AW or the Board why arent we spending any money?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
lowerwest

AW or the Board why arent we spending any money?

Post by lowerwest »

Simple question to which no one seems to be able to give a straight answer. This is by my estimation the 5th year running we have done bugger all in the transfer market. Does AW simply not want to spend or has he been told not to?

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

Something is odd for sure because Gallas is now singing from the same sheet as Wenger :? He must have had cash for super, super signings at one time but now does not see the point after Henry turned traitor :roll: :wink:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Wenger truly believes in this squad and loyal to many of the players and remember the season before the invincibles he predicted that it would happen so i think his mind is set like that again with this squad also Wenger is an accomplished hypnotist that explains Gallas' change of heart

lowerwest

AW or the Board

Post by lowerwest »

Oh yeah they have all been to the same charm school havent they. U wont get an honest view because they are all scared of getting coated like Freddie. Really annoys me when they trott out all the old bollox. I doubt one member of that squad really thinks we can win the title. U know why it because we cant. Also pisses me off how AW is beyond criticsm...its like a people cult dont get me wrong the guy is a legend but am i the only one who thinks his enthusiasm is on the wane. Lets face it this guy will leave when he wants to.

WinterburnsRightFoot

Post by WinterburnsRightFoot »

The simple answer is that we don't have millions to spend. We have over stretched ourselves in the short term, for long term gain. With £300m+ in stadium loans to be serviced something has to be sacrificed and that something is buying players. Its no coincidence that with this debt comes the talk of buyouts and takovers. These type of people look for companies with debts to buy on the 'cheap' and get the highest return for their investment.

Arsene has the best interests of the club at heart and I'm sure that if he insisted on any particular player(s) then the board would back him. But it seems that the policy for the time being is to tick along as we are, relying on the talented bunch of boys that we have and stay as close to our rivals as possible. Then in two or three seasons time we will start to see the benefits of our current parsimonious existence.

Have a little faith, bite the bullet for now and we will still see some wonderful football played by our lads this season. Guaranteed.

we_are_the_arsenal

Post by we_are_the_arsenal »

original thread :roll:

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Winterburn is right, ok yes the board will try to finance anybody Arsene asks for but the club has a safety first policy with money. Arsene has a talented squad at his disposal and he seems to belive that they can go onto great things and I agree with him, if the players claim they can win the title, it is the big club mentality and perhaps a genuine belief, they know that they outplayed Man U twice, beat Liverpool three times but wasted to many chances against little teams, they have the talent, can they use it?

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

I think we've just got to acclimatise ourselves for not challenging for the title. The board have a long-term plan.
WinterburnsRightFoot Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:00 am Post subject:

The simple answer is that we don't have millions to spend. We have over stretched ourselves in the short term, for long term gain. With £300m+ in stadium loans to be serviced something has to be sacrificed and that something is buying players. Its no coincidence that with this debt comes the talk of buyouts and takovers. These type of people look for companies with debts to buy on the 'cheap' and get the highest return for their investment

If they have so blatantly sacrificed the short term, maybe we'll get a season ticket discount. When they interview the players it feels like we're the Liberal Democrats of football. They all say we can win the title as the party line but nobody really believes it.

lowerwest

Signings

Post by lowerwest »

I think the suggestion here is that we should put up or shut up. In other words it is acceptable for us to fork out our hard earned cash on a team that is essentially only able to acheive say 75% of its potential. Am i the only one who finds that totally unacceptable. Long term view...when this great financial surge comes will there be anyone around to fill their nice new stadium? Personally it looks they are bankrolling to finish 4th...if they dont what will that mean long term?