Cesc Fabregas - The Most Overrated Player In The Prem?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

antgel wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
cesc has been as regular this season as dennis bergkamp and thierry henry ever were for arsenal.

they, like cesc, destroyed two or three games then did little in one or two.

the difference is, the games that they did little, there were bobby, freddie, sylvain, paddy and co. to do the damage.
And what about the other seasons?

Your memory differs to mine regarding Bergkamp and Henry, excepting their final times when they were getting old and past it. ;) For me, Cesc is notable / influential in maybe half the games he plays for us, whereas the way he is spoken of, you'd think he was bossing nine out of ten games.

I do of course agree that the overall squad at that time was superior to what we have now.

I also notice that nobody replied to my paragraph ^^^ about his actual stats. Assists better than goals, but still I feel that there should be more end product given his god-like status. Don't even compare his goals / game ratio to fat Frank.

Anyway, why do people think that every player is a genius or a shit? Most players are, by definition, somewhere in the middle.

PS So boring how people think that threads that disagree with their opinions shouldn't exist. Maybe these people should have their own personal forums where they could post and reply to themselves and constantly agree about everything. Also funny how people say everyone's entitled to their opinion BUT etc etc.
SPOT ON......WANT TO JOIN THE REVOLUTION? :wink:

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

northbankbren wrote:Look at those games again.......

IM NOT ASKING FOR GOOD GAMES HE HAD......HE'S HAD MANY.

IM ASKING FOR BIG GAMES HE WAS OUR BEST PLAYER AND THE GAMES MENTIONED ABOVE HE WASN'T.

Juve: Pires run the midfeild that night not fabs.

Milan: Diaby

Spuds: READ MY PREVIOUS POSTS :banghead:
Depends how you define your best player then I guess. If scoring the key goal (Juve and Milan) and making one of our greatest ever players look average when he was still a teenager doesn't get him your acknowledgement I guess not much will. Diaby was good in Milan but he didn't put the ball in the net.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

hatemanu99 wrote:
Depends how you define your best player then I guess. If scoring the key goal (Juve and Milan) and making one of our greatest ever players look average when he was still a teenager doesn't get him your acknowledgement I guess not much will. Diaby was good in Milan but he didn't put the ball in the net.
First you call me a bitter spud, look at your forum name mate....not very arsenal is it. nah mancbitterness99 would be more appropriate.

2nd your talking out of your arse saying I dont acknowledge Fabs.........

DONT MIS-QUOTE ME......BACK IT UP WITH A QUOTE. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

READ MY POSTS BEFORE MAKING UP SHIT.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I think Cesc being over-rated is just about individual opinion really. We could all find stats, video clips etc. of him being world class but could equally do so of him being shite.

It's about opinion only, nothing more.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

northbankbren wrote:
hatemanu99 wrote:
First you call me a bitter spud, look at your forum name mate....not very arsenal is it. nah mancbitterness99 would be more appropriate.

2nd your talking out of your arse saying I dont acknowledge Fabs.........

DONT MIS-QUOTE ME......BACK IT UP WITH A QUOTE. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

READ MY POSTS BEFORE MAKING UP SHIT.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Not sure how I'm misquoting you mate if I'm pasting your exact quote above my reply?

Saying pires and diaby were better in those particular games must by definition be failing to acknowledge Cesc if you think they did more than Cesc, which I tried to point out they didn't (in my opinion).

Stop banging your head so much it's turning you insane....

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

i give up. if we had any trophy in our cabinet from the last 3 years, cesc would be considered a legend like any of the invincibles. he is our best player from the last couple of years and suffers from the fact that the rest of the team has deficiencies that do not allow him to lead it to glory.

he plays down speculations to other clubs, he is a midfield boss and maestro since he is 17, he shows passion and desire and he scored THAT goal against the scum and you still think he is overrated.

shame on all of you.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Still no long list of games...... :roll:

mancbitterness99 you put words in my mouth by saying I didnt acknowledge Fabs, if you read my previous posts you would have seen that I think he is a brilliant player but I think he is overrated.

The fact that there isnt a long list of games to argue against my opinion I think back up my argument to a large extent.

Just my opinion of course.

BUT IM RITE :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

hatemanu99 wrote:sorry about that. had a stinker. much like the author of this thread

No problem, mate. Sorted.

hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

northbankbren wrote:Still no long list of games...... :roll:

mancbitterness99 you put words in my mouth by saying I didnt acknowledge Fabs, if you read my previous posts you would have seen that I think he is a brilliant player but I think he is overrated.

The fact that there isnt a long list of games to argue against my opinion I think back up my argument to a large extent.

On your definition in that case Adams and Henry were overrated. Which is clearly utter tripe.

jonny3110

Post by jonny3110 »

northbankbren wrote:Still no long list of games...... :roll:

:banghead: When someone is as consistant as him, you would almost name every single fixture he has played in!!! You actually want a list of games to prove you are wrong when he is the best player nearly every single week???? This has literally got to be the weakest arguement I have ever heard to back up an opinion "wheres this long list of games then??" your a cock. Heres a few highlights of his career off the top of my head:

Arsenal vs Real (yes great solo goal by Henry but Fabs bossed it in both legs)
Arsenal vs Juve (scored and set up Henry's goal)
Arsenal vs ManUre (2007, set up Adebarndoors toepoke to win 1-0, bossed whole game, man of match, in fact he always plays well against them)
Whole 2007/2009 season (literally ran that campaign before Gallas threw a wobly and Eddie broke his leg: and no I cant remember every fixture before you ask you sarcastic idiot)
Fabregas vs AC Milan (enough said)
Arsenal vs Spurs (not just 2 weeks ago but most meets)
Arsenal vs Everton (first game of this season, got us off to a flyer, but of course this isn't a big game. Did same this season against wigan, Alkmaar, Leige, Blackburn, Pompy and was second best behind Arshavin in United game)

100's more, no I cant remember them all. I can only remember about 10 Henry ones aswell of the top of my head. Why, coz he was also the best in the world at his position and did it week in week out, it becomes a blur. Much like Cesc. :banghead:

Don't come back with 'where's the long list' its boring. :roll: You and that geezer with a pig for a picture can both bore off. As a season ticket holder it pains me that kids like you might get to go the Emirates for a Carling Cup game every now and then.

Cant wait for your next post 'wheres the list?' how did I guess :awnker:

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

CYGooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
CYGooner wrote:The only way you can really judge how over/under/correctly rated Cesc is would be for him to be out of the side for a long period, which he was at the end of last season. While we coped without him, I would say that we failed to play football to the same standard as we do when he's in the side. I believe there were at least 4/5 0-0 draws in that period as well, suggesting he is vital to our attacking play, and as such would possibly look better on the pitch with someone doing the dirty work a la flamini.

I think that the media/fans are justified in building him up as he is a class player, and in the case of the fans if we look beyond him who else do we have to rely on? RVP and Arshavin are our other two world class players, ones injured and the other is workshy and has been all season. (I think Russia going out provided a good excuse for Wenger to justify a dip in form.)
i still think that is unfair to alexander song not to acknoledge the good work he's been doing as the dirty-worker. he's not as mobile as flamini was, but he is stronger, tackles well, steals the ball, and is a lot stronger in the air. still has to improve, i know, but is one of our best players this season.

oh, and i'd add rosicky to the 'arsenal's top class players' list. he just hasn't been fit enough, but his class in unbelievable.
I am a massive Song fan, and think he has done a great job for the most part this season but still we would do better with a more mobile DM. Flamini didnt have the brute strength to take all players head on but when he couldnt do that he pestered them, kept up with them and chased back. That was enough to disrupt the play, if not win the ball.

I agree with the Rosicky comment actually, but I'd again say that if fans look past Fabregas we cant rely on Rosicky still as he has been injured/unfit for the last 2 years.
Agree on Song, he has done pretty well. It would be good to see Rosicky gain some good form, I am sure he will.

Cesc I think has done pretty well this season, it is not his fault we do not have enough quality players throughout the team against the likes of Man U Chelsea. :x

digger

Post by digger »

jonny3110 wrote:Don't come back with 'where's the long list' its boring. :roll: You and that geezer with a pig for a picture can both bore off. As a season ticket holder it pains me that kids like you might get to go the Emirates for a Carling Cup game every now and then.
:barscarf: :coffeespit: :happydance: :wailer: :winner: :teeth: :high5: :dance: :bowing21: :ironmyshirt:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

jonny3110 wrote:
:banghead: When someone is as consistant as him, you would almost name every single fixture he has played in!!! You actually want a list of games to prove you are wrong when he is the best player nearly every single week???? This has literally got to be the weakest arguement I have ever heard to back up an opinion "wheres this long list of games then??" your a cock. Heres a few highlights of his career off the top of my head:

Arsenal vs ManUre (2007, set up Adebarndoors toepoke to win 1-0, bossed whole game, man of match, in fact he always plays well against them)
Whole 2007/2009 season (literally ran that campaign before Gallas threw a wobly and Eddie broke his leg: and no I cant remember every fixture before you ask you sarcastic idiot)
Arsenal vs Everton (first game of this season, got us off to a flyer, but of course this isn't a big game. Did same this season against wigan, Alkmaar, Leige, Blackburn, Pompy and was second best behind Arshavin in United game)

100's more, no I cant remember them all. I can only remember about 10 Henry ones aswell of the top of my head. Why, coz he was also the best in the world at his position and did it week in week out, it becomes a blur. Much like Cesc. :banghead:

Don't come back with 'where's the long list' its boring. :roll: You and that geezer with a pig for a picture can both bore off. As a season ticket holder it pains me that kids like you might get to go the Emirates for a Carling Cup game every now and then.

The list is flawed and you know it.

Everton 1st game of the season :coffeespit: ....you are being ironic yeah?
Milan and Juve he was class but not in a class of his own.

But I'll give these to you for argument sake.........WOW A LIST OF 2 GAMES........YOUR AMAZING!!!!!Must be the season ticket.......gives you these extra powers.....the "KIDS" like me dont get :lol:

As for rest of the list TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ MY POSTS, I WONT CONTINUE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

Oh and im a kid and your a season ticket holder :shock: GET IT RITE even my kid knows Fabs is overrated......our best player though.

jonny3110

Post by jonny3110 »

northbankbren wrote:
jonny3110 wrote:

The list is flawed and you know it.

Everton 1st game of the season :coffeespit: ....you are being ironic yeah?
Milan and Juve he was class but not in a class of his own.

But I'll give these to you for argument sake.........WOW A LIST OF 2 GAMES........YOUR AMAZING!!!!!Must be the season ticket.......gives you these extra powers.....the "KIDS" like me dont get :lol:

As for rest of the list TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ MY POSTS, I WONT CONTINUE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS WHICH HAVE BEEN ANSWERED.

Oh and im a kid and your a season ticket holder :shock: GET IT RITE even my kid knows Fabs is overrated......our best player though.
Whats the point in trying to prove you wrong when everytime someone does this you backtrack and go 'The list is flawed'. I think I quoted more than a '2 game' list. Do have a read please! Glad to see you don't have a season ticket, as this sort of unbeleivable negativity for a player of his stature isn't needed inside our 4 walls!! And yes I do have extra powers, probably the view of the pitch I have, as some people clearly have sh*t in their eyes! :lol:

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

Why do we have to name the games whe the stats speak for themselves??!! I'm sorry I don't have a game specific memory, even with Henry I can only anem off top of my head prob away in bernabau and last game at highbury but I know there were plenty of others!! Using stats for this season I an def say that:

Oct 31, 2009 Arsenal H- Tottenham Hotspur Premier League W 3 - 0 - Scored 1

Oct 4, 2009 Arsenal H- Blackburn Rovers Premier League W 6 - 2 - Scored 1 - Assisted 4

Are 2 such games