also like to congratulate ECD in advance for his 300 as i won't be here to celebrate it with him as not around tomorrow.

DB10/TS hope the 300 club is as good as you say it is...

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Many congratulations young man. :P :)

And many thanks for the kind wishes regarding my own forthcoming 'special achievement'. To be honest, I wasn't even aware I was that close. Now that you have brought it to my attention, the very least I can do is share it with you!

So, this is post number 299 for me. I want the 300th post to be about something serious and of great importance to us forum regulars. Right, time to get my thinking cap on.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I thought with this being my 300th post on this forum, I would share a little pearl of wisdom with you all:

'Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.' And then there is Tony Saunders!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Or alternatively for the comedians on this forum:

'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying!!' :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Eboue Can't Defend on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

somewhat belated and hung over congrats to Chopper and ECD, I knew they could do it, i feel it only right to add to the celebration by reporting my own (less impressive by a factor of a third) News, I've joined the 200+ club, it's all i thought it would be and more my thanks go out to DB10, T.S (even if he is a little power crazed at the moment), IHH, ECD, Galasso (who will Hopefully be joining the 200 club very soon), Chopper, Chunky, Rebel gooner, gooner ed.(without his marvellous servers none of us would be in a club of any sort) RiloII, Young Ben, KAQAK, Tenementfunster5, MKgould, Trevheff, 1886. and anyone else who i am too much of a pillock to remember. peace out y'all!

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

Congratulations U.F.G Anfield '89

200+

Top posting :lol: 8) :wink:

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

U.F.G Anfield '89 wrote:my thanks go out to DB10, T.S (even if he is a little power crazed at the moment), IHH, ECD, Galasso (who will Hopefully be joining the 200 club very soon), Chopper, Chunky, Rebel gooner, gooner ed.(without his marvellous servers none of us would be in a club of any sort) RiloII, Young Ben, KAQAK, Tenementfunster5, MKgould, Trevheff, 1886. and anyone else who i am too much of a pillock to remember. peace out y'all!
have to confess all the server stuff is sorted out between the webmaster and the publisher of 'The Gooner'. I am only really involved with the content side of things. however, the forum has become such an entertaining place to spend time for gooners (mainly due to all you regulars) that i am lobbying to get us switched to a server that can make this thing run a bit quicker. think you all now know not to wait for the page to refresh after hitting the submit button and just click on 'general chat' or 'further discussion' above the subject box now - but for all the new arrivals, it's a frustrating process to learn this - hence the multiple posts - so let's hope we can sort that side of things out soonish.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

U.F.G Anfield '89 wrote:somewhat belated and hung over congrats to Chopper and ECD, I knew they could do it, i feel it only right to add to the celebration by reporting my own (less impressive by a factor of a third) News, I've joined the 200+ club, it's all i thought it would be and more my thanks go out to DB10, T.S (even if he is a little power crazed at the moment), IHH, ECD, Galasso (who will Hopefully be joining the 200 club very soon), Chopper, Chunky, Rebel gooner, gooner ed.(without his marvellous servers none of us would be in a club of any sort) RiloII, Young Ben, KAQAK, Tenementfunster5, MKgould, Trevheff, 1886. and anyone else who i am too much of a pillock to remember. peace out y'all!
Top Work Fella!! 8)

Stays till the End

Post by Stays till the End »

congrats