Amazon refuses to withdraw sick Wenger chant (1/9)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Why do we Gooners feel so aggrieved now?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Previously we've been apathetic
20%
It's a way to show our support for AW
7%
It's vile but selling it tips the balance
20%
All the above - and more
53%

Total votes: 15

proudtosaythatname

Amazon refuses to withdraw sick Wenger chant (1/9)

Post by proudtosaythatname »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1296

I've just sent this email to Amazon. And if I don't receive a reply my next port of call will be the the President. According to advice on 'making complaints' this is the best method of gaining attention - but make sure you go through the usual channels first, otherwise it undermines your position:

Dear Mr Ram (K)

I'm delighted to hear you are "Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company". What a pity I shall not be a part of it.

My wife and I have been good Amazon customers over the years. However, I have just read your response to the publication of the vile mp3 Manchester United chant about Arsene Wenger and this happy relationship is now about to cease, it would seem.

I am amazed that you "strongly believe that the appropriate response to distasteful or repugnant speech is not censorship"; and so, as you "value all feedback from our customers", you will not mind my saying that if this permits you to sell such a vile product I shall not "allow you to continue to serve me" and plan to take my custom elsewhere.

Yes, football chants are mainly banter but if you cannot see that this one is over the top you do not deserve my custom - or for that matter, anyone else's. I cannot believe that your main competitors will stoop so low and I advise you to rethink. There are at least 60,000 Arsenal supporters out there who will feel exactly the same as me.

I do expect a reply, otherwise my next email will be a copy of this one to your President. Until then

Goodbye
Proudtosaythatname
(well of course I put my real name!)

Basil is a Gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

I agree proudtosaythatname, and look forward to hearing the response you get from Amazon.

REB

Post by REB »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I too e-mailed amazon about this - and got the following reply, even though I pointed out that the sale of said material equated with their condoning child Abuse and Paedophlia

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Dear Customer

Thank you for writing to Amazon.co.uk with your concerns about one of the titles we list in our catalogue.

Here at Amazon, we believe that people have the right to choose what they listen to. Our goal is to support freedom of expression and to provide customers with the broadest selection possible so they can find, discover, and buy any product they might be seeking. That selection includes products which some people, including employees of Amazon, may find distasteful or otherwise objectionable.

However, Amazon believes it is censorship to make a product unavailable to our customers because we believe its message to be repugnant. Furthermore, because we strongly believe that the appropriate response to repugnant speech is not censorship, but more speech, we will continue to allow customers to express their views via our web site about the products we offer for sale. Stocking controversial content does not mean that Amazon.co.uk endorses the views held within.

We value all feedback from our customers, and I thank you again for taking the time to send us your comments about this issue.

We hope you will allow us to continue to serve you.

Please let us know if this e-mail answered your question:

Warmest regards

Syed Yousuf
Amazon.co.uk
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I find your reply nothing more than an excuse to allow disgusting material that amounts to a celebration and endorsment of child abuse and paedophilia.

I fully intend to notify the media (BBC, iTV and all press publications) of your preference for Profit over Decency, whilst using the excuse of 'freedom of expression' as your means by which to continue to profit from such disgusting and obscene material.

I herewith close my account with yourselves.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

F*ck the Scumbags....

I would sincerely urge all of you who have or still order stuff from amazon (and any of the other culprits) to:

Write to them in complaint, and should they reply with the above mass produced profit laden reply, to close your account with the Feckers!

This evil and disgusting behaviour and chant has gone on long enough, time we put our heads above the parapet and use 'People Power' to bring it to an end.

So a covering letter to all the newspapers, BBC, Channel 4, ITV , the FA, Uefa, Fifa and any others you can think of stating your total opposition regarding this matter, and eventually something will have to be done.

:barscarf: ARSENAL TILL I DIE :barscarf:

Basil is a Gooner

yes rebel, but this thread has a poll........ :wink:

REB

Post by REB »

which is why it wasnt deleted :wink:

wouldnt want to upset one of our better posters mr proudtosaythatname :wink:

Basil is a Gooner

Just to let you know that I wrote to Ivan Gazidis and have had a reply from the Head of Marketing, Angus Kinnear, who assures me that Arsenal are aware of this disgraceful matter and are currently taking steps through their legal team.

guyincognito76

Post by guyincognito76 »

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the song is also for sale on Itunes.

guyincognito76

Sent to Apple

Post by guyincognito76 »

Hello,

I would like to know why Apple is allowing the sale of the following track on it's Itunes site: Sit Down by Fat Willy (Manchester United chants)

This song, although not naming directly, is a song suggesting that the Arsenal Football Clubs manager Arsene Wenger is a Peadophile.

Are Apple condoning this unfounded suggestion by selling this song? I hope not.

I would also hope, that if you are unfamiliar with this particular song then you familiarise yourselves with it immediately and it's actual meaning.

An argument for freedom of expression should not be made in this case.

Thank you very much

pep123

Amazon refuses to withdraw sick Wenger chant

Post by pep123 »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1296

Let's be honest here, it has been around for years and there is absolutely no need for it at all. I think it has been said but I can't really picture Amazon selling the Leeds fans version of Always Look On the Bright Side of Life, so why this?

I shall be parting ways with Amazon.

I guess I should also stop calling Cashley's wife a whore. Rooney a grannyshagger, Keane a pikey c*nt, Lumplard a fat b*stard, Phil Thompson Pinnochio and John Terry's Mother a thief!

Damn that political correctness!

Snooot

Post by Snooot »

I’ve also emailed Amazon & I’ve asked them to delete my Amazon account & remove all my personal details, as I will never use them again. If you have an Amazon account please do the same.

6OONER PETE

Post by 6OONER PETE »

Wrote to Amazon yesterday. Their reply is ridiculous. My family were big customers of theirs. Not any more.

d707

Wenger chant on Amazon - VICTORY

Post by d707 »

It would appear that Amazon have removed the item. I like many of you sent a complaint to Amazon and got a similar mealy mouthed paragraph about censorship balh blah blah. I replied to that saying I would exercise my own censorship ... etc

Maybe the weight of our complaints has made them change their position. If so I would consider using them again. however I would say that while waiitng for them to act, I did discover that there are many good alternatives.

Dont mess with the Gooners!!!

BTW - I am told itunes are stocking the item too. I dont use them (Vuze being much better value :-) so I cant confirm.

Timmy Gooner

Nearly an Amazon customer!

Post by Timmy Gooner »

I've just joined the Gooner forum to share my indignation over this Amazon business. I have seldom used Amazon however by chance I had placed an order with them before this Fat Willy business broke news.

I was on the Amazon site this evening trying to leave a review when they brought the page down. So they caved in on 60 or so reviews. I then went on to check my order, to see it had not yet been dispatched. As quick as you can say "Arsene Wengers Magic" 3 tick boxes for cancellation were quickly filled and I left this reason for cancellation for them to mull over.

" Because you also sold "Manchester Utd Chants" by "Fat Willy" - According to your own terms and conditions, users should not load "Profane, obscene, or spiteful" images for their profile. It is
however ok for Amazon to take it's percentage from selling profane
obscene & spiteful material.

I placed this order just before finding out about the collection of Manchester United Chants by "Fat Willy" also being sold on your site. Had I realised the "Sit Down" chant (whose title you don't even fully acknowledge) was being sold shamelessly by your company I certainly would not have made my purchases.

The rest of the collection is neither here nor there. It is this one track which apart from being quite obvously slanderous is also particulary spiteful and obscene in it's vitriol against a single person.

It appears your sales team know nothing about football and they certainly have not fully investigated the background to the material they have posted for sale.

I tried to leave this message as a review on that item but it seems as as I write, public opinion and media attention has forced you to remove the said offending item. I would see that as a victory for common sense. However your company has not come out smelling of roses in this, since it took you so long to see sense yourselves. Was it really worth the trouble selling this for a few pence, and risking even a single sale which would be thirty times in value. ( my cancelled purchases worth 65x )

If removed, you still have a bit of a public relations diaster on your hands. Blog sites are at this moment rallying supporters of Arsenal Football club to boycott any online company which sells this malicious material. There are also new Amazon chants at this moment being created for the Emirates Stadium for Saturday afternoons. I would suggest Amazon make a public apology to Arsenal Football Club and in particular it's Manager .

You have a lot of making up to do! For now I do not wish to purchase. I'll reconsider in a few days time when I see how this incident pans out."

Click "Cancel" and I have hit Amazon for a £50 lost sale. I might not have made a personal dent in their profit this year, and it is likely nobody in their sales dept will read the reason. If any of the corporate suits higher up take any notice and do their sum, then they will see evidence of how damaging this could be to them. Average 60,000 ( and the rest ) x £50 means £3,000,000 in lost revenue over a poxy 50p download. The b*llocks that ok'd that track for sale ( who is probably a Manc ) will probably not be getting a christmas bonus this year. Arsenal supporters need to rally on this one and hit any company that even considers making money out of this disgusting chant.

Yours in Goonerdom

guyincognito76

Post by guyincognito76 »

OK Lads... Now onto iTunes.

They haven't replied to my mail yet.They said they would within 48 hours and that was 42 hours ago.