Please, Freddie - don't say anymore...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Please, Freddie - don't say anymore...

Post by DB10GOONER »

Todays mirror sh*te rag has the inevitable Freddie quotes.

They are a bit gobby coming from a player that has contributed so little over the last two years. Still, they could be worse. I hope it ends here. I really don't want to start hating Freddie. But I will if he starts bad mouthing us. Please, Freddie - shut up now while we still love you.

Here's the link to the stink...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -19507838/

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Quote from the article:

The Premiership is the most difficult league in Europe to win. Of course you need youth as well to have the willingness and the hunger. But you need experience to lead the young people

YES - but you and TH weren't up for it.

Now you're at a middle ranking spend spend spend club with no hope of doing anything.

Am I going nuts??

gunners-need-steel

Post by gunners-need-steel »

DB10, this is old news .. he said it on sky sports on Monday ....

I think we should allow him his excuses and justifications ... we all know he realised his predicament, saw an opportunity and took it.

Let the man have his last few minutes of fame, because he will probably not be making much news after this.

Even without new signings, Arsenal is too big a club to be rattled by these sorts comments .. and real football people know that this was a lucky break for Freddie. I am sure we will not be getting any more bad-mouthing from him .. he just needed to say these things to justify accepting a move-down to the hampsters ...

For his past services, we should still love Freddie .. but if we shag them at any of our matches against the hampsters this season, perhaps we should sing a special song for him about ambitions ... but, I suspect he will probably sit out most of the season on the bench with injury and fitness worries and may not be available for slating.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Does Freddie not see the irony in what he is saying - I just find it highly amusing and no reflection on what Freddie has done for us.

The thing is - he doesn't need to say anything about us. He can say all he likes about his new club. I think we are allowed to ripost if we so wish. I think Arsene Wenger for one deserves that our players leave with grace and dignity, as he treats them as such.

Goodbye Freddie. You really were magnificent, put in an amazing amount of effort game to game and scored some great goals. I thank you, you earned our reespect on the field.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Freddie"s form over the last two seasons was poor to be honest.Once he had lost his pace and when Dennis retired he was not the same player.

He spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch so i think it is great buisness to get £3m for a player who would have been a long way from 1st choice at Arsenal.He might fit in well at West Ham with their record of crocks(Ashton,Upson etc)

He has taken a big step down from us to a team that just stayed up and Curbishley is no tactical genius.

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Yes Darren Lewis's Freddie Ljungberg piece pissed me off too ! He even managed to get Pascal Cygan listed as Phillipe Senderos on the "where are all the heroes" photo !!

Some of the quotes are laughable

"we have a chairman who is willing to make this club very big. Its already big but Im talking about being at the top of the table"

It aint gonna happen Fred and you know it. As much as we love you, This season you were only gonna be a bench warmer if that. You are no longer the player you were due to injuires and you seem to have lost that pace that got you past the opposition . You will still get a great reception but please dont try and sour it.

REB

Post by REB »

:twisted: that was some shite out of fl8 in the mirror,, why did he feel the need 2 knock arsenal ,, was it bcos he knew he wouldnt get his game anymore,, freddie i loved u as a gooner but stop thinkin where all stupid,, :mrgreen:

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

One minute he's on about loving to see out his 10th year nxt minute he's slagging of the club, make you mind up freddie and stop bullshitting.

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

I aint going to slag him off not after what he done for us, But fred do please keep your mouth shut :wink: :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

i think freddie's a bit confused at the moment. he slags of arsenal about not having ambition and then goes on to say that West Hams ambitions is to get to the top part of the table, he crazy

Rad

Post by Rad »

I think this is a situation similar to when one gets dumped by their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/partner etc. The one who is dumped gets all upset and blames the other one in order to not feel so bad about themselves! In this situation it also allows Freddie to come away from it not looking like another greedy footballer as he scoops a 6o grand a week pay packet and probably a payoff from Arsenal as he didn't ask for a transfer. Wenger did the trick last week saying Arsenal were happy to keep him (the vote of confidece) when in fact they had been trying to get rid of him all Summer. Nothing like A Freddie scorned. Good luck to him at West Ham!

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Rad wrote:I think this is a situation similar to when one gets dumped by their boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/partner etc. The one who is dumped gets all upset and blames the other one in order to not feel so bad about themselves!..
Bit like some Arsenal fans behaved when Henry left!! :roll: :wink: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

:? Surely to jaysus I cant be the only one who thinks that freddie's comments, although they shouldn't have been aired publicly, were spot on ? All summer long (summer my arse) we have been at this forum bemoaning a lack of signings and ambition by the people now running our great club. If his words shake our board into something resembling life and we make a few signings then I for one will be delighted he aired them. Players know the game and they can see more by training with team-mates everyday so if freddie agrees with the rest of us and doesn't think our squad is good enough then lets call a spade a spade. People often refer to hansens comment about not winning anything with kids before manure cleaned up that season but it is often forgotten that fergiescum had a lot of experience in that squad to. Our young players need that big game experience alongside them from players who know what it takes to be winners and are willing to share that knowledge. 6 players out this summer (so far) and only 3 & a 16 year old in to what was too small a squad to cope with injuries last season so you tell me who is right.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Augie,

Although I agree with a lot of what you write, you must understand that it's not a question of whether what he said was right or wrong, or if we agree with it. It's about whether he had to say it in public in the first place, especially as he had now left the club after earlier claiming that he wanted to stay!!

If he felt that strongly about it, why didn't he bring it up with Wenger privately and while still at the club? And if he did, and he wasn't happy with the way events were going at Arsenal, why come out with all that bollocks about staying just a few days ago?

Like him or loathe him, at least Gallas had the balls to say something while still our player, and not use it as an excuse whilst running away like Thierry and Freddie have!!

augie

Post by augie »

Eboue, I agree in principle in what you said re washing our dirty linen in public & I said as much in my original post. However lets consider a couple of explainations as to why he did it before we condemn him eh -

1. He already had gone to Arsene to air his views and either was unhappy
with the response he received at that time or lack of change in policy
since.

2. And this is the more likely scenario. He, like the rest of us, believes
that the lack of positive transfer activity is 95% down to the board and
the lack of finance being provided. He believes that Wenger's hands
are tied and decided to heap more pressure on an already under
pressure board.

I know both of these reasons might be viewed as a stretch but I'd like to believe that if it forced a shake up in our transfer dealings and we then went on to have a successful season then freddie will feel happy inside knowing that his words may have made a difference. After all he knows he won't win f*ck all with the shammers so I am sure he would be hoping his old club would make him proud