Glory hunter accusations

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:..I have no previoous connection to Arsenal, support us coz a guy sold me the wrong shirt in 1968 and I've never looked back for a second but that's another story.
Go on. Please tell us the story Charlie! :( 8) Don't leave us in suspenders!! :oops: ...er... I mean suspense!! :wink: :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

put it down as jealousy arsenal are sucessful and doing it playing with class. most of the gory hunters are mancs anyways

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Eboue Can't Defend wrote:
charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:..I have no previoous connection to Arsenal, support us coz a guy sold me the wrong shirt in 1968 and I've never looked back for a second but that's another story.
Go on. Please tell us the story Charlie! :( 8) Don't leave us in suspenders!! :oops: ...er... I mean suspense!! :wink: :lol:
Well ok, if you're twisting my arm :wink: I first got interested in football in late 67 early 68 and the first game I can remember seeing on tv and being interested in was the 68 european cup final between manure and Benfica and after that, much to me eternal shame I decided to be a manure fan. For the following few weeks I saved up every penny of my pocket money in order to buy a manure shirt, at the time all I knew was that they played in red. When the glorious day came, I trundled off to the sports shop (in 1968 very different things that we know as sports shops now) and asked the old guy behind the counter for a manure shirt. He went to a draw and got me a red and white football shirt out which I proceeded to purchase, rushed home and donned said shirt then went to my mates house to show it off. I knocked on the door and proudly showed him my "manure" shirt, he, being a spud looked quite distressed and said, "that's not, it's an Arsenal shirt" so I said no it's not, it's a manure shirt coz the old guy in the sports shop sold it to me as a man utd shirt" so he says "I'll get me dad and he'll know for sure" so the dad who was also a spud came to the door, looked even more disgusted and said, "no that's definitely an Arsenal shirt" so I immediately said, "ok then, I'm an Arsenal fan" and I promise you I've never looked back from that moment on and never regretted a second of it. The funny thing is, virtually from that moment on I've always hated manure as well, I think it must have been fate or something. I had an amazing double escape there, my mate and his dad were both spuds so they could have swayed me into supporting them at the impressionable age of 9 and I could also have endured a life of hell as a cockney red. Whatever/whoever there is to give thanks to I give it with all my heart :wink: I must also give a special thanks to the old boy who sold me the Arsenal shirt, he must be dead but he's enjoying an eternity of bliss in heaven I'm sure :D

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

great story to start the day charliegeorgewhocanhitem supporter and club accidently cross paths to forged a unbreakable bond that no manc or spud could break or even appreciate

REB

Post by REB »

CHARLIEGEORGE.. classic mate,, think of the years of hurt ur spud friend has had,, 61 never again :mrgreen:

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

rebel gooner wrote:CHARLIEGEORGE.. classic mate,, think of the years of hurt ur spud friend has had,, 61 never again :mrgreen:
Thanks mate, I still know him and I've reminded him of that fact a few times over the years :wink: They hate us but they really want to be us and that's what really hurts LOL.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Charliegeorgewhocanhitem,

So in essence, it's very similar to the Rebel story. 8) The part of Rebel being played by that kindly old man at the sports shop!! 8) :lol:

You've never regretted it have you? :shock: :roll: Well, nor will that kid Rebel saved!! 8) :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Eboue Can't Defend wrote:Charliegeorgewhocanhitem,

So in essence, it's very similar to the Rebel story. 8) The part of Rebel being played by that kindly old man at the sports shop!! 8) :lol:

You've never regretted it have you? :shock: :roll: Well, nor will that kid Rebel saved!! 8) :wink: :lol: :wink: :lol:
In a way but I don't think it was a deliberate thing on the part of the old guy in the shop. This was 1968 and the marketing of football shirts etc bore absolutely no resemblance to how things are now. The shirts were kept tucked away in wooden draws and you had to actually ask for what you wanted, I'm sure the old guy thought he was doing the right thing and whatever he did, deliberate or not I thank my lucky stars he did it and would'nt swap that moment for anything. Believe me, I've never had one second of regret and I think it was one of those fated, meant to be things coz it felt exactly right from the very first moment and it still does at the grand old age of 48.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You or your old man didn't sell football shirts in 1968 by any chance did you RG....?!

REB

Post by REB »

Chopper wrote:You or your old man didn't sell football shirts in 1968 by any chance did you RG....?!
was born in 68 and my old man worked in london undrground,, sorry chopper :mrgreen: reckon ur man knew wat he was doin alrite and didnt want 2 sell him manure shirt

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Maybe in 40 years some young gooner will be recapping your story on how he became a gooner!

REB

Post by REB »

now that woud be funny chopper :D :D :D

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Chopper wrote:Maybe in 40 years some young gooner will be recapping your story on how he became a gooner!
And he'll be just as thankful as I am when he realises what an awful time he'd have had for the previous 40 years :wink:

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

The man in the sports shop was a gooner I reckon !!

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Chunky The Gooner wrote:The man in the sports shop was a gooner I reckon !!

Nice thought and I hope so but I'll never know, it was just fate.