Good Times

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
tompfarrell

Good Times

Post by tompfarrell »

I was just watching a compilation of Bobby on Youtube. What with Freddie the last of the 2002 team and one of the last Invincibles having left yesterday I've been thinking of good times gone by.

Was he not the best finisher we ever had? I mean in terms of passing the ball into the back of the net. He just seemed to stroke the ball in.

He remains my second favourite Gooner. Dennis is Nr1. I hope to name my sons after those two!

2001-2004. What great times they were to be a Gooner. I feel sorry for those who didn't get the chance to be there at least once or for those who were too young to remember. Will the good times ever return?

Of all the Invincibles that have gone I'd take the three musketeers back in a flash. Patrick, Bobby & Titi were true greats and could still be doing a job for the Club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A fellow Dub!! 8)

Howya, Tom.

I agree. Bob's finishing was awesome, even sublime at times. And he played with a certain rakish tilt of the chin, a certain romantic swagger (not in a way Cashley might find exciting :? :wink: ) and with what many classed as arrogance, but we knew it was just his way.

I watch the 02 and the 04 DVD's probably most of all the videos and DVD's I have. Not because I'm a johnny-come-lately (I'm a Gooner since the early 70's as a kid and been going every season since '91) but because those two sides played the best football I've ever seen. By ANYBODY. ANYWHERE. EVER.

And I include the Brazil 70 and 74 sides, the Mouser late 70's and early 80's sides and the Dutch total football side of the 70's in that. They did it for a few games a year, usually against much weaker opposition; our lads did it week in, week out and against some quality sides too (obviously the spuds, blackburn and bolton should not be included here :wink: ).

DB10 is still the number one of all time for me, but Bob is top three. Deffo.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Totally agree DB10 Gooner

It wasn"t just that we were winning trophies,teams like Chelski win trophies.It was we won with STYLE.

We were like Madrid of the 50"s Brazil in 70 and 82,and Holland in 74

When i first started supporting Arsenal we were called boring,boring Arsenal.

In 1998 we had a great team that won the double,but the teams between 2001 and 2005 played the best football i have ever seen and i include the Brazil 70 team. We played skillful football with pace.Yes we still play great football but it is missing the cutting edge the invincibles had.

Both Liverpool and Man Utd have won more trophies than us but there fans have never had the privilege of watching the greatest football this country has ever seen. And the man we have to thank is Arsene.

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Loved Bobby P and wished he had signed that extention !

REB

Post by REB »

lets hope tommy rosicky can be the new super bob,, im less confident then i was last wk but still think theres a good season 2 be had,, bit of faith there gooners,, COM ON U REDS :mrgreen:

Chunky The Gooner

As George Michael said " you got to have faith" :oops:

Piss poor joke I know but hopefully we will get a lot more goals this season from our midfielders.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I have the answer Gentlemen!

I am going to stay drunk from August until May!

You can keep the faith I will keep the Guinness!

:P

Chunky The Gooner

What a great idea Gus !

Mines a vodka and coke cheers!

tompfarrell

Post by tompfarrell »

Chunky The Gooner wrote:What a great idea Gus !

Mines a vodka and coke cheers!
Vodka and coke?! Not the drink I would have thought someone called Chunky would drink. :D

Chunky The Gooner

Ah thats down to the food not the drink :lol:

REB

Post by REB »

diet coke is it chunky,, do a gus on it,, no food just lots of porter :D early congrats on your 200 post, see ur on 199 :mrgreen:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

couldn't believe it when AW took Bobby off in CL final he was the sort of player we needed, could always pop out of nowhere to stroke the ball in

goonari

Post by goonari »

[quote][quote="IW8Goalmachine"]couldn't believe it when AW took Bobby off in CL final he was the sort of player we needed, could always pop out of nowhere to stroke the ball in[/quote][/quote]

When lehman went off and almunia came on. It was either him or freddie who went off, and freddie ended up being most peoples man of the match.
And even though we lost it was still one of the best nights i have had at football the support was brilliant.

Chunky The Gooner

Cheers Rebel Gooner !

This site is very addictive when you are off work !!

REB

Post by REB »

im off myself chunky so i know,, putting away this bloody laptop soon as i hav a fecking arsenal suportors club meeting 2 go 2,, im the treasurer so got all the money,, hopefully will find out 2nite wat matchs we got tickets too,, we got 10 matches last year so hopin 4 same this :mrgreen: