Everyone has his price

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Sammy Mooner

Everyone has his price

Post by Sammy Mooner »

Everyone has his price

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1241

Great article from Adrian - thanks for that mate. The biggest irony would be that if the Chavs agree to flog John Terry to Man City they could actually fulfill their farcical financial break even promises of the past few years. But the biggest reason they probably won't is the limited number of decent home grown players they have on their books.

Interestingly given the ongoing changing rules about home grown players and the very limited amount of dross floating around within England who meet the criteria very few have mentioned just how far Wenger is ahead of the game in this respect. [/quote]

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Excellent article as usual Adrian. I'm planning to write a 2 page article for the 2nd issue of the season along exactly the same lines.

What is happening at Man Citeh is obscene - reports today suggest that they are willing to offer Terry £1m per month.

Sheikh Mansour's colossal wealth comes from gas & oil deposits 3,500 miles away from Manchester. The man has no previous connections to Manchester and is merely using his wealth to buy success in Europe. Any successes Citeh achieve (and they undoubtedly will within 2 or 3 years) will be even less valid than Chelsea's title wins.

Adebayor and Citeh seem like a match made in heaven. I can honestly say that I'd rather finish 4th the Wenger way than win the league simply because the richest bloke around decided to buy my club.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

As much as I agree with this article, it just goes to show how unrealistic it is to think that footballers have any loyalty to their clubs these days.

Terry has insulted his own supporters' intelligence claiming he was "always going to stay". Maybe; but would he have stayed if Chelsea hadn't made him the most grossly overpaid player in the league (including Ade in my opinion)? He's 30 or close, has a dodgy back, and has been made to look good by Carvalho and Cech. At least Ade, from what I've read anyway, has parted on good terms with the club (if not the fans), wishing us well for the future and reiterating that Wenger put him where he is and he's grateful for that. Nice to see Cashley publicly expressing his hope that City beat us to 4th this year.

The Chavs will no doubt continue to lionise JT as 'Mr Chelsea' but given their own fickleness (around 20,000 turned up to see a champs league game a couple of years ago I seem to recall - pathetic) we should expect no less.

However my point is that we have lost a decent player in Adebarndoor(whatever anyone says his goals:games ratio was still healthy even last season when he was lambasted, plus he was injured for large parts) purely because the fans think every Arsenal player should be willing to die for the club. Why are we any different to any other club? Unless Bendtner and Vela really step up to the plate this year, and don't even get me started on how many injuries we seem to accumulate, we could miss Ade. Particularly if we keep messing about waiting til 31 August to reduce the asking fee for potential signings by a million or two.

I'd love for the fans to just get behind the team this year instead of the continual berating I heard every week.

I've moved seats this year so here's hoping.......