Anti Arsenal media?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
safcftm

Anti Arsenal media?

Post by safcftm »

I've seen this mentioned on here quite often and it certainly seems as if the media tend to talk down the Arsenal as much as possible, whilst wanking over Liverpool (its another big european night on the Kop), Manchester "whoever we draw in the FA Cup our match will be on tele every fucking round" United, and Chelski.

Partly this is shown when Arsenal have claims for penalties etc, as with today, when Sky are very quick to point out how they are "looking for it" etc when they would never say it about Gerrard/ Lampard, and also shown in the Champions League, where Arsenal never seem to be given the number one spot, particularly on ITV, and also on sky where often they are on sky sports extra

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why this bias exists? Often (certainly by fans of Northern clubs) it is thought that there is a pro-London bias in the media (Spurs get wanked over all the time, as do West Ham despite neither actually being big clubs), so Arsenal being talked down by the media is surprising in that respect. Also I would have thought the media would love Arsenal's style of football much more than Chelsea and Liverpool in particular who tend to be dull as fuck

Is it simply because Arsenal dont play the game the media love of flinging as much money around as possible, or is there some more deep rooted reason? I must admit, I'd never really noticed the bias before seeing it mentioned on here, but it is very noticeable

AFC1886

Post by AFC1886 »

Your making me like Sunderland just a little bit! :wink: :wink:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

reading the back page of the daily shitty mail is like reading the a fucking epilogue by a fucking tottenham fan.
LIVERPOOL LOST AGAIN! OH NO! POOR THEM! THEY ARE SUCH A BIG CLUB! THEY DESERVE BETTER!
CHELSEA WON 1-0 AT HOME! FUCKING AMAZING!
What annoys me is when we beat someone 4-0 or 3-0, we're still shown last, depsite a man utd 1-0 or something. AARG!I'm too annoyed right now :banghead:

xDAVEYx

Re: Anti Arsenal media?

Post by xDAVEYx »

safcftm wrote:I've seen this mentioned on here quite often and it certainly seems as if the media tend to talk down the Arsenal as much as possible, whilst wanking over Liverpool (its another big european night on the Kop), Manchester "whoever we draw in the FA Cup our match will be on tele every fucking round" United, and Chelski.

Partly this is shown when Arsenal have claims for penalties etc, as with today, when Sky are very quick to point out how they are "looking for it" etc when they would never say it about Gerrard/ Lampard, and also shown in the Champions League, where Arsenal never seem to be given the number one spot, particularly on ITV, and also on sky where often they are on sky sports extra

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why this bias exists? Often (certainly by fans of Northern clubs) it is thought that there is a pro-London bias in the media (Spurs get wanked over all the time, as do West Ham despite neither actually being big clubs), so Arsenal being talked down by the media is surprising in that respect. Also I would have thought the media would love Arsenal's style of football much more than Chelsea and Liverpool in particular who tend to be dull as fuck

Is it simply because Arsenal dont play the game the media love of flinging as much money around as possible, or is there some more deep rooted reason? I must admit, I'd never really noticed the bias before seeing it mentioned on here, but it is very noticeable
we're a bunch of foreigners mate. usa have rooney, victims have gerrard and spartak have lampard/terry, even the scum have the darling crouchy and that little rat cunt defoe, dont forget golden twitch 'arry...

yeah we play nice football but it isnt english, wenger will always been the foreigner who doesnt like it up his team when twat, fat sam comes to town. no matter that we are the 3rd most successful league club with a title triumph every decade since herbert chapman bar the 1960s, we rarely field an englishman, far less and english side and that is purely because of the premium put on english players which our club does not pay for very often at all. and for that, i personally blame spartak abramovic, because he has ruined football, so cheers roman;

you cunt

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Great points. I'm so pleased to hear that it's not just us that feel that. As far as the bias goes it's due to the fact- in the modern era- that we stopped the bin dippers winning the league in the season of Hillsborough, we also ended their period of dominance and were the powerful force in English football when the times began to change in the late 80s-early 90s. Some say that ITV is controlled by Granada Tv which is north-west based and thus full of scouse/manc lovers. Additionaly, SKY TV is populated by ex-Granada tv people and mid-30s London-based 'fans' who just simply ''loved Johnie Barnes'' and old ''Aldo'' in the Liverpool team of the 80s. This also explains why Heysel is never mentioned and why the bin dippers are never blamed for our ban from European football for 5 years.
Today, of course, we are everything the xeonophobic media hates. We show that football exists beyond 'this scepreted isle' and that Wenger has embarrassed the powers that be by showing just how unprofessional this country's structure was. Bearing in mind the biggest cheats and *word censored* in this country are/were Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Carragher and Shearer, Owen; it does amaze me.

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

xDAVEYx wrote:we're a bunch of foreigners mate. usa have rooney, victims have gerrard and spartak have lampard/terry, even the scum have the darling crouchy and that little rat cunt defoe, dont forget golden twitch 'arry...

yeah we play nice football but it isnt english, wenger will always been the foreigner who doesnt like it up his team when twat, fat sam comes to town. no matter that we are the 3rd most successful league club with a title triumph every decade since herbert chapman bar the 1960s, we rarely field an englishman, far less and english side and that is purely because of the premium put on english players which our club does not pay for very often at all. and for that, i personally blame spartak abramovic, because he has ruined football, so cheers roman;

you cunt
Mate even when we had a bunch of English players the media still hated us.

I've noticed it since about the late 80's and even my Mrs now who hates football has remarked to me time again, "Why does everybody seem to hate Arsenal?"

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

Number 5 wrote:
xDAVEYx wrote:we're a bunch of foreigners mate. usa have rooney, victims have gerrard and spartak have lampard/terry, even the scum have the darling crouchy and that little rat cunt defoe, dont forget golden twitch 'arry...

you cunt
Mate even when we had a bunch of English players the media still hated us
in fairness im not old enough to really remember the subtlties (or lack thereof) of media bias before wenger.

is it SIR henry norris's fault then? :lol: :roll:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Great points. I'm so pleased to hear that it's not just us that feel that. As far as the bias goes it's due to the fact- in the modern era- that we stopped the bin dippers winning the league in the season of Hillsborough, we also ended their period of dominance and were the powerful force in English football when the times began to change in the late 80s-early 90s. Some say that ITV is controlled by Granada Tv which is north-west based and thus full of scouse/manc lovers. Additionaly, SKY TV is populated by ex-Granada tv people and mid-30s London-based 'fans' who just simply ''loved Johnie Barnes'' and old ''Aldo'' in the Liverpool team of the 80s. This also explains why Heysel is never mentioned and why the bin dippers are never blamed for our ban from European football for 5 years.
Today, of course, we are everything the xeonophobic media hates. We show that football exists beyond 'this scepreted isle' and that Wenger has embarrassed the powers that be by showing just how unprofessional this country's structure was. Bearing in mind the biggest cheats and c**ts in this country are/were Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Carragher and Shearer, Owen; it does amaze me.
you might well be onto something with the Granada TV point like, hadn't really thought of that before. Certainly whenever Liverpool play on the ITV's Champions League night, you can pretty much guarantee that they will be on ITV1. Arsenal in contrast always seem to only be available on ITV4 and the likes when ITV showed more than 1 game a week, and on SkySports Extra

Maybe it is also to do with the lack of English players, but bearing in mind the fact that the other 3 in the big 4 are hardly overflowing with english players it seems a strange reason to constantly ignore/ criticise Arsenal (Liverpool often only had 2, in Gerrard and Carragher, before signing Glen Johnson, and one of them is a complete *word censored* who retired from international football because he couldnt stand the fact that we had 4 better centre backs)

Its good getting peoples thoughts on why the bias exists though because it seems strange that even Sky, who absolutely love having a big 4, seem to give arsenal a lot less coverage than the other 3 sides. They have already started licking Man City's arseholes and seem very keen to see them break into the champions league places. If Sky dont like a club because of its lack of English players then maybe they would do well to take a look at themselves as an organisation and realise that they are one of the main reasons why english players are so expensive and, hence, why so few of them get signed by sides like Arsenal due to the fact that there are many other players at least as good, and almost always technically superior, available from other countries for a fraction of the price

As I mentioned earlier though, I think part of the problem Sky have with the Arsenal is that they actually try to bring youngsters (not necessarily English ones, but youngsters nonetheless) through the ranks and into the first team. Sky would much rather see all the "big 4" going out and spunking 30 million quid on star signings every season as it is easier to sell their shite, overpriced packages when there is a new star to showcase on their adverts. In case you havent noticed, i cant fucking stand sky :wink:

stg

Post by stg »

I went on a tour of Highbury a few years ago and Bob Wilson was our guide. We were standing in the home changing rooms and I asked him why the media and other football pundits did not seem to like Arsenal. I thought he was going to say "dont be silly your just imagining it" but he did'nt he said

"It's because they are Jealous of Arsenal the way things are done here. They always have done and always have been it's been like it for as long as I have been invovled with Arsenal"

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

safcftm wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:Great points. I'm so pleased to hear that it's not just us that feel that. As far as the bias goes it's due to the fact- in the modern era- that we stopped the bin dippers winning the league in the season of Hillsborough, we also ended their period of dominance and were the powerful force in English football when the times began to change in the late 80s-early 90s. Some say that ITV is controlled by Granada Tv which is north-west based and thus full of scouse/manc lovers. Additionaly, SKY TV is populated by ex-Granada tv people and mid-30s London-based 'fans' who just simply ''loved Johnie Barnes'' and old ''Aldo'' in the Liverpool team of the 80s. This also explains why Heysel is never mentioned and why the bin dippers are never blamed for our ban from European football for 5 years.
Today, of course, we are everything the xeonophobic media hates. We show that football exists beyond 'this scepreted isle' and that Wenger has embarrassed the powers that be by showing just how unprofessional this country's structure was. Bearing in mind the biggest cheats and c**ts in this country are/were Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Carragher and Shearer, Owen; it does amaze me.
you might well be onto something with the Granada TV point like, hadn't really thought of that before. Certainly whenever Liverpool play on the ITV's Champions League night, you can pretty much guarantee that they will be on ITV1. Arsenal in contrast always seem to only be available on ITV4 and the likes when ITV showed more than 1 game a week, and on SkySports Extra

Maybe it is also to do with the lack of English players, but bearing in mind the fact that the other 3 in the big 4 are hardly overflowing with english players it seems a strange reason to constantly ignore/ criticise Arsenal (Liverpool often only had 2, in Gerrard and Carragher, before signing Glen Johnson, and one of them is a complete c**t who retired from international football because he couldnt stand the fact that we had 4 better centre backs)

Its good getting peoples thoughts on why the bias exists though because it seems strange that even Sky, who absolutely love having a big 4, seem to give arsenal a lot less coverage than the other 3 sides. They have already started licking Man City's arseholes and seem very keen to see them break into the champions league places. If Sky dont like a club because of its lack of English players then maybe they would do well to take a look at themselves as an organisation and realise that they are one of the main reasons why english players are so expensive and, hence, why so few of them get signed by sides like Arsenal due to the fact that there are many other players at least as good, and almost always technically superior, available from other countries for a fraction of the price

As I mentioned earlier though, I think part of the problem Sky have with the Arsenal is that they actually try to bring youngsters (not necessarily English ones, but youngsters nonetheless) through the ranks and into the first team. Sky would much rather see all the "big 4" going out and spunking 30 million quid on star signings every season as it is easier to sell their shite, overpriced packages when there is a new star to showcase on their adverts. In case you havent noticed, i cant fucking stand sky :wink:
Yep.

My stomach turns every time I see their shite adverts peddling the image of "superstars". Its the same media bubble shit that gave spawn to the stupid arguments that Portugal and France had a right to be in the world cup before the play-offs took place.

It makes me almost as angry as those stupid fucking cheerleaders om Twenty20 cricket.

N1AFC

Post by N1AFC »

Why the fuck do people worry so much about what the media think....FUCK THEM!!!!

WE ARE THE ARSENAL AND WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Lets go back to 1970-71

Arsenal Football Club won the double, ten years after the "amazing" Spurs. Spurs played with flair and guile, did the impossible playing Bill Nicks way,.....

then those less fashionable lads from up the Seven Sisters do it as well.....and stop Leeds United from winning their deserved title.....mind you everyone hated and still do dirty Leeds.

Then in 71-72, Arsenal upset the Shankly driving Scouse machine by drawing at Highbury on the final game and therefore allowing Derby to nick the title...the media never forgave us...NEVER...Shankly was devastated.

Roll on to 1988-89 and again....we spoil the Scouse party by taking the title on their turf...
We haev never been loved and we never will.....

but quite frankly i dont give a shit...i like the fact the media hates us, that there is a biased....because it says to me....we are a club of tradition, history and class.....and most of the bias comes for lower class two bob journos who know they cannot write anything decent....wankers

seamoisalegend

Post by seamoisalegend »

tbh it dosnt matter if we wont everything playing a team full of great English players playing pretty football there will always be something to be seen as negative about us and pick up on. Same goes for any club.

RaM

Post by RaM »

Even in this morning's commentary there was some subtle rubbish from the commentators.

For instance they said something about Chel$ki being able to get the job done with little possession while Arsenal waste time with their "pretty little angles". Attempted condescension. :evil:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

They're right though, aren't they Ram? :cry: :roll: :lol: :wink: