I only go to see Eboue

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
norfbankN16

I only go to see Eboue

Post by norfbankN16 »

Interesting read, but i'd like to add that not all the home support criticise the poor lad. I for one have always liked the guy, he gives 100% in every match and when we had Thierry Henry up front those killer crosses by eboue into the middle of the box were met by the man himself. Sure he has his shortfalls but so does the rest of the squad including Arsene.

hutchy08

Post by hutchy08 »

i for one am a massive eboue fan i think he is quality and have from day one ....his direct dribbling, pace and body movement are first class and is a very dangerous player, his final ball can and does let him down on occassion but then walcotts ability to run straight into the defender or arshavins inability to give a flying fuck unless its a big game are there downfalls, at west ham he must have won at least 10 freekicks by commiting a defender to dive in ....did he go down easily, probably but they were all fouls and everytime he got the ball and he got it alot as he popped up all over the pitch we looked dangerous and he injected pace into our attack, and every game this season he has played well especially when played at right back. a very underated player !

leahy

Post by leahy »

the guy is pure shit, acknowledging the fans doesnt make up for how fucking irritating, disruptive and attack stopping he is ON THE PITCH.
whatever about his change in attitude, yeh he tries more now, and doesnt dilly dally about up front thinking hes a striker like last year, but his passing is pathetic, if u watch the game for 90 mins you cant help but scream at eboue 4 or 5 times a game.

and the diving? have u just sidestepped that flaw aswell, i like to call him the starfish the way he goes down without fail into the starfish position to break his fall, and the blatant dive that got parker booked, the ivory twirl.

he is a fucking disgrace to football and any young lad watching him will be poisoned. if u did any of the circus dives he pulls off in amateur football u would have the shit kicked out of you.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

eboue is probably in the top 4 or 5 right-backs in the league, and he's our reserve right-back, so i can't complain about that.

however, as a midfielder, i challenge anyone to show me what the point of him is. i've lost count of the number of times he's been one on one with the keeper in the inside-right channel about 10 yards out and managed to slice it wide of the near post. he's a wonderful athlete and plays much more directly than most of our players but he's scored only a handful of goals and i can't recall an assist by him from midfield, not one.

his crossing is better than most in the squad but he only does this from right-back (i particularly remember his cross for rvp's wonder-volley away at charlton a few years back). from midfield he runs at centre-backs and slices shots off to the right.

and his diving is embarrassing. no-one ever talks about the fact that sol's goal in paris came from a free-kick resulting directly from eboue's most blatant dive in an arsenal shirt.

definitely a good squad player but a starting midfielder? not in my book. wilshere must be losing the will to live.

leahy

Post by leahy »

exactly. forget future arsenal youngsters, what about the ones on the bench, wilshire ramsey vela. what must they think?

keep him at reserve right back and let him run up and down the touchline warming up as thats his only talent.

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

leahy wrote:the guy is pure shit, acknowledging the fans doesnt make up for how fucking irritating, disruptive and attack stopping he is ON THE PITCH.
whatever about his change in attitude, yeh he tries more now, and doesnt dilly dally about up front thinking hes a striker like last year, but his passing is pathetic, if u watch the game for 90 mins you cant help but scream at eboue 4 or 5 times a game.

and the diving? have u just sidestepped that flaw aswell, i like to call him the starfish the way he goes down without fail into the starfish position to break his fall, and the blatant dive that got parker booked, the ivory twirl.

he is a fucking disgrace to football and any young lad watching him will be poisoned. if u did any of the circus dives he pulls off in amateur football u would have the shit kicked out of you.
Surely the definition of Irony..... leahy decribes Eboue's passing as 'Pathetic' whilst having Walcott's shirt emblazoned under his name.

6OONER PETE

Post by 6OONER PETE »

I know football is all about opinions but how anyone can see any reason to play Eboue other than at full back is beyond me. ( Mind you, the way Sagna is playing at the moment it's difficult to decide between the two ). But Arsenal will not win anything this season if we keep playing Eboue and Diaby in midfield. Ramsey and Wilshere must be wondering how the f*%k they're not getting a game. Diaby adds so little to the team and he can't defend and with Eboue there is rarely any end product. I despair when I see them on the teamsheet.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

A clown in an Arsenal kit. A usless Crunt

Give Jack Wilshire a game

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Eboue is not good enough for Arsenal, period.

He can run all day and has pace, can't deny that. But he can't shoot, can't defend, can't head a ball and is simply cringe worthy at times with his antics. When he was our first choice right back he was a liability. OK he adds an attacking option from right back, but he has zero defensive instinct (i.e. closing wingers and pressing the ball to stop crosses/shots coming in). Remember Chelsea's equaliser at Wembley last season? A natural defender would have been in Malouda's face smothering any shot.

His attitude has improved, but that doesn't make up for his lack of quality. If we all donate £1 to Third World poverty everytime a move breaks down with Eboue we could make Somalia a thriving Metropolis within 12 months. If we start donating everytime he slices a shot miles wide from a great position we could sort the whole of Africa.

Problem is we have few natural wide players (even Wilshere prefers to come inside) so I accept he does provide balance at times. But he's a back-up player at best and no where near good enough to get the number of starts he does.

All that said I'd never boo him. Never boo any Arsenal player.

hutchy08

Post by hutchy08 »

i can't recall an assist by him from midfield, not one.

off the top of my head i remember

2 crosses to henry for headers and one to rvp for volley

last season

back heel to rvp at home to newcastle

pass to diaby away at villa

pass to fabregas at home to boro

this season

pas to diaby v pompey

pass to vermaelen v wigan

so there HE HAS had an assist!

djhdjh

Post by djhdjh »

The fact that you can remember them says it all.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

hutchy08 - "from midfield" was what i said. rvp's volley was from right-back which i mentioned. i'll give you wigan and possibly newcastle. the rest were from right-back where i do rate him. he's even defended well from there this season.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

It would be boring if we all had the same opinion, but hatemanu, top 4 or 5 right backs in the league? Are you serious?!?

Wes Brown, Glen Johnson, Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Carlos Cuellar, Micah Richards. Six names just off the top of my head that I'd want instead of Eboue anyday, not to mention Bacary Sagna. And that's even allowing for Johnson being overrated!! Arsene clearly identified Eboue as a weak link in our defence when he bought Sagna. I'm just amazed he's put Eboue back there a few times this season even given Sagna's dip in form. Have a close look at Eboue next time he plays right back. Zero urgency to close wingers down (as Georgie Graham will tell you, you can't concede goals from crosses if the crosses don't come in), zero know how of how to force an opponent on to his wrong foot, constantly shows players inside and invites shooting opportunities rather than taking them away from goal. I could go on. The guy is not a defender. He's a midfielder playing in a defensive position and that shows everytime he plays in the back 4. Maybe the managers to blame for that and not Eboue, but to say he's a good defender is laughable.[/quote]

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

couldn't disagree more mate. richards was hyped as the next great defender and the last couple of years has gone down the pan, his defending nous is appalling. WES BROWN?? no chance. johnson has as many defensive bones in his body as eboue and is no better than eboue going forward. ivanovic is a good solid defender and handy going forward. bosingwa is ok and i don't know much about cuellar. sagna is still probably the best in the league but yes, i do think eboue would be up there. you'd be surprised the number of interceptions and clearances he makes. he's not a midfielder as he has no composure or vision on the ball. in my opinion

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I think he'd be good at carrying water bottles.